Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2001, 06:12 AM   #121
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
Never saw that Memmie (was channel surfing betwee the cricket and the boxing (whoops, rugby ). But what is this Donut - surely not an example of an Englishman who can't handle his alcohol and spills his drink .

Let me clarify a couple of things. Firstly the person who threw the can of beer is unlikely to be English although it is possible that he was British. He was probably a British Pakistani or maybe an Australian throwing the tin to one of his mates .

Secondly, I thought you knew enough about me to know that I would never throw a FULL tin of beer away.

Thirdly, I understand that 'heading the beer can' is to become a national sport in Australia now that you are so good at it - any truth?

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 06-25-2001, 10:16 AM   #122
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Ah Donut,

Good repostes to the triumphantAussies , good to see your spirits remain undiminished. Yes, this McRae chap got 7 weeks and no one can argue that it wasn't deserved. I scored the rest of the match pretty even - the odd standing eight count, but the Lions edged away for a unanimous points decision in the closing rounds.

So what's this dribble I read in the British press - Aussie louts hit our brave lads?? So just when did the Lions forward pack achieve sainthood?

Yup, the Socceroos are through to a play-off for entry to the World Cup - bring on Brazil - they look like finishing 5th in South America don't they.

Oh, and the beer throwing incident (or should we call that the alcohol wastage episode) - I hadn't seen the incident when I wrote my first reply. Having seen the incident I will agree that it wasn't an Englishman - they take better care of their drinks - whoops, is this your coat?

------------------
Old 06-25-2001, 01:16 PM   #123
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Allow an Englisman to explain to you who this Australian is. Duncan McRae is the former Saracens (that's my team) stand off - he left at the end of last season. His main claim to fame, and perhaps this is why he needed to beat the shit out of O'Gara while he was on the ground, was that he was the player who had his ribs broken by Martin Johnson in a cup game last season. Johnson was banned for 5 weeks for the use of the knee. McRae also played full back for Western Australia asainst the Lions

McRae has been banned for 7 weeks for the assault. It shouldn't suprise anyone that this happened, it's an attempt to soften the tourists up before the test matches. Dallaglio has retuned home and Greenwood is out of the first test. Keith Wood is injured and if he is ruled out the wheels might come off.

Dammit I was just going to post the same info. I didn't realise it myself until I read it on another message board. He could have gone for Johnson instead - that would have been funny to see.

As for an attempt to soften us up, yeah wouldn't disagree, but we're not doing a bad job of it ourselves. Another thoery is, by making the build up games physical, the Lions won't be ready for the 'quick flowing style' that the Aussies are going to use and 'shock' us with. I would imagine we have a few things up our sleeves.

Apparently Wood could be OK for the match. It's the backs that are in real trouble though, there aren't many players of the same quality to replace them - especially Fly-Half.

I would also like to add to something I said above, which I don't think is clear. I believe there is an 'anti-Lions' campaign, however, as is often the case, it is a small minority raising their voices louder than the rest.

On another note entirely - Wimbledon has just started. Great - This means 2 weeks of blanket coverage by the BBC and at least three months worth of rain in a week. (Why do we get called 'Whingeing Poms' ). Hingis is out already, things might start getting interested.

Arghhhhhh - just found out the match tomorrow starts at 6am , I think I'll stay in bed.

[This message has been edited by Staralfur (edited 06-25-2001).]
Old 06-29-2001, 12:38 PM   #124
Davros
Takhisis Follower

BUMPeroooooney

Just dusting off an old treasured friend in preparation for tomorrow night's celebrations . And for all my misguided friends who will be supporting the Lions tomorrow, I give you some words from the Men at Work song :

Can you hear, can you hear the thunder
You better run, you better take cover.

Davr smiles and has another vegemite sandwich. The barbie is all set up for tomorrow evening - just 5 or 6 mates, and a token Brit to field all the good natured barbs (and to probably get sprayed all over with beer at the end - we're not to careful apparently at keeping things in the glass ). Good luck Donut.

