Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
Klutz
Manshoon

I'm playing through KOTOR (NOT KOTOR 2) the second time now (finished first time light side as a Scout 8 / Sentinel 12) and I'm a little confused about how skill points work for the Jedi classes. For the starting classes, you get 1 (Soldier), 2 (Scout), or 3 (Scoundrel) per level, plus or minus your INT adjustment with a minimum of 1 per level. The NPCs all seem to be consistent with this. Now the manual doesn't specify what exactly the three Jedi classes get, but both Bastila (Sentinel) and Juhani (Guardian) get 2 skill points per level. (I don't recall how many skill points Jolee gets per level.) When my 10 INT Scout switched to Sentinel the first time I played through, I only got 1 skill point per level from then on. In my second game I came to Dantooine with a level 2 Scout (10 INT) with lots of XP saved, and tried all 3 Jedi classes, and for every single class, I always got only 1 skill point per level. Even if I put my attribute points into INT to get it up to 12 (which should give +1 skill points per level), I would still get only 1 skill point per level! I don't understand how the NPC Jedis can get more than 1 skill point per level but my PC can't. Is there something wrong with my game(s) that I can fix? Or am I just doing something completely wrong?

Bonus question: Since there's no dedicated KOTOR forum here at Ironworks, anyone care to share any links to forums that have good information and discussion on KOTOR?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Intelligence bonus.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:48 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Some jedi classes get less skill points, I'm sure of this.

That being said, one with 12 int should have a bonus point, if you don't your game is probably bugged. Did you mod it in any way?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
For specific KotOR and KotOR 2 forums, go here
Old 03-04-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Guardians get the fewest skills, consulars get the highest.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #6
Stratos
Vampire

So you get fewer skill points as a Jedi. I though as much; my Scout with 14 Int didn't get many skill points after he became a Jedi.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:54 AM   #7
Klutz
Manshoon

Yes, but it still seems to be inconsistent.

Bastilla: INT 10, Jedi Sentinel: 2 skill points per level.
Juhani: INT 12, Jedi Guardian: 2 skill points per level.
Jolee: INT 12, Jedi Consular: 1 skill point per level.

Any PC Jedi I've made so far, tried with both INT 10 and 12: 1 skill point per level.

No mods installed; 1.03 patch.

Thanks for the GameBanshee link: doesn't look like there's much useful there, but hey everyone can't be Ironworks [img]smile.gif[/img]

If someone could just validate on their own a Jedi PC of any kind that gets more than 1 skill point per level as a Jedi and tell me about that specific character, that would be great.

Thanks all!
Old 03-05-2005, 03:09 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I'm certain I got more than one point, but then I always get at least 14 int.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #9
Riftmaker
Elminster

Did you check the manual? I'm almost positive it has the information you're looking for.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #10
Klutz
Manshoon

Yep. It's a very good manual, but annoying in that respect. It tells you excatly when and how many feats, force powers, and attack rating bonuses you get at each level... but not skill points. The skill development of the three non-Jedi classes I believe are described verbally (something like minor, moderate, and good skill development or something) but never numerically (though it apparently is 1+INT for Soldier, 2+INT for Scout, and 3+INT for Scoundrel). I don't think the Jedi classes even get a verbal description. I'll check again at home.

What is the most frustrating is that the game itself appears self-contradictory: there's no way that Jolee or my Jedi PC should be getting only 1 skill point per level with 12 INT, but that's exactly what is happening. I'm loath to create a 14 or 16 INT character and play them up to Dantooine as a level 2 character just to get a definite answer on this, but I may have to do exactly that.

My current game has a 10 INT Level 2 Scout saved by the Jedi Council with enough XP to become level 7 (9 total) in any Jedi class. No combination of leveling or Jedi class selection I have tried so far (including boosting INT at levels 4 and 8 to get the +1 bonus at 12) has resulted in more than 1 skill point per level as a Jedi.

Anyway, thanks all for the feedback and more is, of course, welcome. I'll keep checking and post if I find anything out.