Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Right...
I'm playing NWN without any expansions just about to start the game (downloading patch right now... 61.5MB on dial up :-S)...
Before I start have some questions about henchmen. Now in Baldurs Gate the characters that joined your party became fully under your control. In fact once joined there became almost no difference between main character and party member.
How is it in NWN? How much control you have over henchmen? Do they stay in party forever? How many can you have at a given time? Do they gain XP, level-up gain skills feats attributes in same way as main character (ie you chose class, skill, feat... etc for them). Do you chose their spells? Are there any who wont work together (dont spoil here just give their names if there are any)? Any more info about henchmen is welcome.

And also XP. Is it same way as in BG and IWD series meaning it is divided equally between all party members (player and henchmen)... If so is it possible to reach maximum level 20? How many henchemn you need for that?

All the questions above refer to the original single player campaign (NO EXPANSIONS!!!).

Thanks all...
Old 09-27-2004, 01:16 PM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

You can have one henchman at a time in the original campaign. They all have a quest in three of the chapters for you to complete. They stay with you until you tell them to leave. They do level up when you do, but you've no control over how they do it.
In addition to henchmen, you can control one familiar (which you can possess, and thereby control as well as your main character, even if you cannot determine exactly how they level up), one animal companion, and one summon at the same time for a party of five in total.
You can set some things on henchmen, like whether they use melee or ranged weapons, stay close or linger a bit behind, and so on, but nothing fancy.
In general you'll be telling them to Attack or Hold and that's about it. They do not have inventories for you to manage.
Also, all of the above reduce the xp gained by you.

With the expansions, you gradually gain more control over henchmen (tell them which class to level in, tell them to cast a certain spell, manage their inventory, and so on), but you still cannot tell them exactly what to do.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 01:31 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Right then thanks....

So is it possible to do all henchmen quests? ie do one then leave the henchmen take anther do his quests and so on?
And assuming I play with 1 henchmen and an animal companion/familiar (think I'll play a druid so will have animal companion but no familiar)... is it possible to reach level 20??
Old 09-27-2004, 03:13 PM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

Possible perhaps, but not probable and not necessary either. And yes, you can do all henchman quests that way.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 07:12 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Henchmen suck. If you want someone to go roaming around at random, though, they're great. You can also count on them to cast every memorized spell they have at the first sight of a wee goblin. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
Right then thanks....

So is it possible to do all henchmen quests? ie do one then leave the henchmen take anther do his quests and so on?
Not only that, but since they're level-based you can use one henchman for most of the chapter, finish their quest, then pick up another one and just breeze through the rest. This requires picking up interesting items you might find that seem henchman-related, but it's pretty easy to do all henchman quests once you get the hang of it.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:14 AM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

I played through the game with a solo Monk and reached lv. 18, so it's unlikely you'll get to lv. 20 with a henchman.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:50 AM   #8
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I'm in chapter 2 now...

I'm soloing, so in chapter 1 used no henchmen, just sometime Tomi to open chests and disarm traps, and then leave him after that... I did all the henchmen quests...

But now in chapter 2 after talking to the henchmen in the journal I get that he will continue his tale only after I'm of higher level and have spent enough time adventuring with him so he may call me his friend... that second part was never there before.. does it mean that to complete his quest I have to actually travel with him for a while and simply talking to him as I level higher like I did in chapter 1 is not enough? How can I do all hebnchmen quests?
Old 10-17-2004, 06:39 AM   #9
Stratos
Vampire

You do the same as you did in chapter 1. No reason of having him tag along if you don't need him.