Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2001, 06:24 AM   #1
Dramnek_Ulk

Some one a while ago asked for info about Vecna i found this:

EYE OF VECNA
(Cursed Artifact)
Special:
Doubles all 1st Level Mage Spells
Doubles all 2nd Level Mage Spells
+35% Resistance to Magic
+4 Save vs. Death Magic
-3 to Wisdom
-3 to Intelligence
Weight: 0

Many tales are told of the arch-lich Vecna.

It is said that Vecna was one of the Planes' mightiest sorcerers, able to draw life from dust and send it back again, extinguish lives with a glance, and make the earth shudder beneath his touch. He was said to be so powerful that when the end of his life drew near, death refused to take him into its kingdom.

And so Vecna died, yet lived on.

Abandoned by death, Vecna became the master of a vast kingdom on a prime world called Oerth. Neither kind nor just, Lord Vecna's rule was one of great horror and suffering, and it is said his reach was so great that even the Powers of Oerth feared to cross him for fearing of drawing his eye.

Yet, while Vecna's gaze traveled ever outward in search of new conquests, he failed to see his own end when it came for him... in the form of his lieutenant, Kas.

As was fitting for Vecna's left hand servant, the arch-lich had fashioned a terrible weapon for his lieutenant as a symbol of his authority. Vecna made this weapon with such skill it is said that part of the sorcerer entered the blade, and it was this sliver of Vecna that gave the blade its life and its treacherous nature. Where once there was lifeless steel, there became thought, intent, and, perhaps most horrible of all, a voice.

The sword whispered treacheries to the ambitious Kas, night upon night, month upon month, year upon year, until one night, the remains of Kas' discipline was seduced by the rippling edge of the blade. Convinced by his blade that he was Vecna's superior, Kas confronted his dread master upon his Dessicated Throne, and the two of them fought a terrible battle.

During the battle, Kas was killed, but before he fell, his blade had dismembered his former master, scattering his remains so that no one may draw them together again. And so it has come to pass that pieces of Vecna have made their way across the Planes... one of these is the Eye of Vecna. It carries with it a bloody, violent history, so much so that many scholars refuse to speak of its treacheries, for fear the eye will come to them, seeking to add another victim to its bloody chronology.

The Eye of Vecna was instrumental in the extermination of the House of Hyeric, once the ruling dynasty in Nyrond. It is said to have been behind the sundering of the Conclave of Tyssis-on-the-Sea, which led to the three-cycle war that poisoned the seas of Malhatai and left the oceanic world barren of life. On the ashen Plane of Ghalentir, it possessed the gentle father of Sasaran, a babe with the potential to lead his suffering people from their shadowed lands to the Gates of Paradise... had not the eye drove Sasaran's father to murder his son as he lay sleeping in his crib. All these kingdoms, all these futures, the Eye of Vecna laid waste.

The Eye's powers are said to shift with each new owner, but one thing is certain: no good ever comes from whoever has the misfortune to possess it. It is destined to betray its wearer at a critical moment, failing him when he needs its power the most.

Old 05-19-2001, 08:54 AM   #2
Vampire

Great Thread!!!
Thanks...since I asked about it!
What about the hand of Velcna?
I think I wouldn't mind using it? Mmmmm...I take that back.
Old 05-19-2001, 10:12 AM   #3
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

They....slaughtered..........my.........step-brother.

Don't worry Vecna, Arch Lich Wah will reign supreme and take your place.

(PS: Nice Info)

------------------

Greetings Mortals. My Name Is Wah, Arch Lich Wah.
Old 05-19-2001, 12:03 PM   #4
Dramnek_Ulk

I also found this story:

Head of Vecna
If you aren't a role-player, you might not get this ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From Steve Jackson Games website....
Many years ago (back when we all were still playing D & D), I ran a game where I pitted two groups against each other.

Several members of Group One came up with the idea of luring Group Two into a trap. You remember the Hand of Vecna and the Eye of Vecna that were artifacts in the old D&D world where if you cut off your hand (or your eye) and replaced it with the Hand of Vecna (or the Eye) you'd get new awesome powers? Well, Group One thought up The Head of Vecna.

