Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2002, 06:07 AM   #11
Lifetime
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
Lifetime,
very important is that Melbourne is NOT pronounced: "Mel-born"
[img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img]
It is said: "Mel-bn" - but think of a very short, flat 'e' between the 'b' and the 'n'.
(there is actually a term for this sound, that is not officially a vowel, but a passing sound between consonants - I have forgotten it though)
Listen to how it's said because it is like sticking a big "I'm new here" sign on top of your head.

Other eg.s are "Brisbn" - not Bris-Bane and "Canbra" - not Can-beh-rah

(the winner was Sydney, not Sidenee!)

PS, everytime someone buys you a drink, you must buy them two in return, then they buy you four back, you buy them eight and so on. This may sound scary but it won't take long for someone to pass out, or get arrested.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]

Hah right now I'm pronouncing Melbourne as Mel-burn..Should be alright I guess. I have good pronounciation [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'll get the hang of it..
Old 01-09-2002, 06:41 AM   #12
Pangur Ban

quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
Fantastic that was what I was looking for! Thanks Pangur Ban!

Anytime !!

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific questions ...

Other info ...

Mel-bn has one of the oldest rollercoasters in the world, it is the only one in the world that has a person standing in between the cars to operate a manual brake! It's in a place called Luna Park, in St Kilda. Acland St, also in St Kilda has some of the best cake shops you will ever find - gooey, calorie filled, cakes, yumm .. [img]graemlins/nicekitty.gif[/img]

Mel-bn has many festivals well worth exploring - Comedy, Film, Fringe ( Offbeat entertainment ) The Mel-bn Zoo is world famous. There is a friendly? rivalry between Syd-knee and Mel-bn.

When do you arrive ?

Pang.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:13 AM   #13
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Hoping to get there by the 28th if all goes well. I've had some trouble applying for my student visa but thank god its alright now. Still, a visa takes time so.. Wait and Pray..

And I wont have much time to go exploring the city. Boarding school can suck [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2002, 08:25 PM   #14
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

*Bumping for Wilhelm* [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2002, 11:45 AM   #15
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Im curious as to where you hail from. Im not a native so i cant really recommend any good resturants except for this one little hamburger joint in Mentone. Awesome burgers [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dont call MacDonalds MacDonalds... here its McChucks [img]smile.gif[/img] Dont get caught drinking Dr. Pepper ... people will run away screaming.

Harrys Liquor is the cheapest place to buy booze that Ive seen. Dandenong Market is a great place to buy fruit and vegies.

Oh yeah, come over and I'll drink a slab of VB with ya VB means Victoria Bitter and its probably the most popular beer in the city [img]smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, stop in for a visit [img]smile.gif[/img] Email me and we'll hook up [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2002, 11:53 AM   #16
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthdog:

Dont call MacDonalds MacDonalds... here its McChucks [img]smile.gif[/img] Dont get caught drinking Dr. Pepper ... people will run away screaming.

Seriously, stop in for a visit [img]smile.gif[/img] Email me and we'll hook up [img]smile.gif[/img]
Don't call McDonalds MacDonalds either unless you want Davros jumping down your ear 'ole!

[ 06-14-2002, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-14-2002, 02:58 PM   #17
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

The trick to surviving in Melbourne is to move to Sydney

It was my second home for a while. I had a band down there, and we recorded and promoed down there a lot. Before that Leonis and I played down there, mixed an album out in Warandyte, made a couple of videos (one at Wilson's Promontory) and generally had a good time whenever we visited that lovely city.

The food's good, the Greeks are plentiful the coffee is also splendid.

Areas to the immediate east and south of the city are nicest, food richest, most nightlife intensive and generally fun places to be.

St Kilda, Richmond, Carlton and Hawthorn (pronownced Haw-thawn, not Hawthn or Hawthorn) are pretty hip. They even have their own footy teams.

Pick one team to support. Prefferably the Sydney Swans if you like winners. They moved from South Melbourne to Sydney. See. They knew.

There's a good church in Whitehorse near the city hall there. CCC Whitehorse it's called. If you're into that, I can recomend it as a funky, alive, place with loving pretty hip people. Really good music.

Luna Park in St Kilda is pretty cool. The beach there is ok. but flat. If you want waves (you're in Australia, you'll learn to love waves) bells beach is just outside Melbourne. Anywhere outside the bay - to the south and southeast should be cool.

The Dandenong Mountains to the direct east on the perimeter of the city are very, very, very pretty. If you need air go there.

Try and live near a tram line. For all the jokes they get, they are the best way to get around.

I wish Sydney kept theirs (wait did I say that?)

There's good clothes shopping around the famous Church Street.

There's some good produce shopping at Prahran. Actually, I just wanted to talk about Prahran. It's pronounced Pran.

"Grouse" sounds gross but means good. Footy is Australian rules and nothing else, and in summer it gets bloody hot.

Except you are from Singapore, so that means it gets mildy warm.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 06-14-2002, 09:46 PM   #18
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well I think that all South Australians would give you the advice that Victorians cant drive [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] So WATCH OUT! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2002, 03:02 AM   #19
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Man this topic is old [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
I guess it came up at a good time, seeing as how I've spent nearly half a year here already. Learnt more from living here with Aussies than all the guidebooks and learned australians (no offence to guidebook writers and learned australians) will ever teach me.
Earthdog>>exactly where in Melbourne are you? I'm stuck in hip college-town Hawthorn
Old 06-15-2002, 03:07 AM   #20
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

I see that in all the time you've been here, you have done a great job of hiding from my celica and it's psychopathic, bloodshot-eyed driver (name has been removed to protect the.......innocent).