Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2002, 03:53 PM   #1
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I'm so frustrated! I hate how it will only let me have one NPC at a time. Certain NPC's work better for certain levels in the game but not all of them can pick licks and disarm traps. This makes life very difficult for those of us whose PC's don't have any thieving abilities.

My question is:

How are you all dealing with this? Are you all multi-classing to get some basic rogue skills? Or are you just bashing what you can and ignoring that which you can't do anything about? I hate passing up treasures, but at the same time I don't want to have to multiclass to a rogue just to be able to pick locks.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
MILAMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 04:04 PM   #2
Grindar Silvermane
Manshoon

Location: Temple of Tempus: The High Hall of Swords and Banners
What class are you?
Old 08-20-2002, 04:07 PM   #3
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

I just started last night and I'm a lvl 4 Human Druid now. I wanted to add a couple of levels of fighter and if I did that I would get the XP penalty for adding a third class of rogue. Are there any other options?
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 08-20-2002, 04:11 PM   #4
Grindar Silvermane
Manshoon

Location: Temple of Tempus: The High Hall of Swords and Banners
Get Tomi to join you so you can have him open locks and disable traps. If you need to have different henchman have them join one by one, take them to the temple of Tyr and kick them from your employ. They will stay there, waiting untill you need them again. By having them at the Temple you can pick them up very easily by using the stone of recall
Old 08-20-2002, 04:16 PM   #5
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

That's a good call! I never thought about leaving them there.
Old 08-20-2002, 04:17 PM   #6
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
I just started last night and I'm a lvl 4 Human Druid now. I wanted to add a couple of levels of fighter and if I did that I would get the XP penalty for adding a third class of rogue. Are there any other options?
XP won't affect you as a HUMAN unless you have 3 classes. 1st class is always preferred class. The XP penalty only goes if you have 2 classes not preferred.

I suggest going with Tomi to start off too, or the red Tiger as he will bash the chests. When you get up in levels, you can do most of it yourself. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-20-2002, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Tobbin ]
Old 08-22-2002, 07:20 AM   #7
Arglbarg
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hi,
not sure if this still works if you update the game. but in the version i got
you can easily bash chests. the damage resistance they got only applies to
physical damage. a simple +1 harbringer kin sword e.g. (+ fire damage) will
damage chests even if they resist all the physical damage.
btw. the worst chests i found got 40 damage resistance. no prob with my warrior at all.

Arglbarg
Arglbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:04 PM   #8
Nastymann
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am playing as a Sorcerer, when I chose a familiar I used the Pixie option. She is quite good in fights and is a Rogue so she can open locks...hasn't missed one yet. If she gets hurt just click on her and choose feed and she will heal, give her a reward when she opens a lock or door and she cooperates the next time. She even has magic all her own...lots of fun to have around. So that is how I open locks and doors. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Nastymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 04:38 PM   #9
Psimon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Bash trapped chests with missile weapons- I used crossbow bolts. For the troublesome "tough" chests, I also found spells, like Negative Energy Ray, or elemental type of damage (fire, cold, etc) are useful in cracking them open.

Of course, I'm playing a Rogue, so I rarely have to resort to the methods above. It would be nice if Knock existed in the game, but so far I've yet to run across it.
Psimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 06:09 PM   #10
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Psimon:
Bash trapped chests with missile weapons- I used crossbow bolts. For the troublesome "tough" chests, I also found spells, like Negative Energy Ray, or elemental type of damage (fire, cold, etc) are useful in cracking them open.

Of course, I'm playing a Rogue, so I rarely have to resort to the methods above. It would be nice if Knock existed in the game, but so far I've yet to run across it.
Actually, knock does exist in the game. There are scrolls here and there. I mainly bash the chests, so don't remember exactly which merchant had it, but you can find some in chests sometimes too. I didn't use it until like the 4th chapter and had to open a door that I couldn't bash through so easily. With knock, it just clicked and whirred and then I could open it plain as day. Jeez, wish I had bought more. LOL