Group One spread rumors all over the countryside (even paying Bards to spread the word about this artifact rumored to exist nearby). They even went so far as to get a real head and place it under some weak traps to help with the illusion. Unfortunately, they forgot to let ALL the members of their group in on the secret plan (I suspect it was because they didn't want the Druid to get caught and tell the enemy about this trap of theirs, or maybe because they didn't want him messing with things).

The Druid in group One heard about this new artifact and went off in search of it himself (I believe to help prove himself to the party members...) Well, after much trial and tribulation, he found it; deactivated (or set off) all the traps; and took his "prize" off into the woods for examination. He discovered that it did not radiate magic (a well known trait of artifacts) and smiled gleefully.

I wasn't really worried since he was alone and I knew that there was no way he could CUT HIS OWN HEAD OFF. Alas I was mistaken as the Druid promptly summoned some carnivorous apes and instructed them to use his own scimitar and cut his head off (and of course quickly replacing it with the Head of Vecna...)

Some time later, Group one decided to find the Druid and to check on the trap. They found the headless body (and the two heads) and realized that they had erred in their plan (besides laughing at the character who had played the Druid)...The Head of Vecna still had BOTH eyes! They corrected this mistake and reset their traps and the Head for it's real intended victims...

Group Two, by this time, had heard of the powerful artifact and decided that it bore investigating since, if true, they could use it to destroy Group One. After much trial and tribulation, they found the resting place of The Head of Vecna! The were particularly impressed with the cunning traps surrounding the site (one almost missed his save against the weakest poison known to man). They recovered the Head and made off to a safe area.

Group Two actually CAME TO BLOWS (several rounds of fighting) against each other argueing over WHO WOULD GET THEIR HEAD CUT OFF! Several greedy players had to be hurt and restrained before it was decided who would be the recipient of the great powers bestowed by the Head... The magician was selected and one of them promptly cut his head off. As the player was lifting The Head of Vecna to emplace it on it's new body, another argument broke out and they spent several minutes shouting and yelling. Then, finally, they put the Head onto the character.

Well, of course, the Head simply fell off the lifeless body. All members of Group Two began yelling and screaming at each other (and at me) and then, on their own, decided that they had let too much time pass between cutting off the head of a hopeful recipient and put the Head of Vecna onto the body.

SO THEY DID IT AGAIN!... [killing another PC]

In closing, it should be said that I never even cracked a smile as all this was going on. After the second PC was slaughtered, I had to give in (my side was hurting)...

And Group Two blamed ME for all of that...

------------------
"Then Bane, seeing the lifelessness and ruin in the middle of such beauty
smiled,
and spoke with a voice like that of carrion: "Let this place resonate with
new songs;
the cries of the warrior, the melody of clashing swords, the harmony of iron
shod
boots marching in unison over the stones, the crescendo of the death wail,
and the
chorus of the widow's lament. Let this place be a tapestry upon which I shall
paint
new scenes, and blood and ash shall be my pigments. These are the things that
I
cherish, and they shall dominate this place, as they do wherever the hearts of
men
are weak and quick to desire."

Old 05-19-2001, 04:31 PM   #5
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Lol, great story, it must have been funny to have 3 PC's kill themselves over a worthless head
Old 05-19-2001, 04:51 PM   #6
Lord Shield

You may remember in Torment, when Fall-from-Grace asks Morte how he died:
"Morte, how did you die?"
"Well, have you heard of the Head of Vecna?"
"That was you?"
"It's kind of embarassing"
He COULD have been winding her up
I read this story in a Knights of the Dinner Table comic with a strip similar to this where the group kliled themselves (except Sara) trying to get the Hand

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp

Old 05-20-2001, 02:27 AM   #7
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Im still pissed I didnt get to find out how morte died and whats in graces diary.

------------------
Welcome to hell.
Old 05-20-2001, 02:38 AM   #8
Blade Soulreaver
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Both of those Stories were in KODT one was written because of the other. The talking two handed sword actually makes a reference to KODT he says "My brother was a +12 Hackmaster" which everyone knows is Dave's characters sword
Old 05-20-2001, 03:49 AM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

whats really in graces diary??? hmmm...

nice eye... rip off with the stats though.. minus 3 to Wis and Int??? nevermind

------------------

I am Bahamut... and this Chiharu.