Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2004, 12:28 AM   #11
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Ugh... again, Bullwinkle?

Box.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:14 AM   #12
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Personally I don't bother trying to figure out which one is the best. One mans meat is another mans poison and my meat is usually everyone elses poison so I just go with what I preffer.

FYI however I have had the PS2 and Xbox since they came out and the Gamecube for about a week now. I also have much older consoles which I play occasionally. Personally I find that each console has games to offer that others do not. To be as specific as one can, Halo on the XBOX and FFX on the PS2, along with Metroid Prime on the GC. Maybe not enough to push anyone else towards a console but those three games are the sole reasons I bought each console. Of course I did know that more FF games would come across the PS2 so that is an added bonus. I also knew that Halo 2 would grace the XBOX which is another added bonus.
The Gamecube was cheap so the cost to play Metroid Prime wasn't all that high. I may not have looked further to what it has to offer but I am more than sure that something will pop up and appeal to me if I only took the time to look.

Also, although it is out of the equation, I am enjoying the Gameboy Advance SP more than any of them at the moment. Is it better than the PS2, XBOX or GC? Hell no. But wait a minute! Why the hell am I having such a ball on this thing then? I'm not exactly playing it outside the home so it can't be the portability and I'm not linking it up to the gamecube to play on the big screen, so what exactly is it that I'm enjoying so much? It is those couple of games that are only available on the Gameboy Advance (SP) which have really taken my fancy and I know I cannot play anywhere else.

Therefore, 3 current consoles, 3 heavily suped up PC's and a Gameboy advance SP away I find only one thing. They are all the same crap at the end of the day. They all give us fun and they all get boring. If you have to stick to one console than it can be pretty damn tough to make a decision although I would go PS2 and that is NOT because I may or may not believe it is the better machine but because it has Final Fantasy. If it didn't it may not be my choice but that is not something I can really decide unless really forced upon it.

So, with Final Fantasy X finished, Halo finished, Metroid Prime finished and every damn game I own on my PC finished without anything out to appeal to me til UT2003 or Doom 3, Half Life 2 comes out, I find that the Gameboy is my best enjoyment at the moment.

Conclusion? By my personal experience and speaking for it alone, I find that the consoles, PC's, handhelds or what ever other gaming device is out there, they are only as good as the games last. Walk into your local EB (games) store for a couple of months straight only to find that there's nothing really appealing to you and the scales really turn!

Edit: UT2004 is what it shoulda been...heh

[ 01-08-2004, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Bokken ]
Old 01-08-2004, 11:41 AM   #13
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Again
anyway yeah x box definatly has peformance, and backing of a masive corporation (way off the subject ever tried typing (xx) in a msn messenger conversation).
But personally i would choose PS2 it is now especially cheap and has gta3 and vice city.
Game cube has metroid prime and that is awsome but still PS2
Old 01-08-2004, 04:28 PM   #14
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I never said there weren't games for GC that weren't kiddy oriented, Nano, just making the point that if you want to get your 6 yr old a gaming console, youd get him a GC and let him have fun with pokemon. Plus, Enter Matrix is made for every gaming console out there [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2004, 05:48 PM   #15
Zero Alpha

Everyone says things like 'xbox has best graphics', and 'PS2 sold most' in these kind of debates. thing is GC's graphics are better than the Xbox, because even though microsofts effort has high specs, they barely use them. sales of the ps2 are only evidence of better marketing. [img]smile.gif[/img]

also, the argument that gamecube games are kiddie games is really ignorant. just because there main aim is not cause as much destruction as possible, doesnt make the game any less good . fun is always the order of the day, and in that they excel. and fun had no age limits!

also, PC is better than all three consoles, so the argument is flawed anyway. why not take account of the worlds number 1 gaming system?
Old 01-08-2004, 06:38 PM   #16
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Not knowing anything about any of these consoles, I feel that I should share my deep level of knowledge and understanding with the board. X-Box is Microsoft so is probably extrememly annoying and built on the backs of the poor/suffering etc. designed to extract money from the populace in the most sly/underhanded ways possible.

PS2 is good but Sony don't have as much experience in the console market as Nintendo who have been in the game for like 20 years so therefore the GameCube has to be the best, based on my solid reasoning.

Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-08-2004, 06:47 PM   #17
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
even though microsofts effort has high specs, they barely use them.
http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault..._2k3_8min.html I take it these are only average? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2004, 07:10 PM   #18
Black Dragon
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Not knowing anything about any of these consoles, I feel that I should share my deep level of knowledge and understanding with the board. X-Box is Microsoft so is probably extrememly annoying and built on the backs of the poor/suffering etc. designed to extract money from the populace in the most sly/underhanded ways possible.

PS2 is good but Sony don't have as much experience in the console market as Nintendo who have been in the game for like 20 years so therefore the GameCube has to be the best, based on my solid reasoning.

GO VASKEZ!!!
Black owns!<br />Dragons rule!!<br /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/blackdragonpic.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /> <b>If the media decided that breathing wasn\'t \"cool\" anymore, half the teenage population would be gone.</b> --Someguy
Old 01-08-2004, 07:19 PM   #19
Black Dragon
Zhentarim Guard

um... sorry for the extremely short response earlier, just his lil speech there motivated me... lol
Black owns!<br />Dragons rule!!<br /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/blackdragonpic.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /> <b>If the media decided that breathing wasn\'t \"cool\" anymore, half the teenage population would be gone.</b> --Someguy
Old 01-08-2004, 10:03 PM   #20
GokuZool
Lord Ao

There is no "best" console. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. The best console is the one which has the most games which appeal to you. Based on this, my favourite is the PS2, with the GCN in close second.