Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2002, 03:50 AM   #11
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:
wolfie... have i ever mentioned that i LOVE you ?

well after your explanation i think im not gonna buy any SR item, there are so many nice items in the game and not so much money [img]smile.gif[/img]
You are to cute Ertai (Tell your female friend that I was kidding oki, I don´t like her glaring like that )

Go for the belts that gives you damage reduction from weapons, if you can scrape up the money the greater swordsmans belt is an absolute life saver since most animal and claw attacks are slashing..

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 07:44 AM   #12
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:
wolfie... have i ever mentioned that i LOVE you ?

well after your explanation i think im not gonna buy any SR item, there are so many nice items in the game and not so much money [img]smile.gif[/img]
You are to cute Ertai (Tell your female friend that I was kidding oki, I don´t like her glaring like that )

Go for the belts that gives you damage reduction from weapons, if you can scrape up the money the greater swordsmans belt is an absolute life saver since most animal and claw attacks are slashing..
[/QUOTE]I've also noticed that damage reduction works against magic as well. I was wearing a ring of absorption and got caught in a blade barrier. I just stood there fighting against the drow priestesses until they dropped dead. I also got caught in a fireball (did have some damage done, but it was like 20 or so when everyone else was getting hit for 80 something or other (I think I made my saving throw, didn't make dodge, but then had damage reduction). Damage reduction also works against ALL forms of physical attack. If I use the swordsman's belt, it only appears to help against Swords, etc. Monks (with that stunning fist and fists of fury) can take out a character pretty quick. Takes them a little longer against damage reduction though (they still get a lot of damage through though as they do on average of 54 or so hp's per attack -> They get through about 34 or so hp's per attack against my damage reduction). It's even better when hunting dragons. I could be booty-nekkid and still not getting hit from dragons physical attacks (unless they critical or something). Still gotta worry about breath weapon (but how many dragons use that all the time? I may get hit for 1 or 2 breath attacks, but that's normally about it. Also, even when they use a breath attack, the damage reduction kicks in.) Damage reduction rocks.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:52 AM   #13
WOLFGIR

The only trouble I have with the DR is that it sometimes seems to be a bit buggy.

The damage resistence they added was 20/- which means that normal weapon are the target for this one. the 5/+1 means that a magic sword of +1 or greater doesn´t care about DR at all.

Somehow they have messed things from the ruleset up it seems. Too bad, makes it a bit too easy sometimes.

Old 08-23-2002, 10:02 AM   #14
AndyG
Elminster

Sorry for explaining Magic Resistance wrong. I haven't played D&D since first edition, and back then it was a percentage. I guess I'm a bit out of date.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 10:22 AM   #15
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyG:
Sorry for explaining Magic Resistance wrong. I haven't played D&D since first edition, and back then it was a percentage. I guess I'm a bit out of date.
No problem!
Thing is that they are kinda nice that way writing out percentage when they mean it

Update well for the next adventure! Could save your poor characters life

Old 08-23-2002, 10:24 AM   #16
Vampire

But the guy I fought was just a lil level 6 Barbarian! I am a level 7 Wizard!
I mean surely he didn't have SR!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2002, 11:46 AM   #17
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

he could have had a spell resist item (creature items are on a diferent character page than equipalble (and thusly lootable) items, plus barb's get evasion IIRC.

Spell resistance works more similarly to how magic resistance did in first edition ie 5% per diference in lvl between the caster and target, so a 20th lvl mage vs an illithid (IIRC 9 hd with 90% mag resist) the mind flayer would only have 45% mag resistance vs. that mages spell, however against a lvl 1 mage he would have 130% mag resist (the system was probably considered too confusing and thus dropped in 2nd edition) but traces can still be seen in the 2nd edition game (dispel magic still worked that way)

I put the greater swordsmans belt in one of my bags o' holding, because it seemed too munchkin, with the lesser ring of power giving me regen, and the belt on nothing could hurt me fast enough to take me below 75% of my Hp's even on the hardest difficulty, without a henchmen, so I keep it in a quickslot in case I run into something I can't take (unlikely) and wear the hill giant belt.

another not, damage resist doesn't stack, lesser ring of power (5 reduction from acid/cold/fire/elctrical/physical damage) +ring of elemental resist (-15 damage from cold/fire/acid/elec) you only get the 15 reduced, not 20, with the greater swordsmans belt damage reduction is 20 not 25. most stuff does not stack, AC bonuses have to be different types to stack (deflection/armor/natural/shield/etc)
Old 08-24-2002, 09:48 AM   #18
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
But the guy I fought was just a lil level 6 Barbarian! I am a level 7 Wizard!
I mean surely he didn't have SR!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't played a Barbarian since 1st edition, but if I remember correctly, they do get SR. Supposedly, they can't use magic items, but because they are hardier (like dwarves), are supposed to be able to save better against it.

EDIT: I also believe the barbarian ability to rage will either add to fortude or other saves as well. It used to be if a Barbarian was up against a Mind Flayer, and they raged, the Mind Flayer could not use their psionic attacks on him.

[ 08-24-2002, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Tobbin ]