------------------
Old 06-29-2001, 03:44 PM   #125
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Serious predictions (I'm ignoring Davros's above, 'cause he obvously drinks cider );

I hate to say it but I reckon a win for Australia. I wouldn't like to say by how much, it could be very close (or not), but I think we'll known within 5 minutes or so. Our forwards have the slight edge, but it's not enough to counteract the Aussie backs - too many key players out or just not playing well.Before everyone gets the wrong idea, I'm not writing off us at all, if the Lions play as well as they did for the middle section of the Queensland Reds match, then the Wallabies will be in serious trouble. We just need a bit of spirit that seems to lacking in 'some' of the matches so far.

More importantly... the match kicks off at 10am here. Pubs don't start serving until 11 (10:30 if you're lucky). I guess I'll just have to wait to celebrate the 5 tries the Lions are going to score before I can buy any beer.

COME ON THE LIONS!!!!!!

Old 07-02-2001, 06:00 PM   #126
Davros
Takhisis Follower

SIGH, hasn't this thread gone away, or died down yet!!! (prepares to repel boarders and dodge incoming). Those Ashes tests are about to start aren't they .

------------------
Old 07-03-2001, 05:43 AM   #127
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
SIGH, hasn't this thread gone away, or died down yet!!! (prepares to repel boarders and dodge incoming). Those Ashes tests are about to start aren't they .

You don't know how desperate I was that the board was up and running again before saturday.

Someone told me Australia were the world champions and that Southern hemisphere rugby was superior to Northern. They can't have been serious can they?

Australia were completely outplayed in all aspects of the game and it was only the old failing of only playing for 60 minutes that allowed you back in. I'm sure the token brit at your barbeque had great fun that's if you weren't watching the Big Brother highlights by that time. 29-3 down - you must have thought it was the end of the world.

Swing low sweet chariot, crying cockels and mussels alive alive-o, O flower of Scotland, feed me now and ever more.

The good news is that 3,000 more Lions supporters are heading to Australia for the Sydney test. Apparently there was not enough red in the crowd last saturday.

Three days bragging rights lost because the board was down - four days left. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, is this the time to ask Memnoch about the State of Origin decider - no I'll keep that in reserve in case the cricket doesn't go well.

------------------

Old 07-03-2001, 05:57 AM   #128
Donut
Jack Burton

BTW - I forgot to mention that today's game is of very little relevance.

------------------

Old 07-03-2001, 07:52 AM   #129
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
BTW - I forgot to mention that today's game is of very little relevance.

Okay, I've seen the final result and we won so please ignore my previous post, this is obviously a very important game.

BTW - Davros, I've just heard the news, Sol Cambell has signed for Arsenal.

------------------

Old 07-03-2001, 07:54 AM   #130
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hmm Donut, could that last post about relevance have been made when your guys were down and behind against Canberra B???? Now that they have come through and won have you changed your mind any . Nice to see such a gracious winner as that insufferable Healey fellow - gives a whole new breath of air to the term sportsmanship doesn't he.

On a lighter tone, I thought your A side put up an impressive performance on Saturday (cringe), and thoroughly deserved their win (and I contrast the admirable sportsmanship of your Mr Johnston with that other prat I mentioned above). I will be looking for a bit more affort from our guys in the next test - they will be better for the hit out.

Ah, important things - YES, the mighty Maroons stormed back to win the Origin Decider - the greatest comeback in Rugby League history for King Alfie. I now Memmsie will be crying in his beer, as will his fellow Cockroach supporters.

And last but not least, what a terrible time for you with the board down for a couple of days, and not being able to taunt us Aussies. Tell me Memsie, did you get a swag of Emails from our favourite desert pastry over the weekend. I know that I got 3 from him - something about "The Lions Roar" or something. He wasn't going to let Ziroc's problems get in hs way now was he . Have your fun while you can Donut, the cricket starts soon .

------------------