Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2003, 05:17 PM   #1
WillowIX
Apophis

Arrow

OK it's final! I'm about to inherit the hubby's ATI Radeon 9700 Pro since he is about to get a new card from work. So basically what I want to know is if there is anyone here that has (Or has had) such a card. Is there any compatibility issues I should be aware of? According to the hubby and several articles on the net the 9700 Pro beats the living *censored* out of my FX 5600. But I know several members had trouble running for instance W&W with a Radeon card and I love that game and would hate to lose it. Any info is greatly appreciated. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2003, 06:18 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Do you actualy have something that can stretch a GeforceFX 5600 to a *fraction* of its limits?

Thought not. You probably wont see any real performance difference between those cards on any game in the next 2 years.

So, given that there are compatability issues with the radeon, I would say you should probably stick with the card you have.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:23 PM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I got ATI Radeon 8500, so far I've no trouble playing any games.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:09 AM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Do you actualy have something that can stretch a GeforceFX 5600 to a *fraction* of its limits?

Thought not. You probably wont see any real performance difference between those cards on any game in the next 2 years.

So, given that there are compatability issues with the radeon, I would say you should probably stick with the card you have.
Hey Willow, as you probably already know the 5600 fell flat on it's back side. Nvidia won't even allow it to compete in the same ring as the 9700. Considering it to run with the lighter 9000 series.
What some folks may or may not know, Half Life 2, and Doom 3 are in the video card testing stages now. You can see what will and will not be avaiable to you and your system in the Aug Maximum PC, and I'll tell ya, it's a smoker.

Now, as far as compatability, first thing you need to do is goto ATI.com and download the "most" current driver, or suite, card dependent. Then expect to see stuff in games that you have never experienced before. I have never had any, not one bit of this compatability issue problem. I think it's just a bunch of ijits who can't put widgits together correctly, and can't accept their personal shortcomings so they blame it on hardware.
W&W, you will need to find that file Radeon specific for that old game. I cannot get that to run on XP, so have not played since Spring 02.

Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:15 AM   #5
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:

Exactly andrew! I have stated that to the hubby several times. But I am awaiting Deus Ex 2 which looks to take a pretty hefty toll on your graphics. Anyway, it's not easy to withstand the hubby since he's working at a certain Canadian computer company.

Felix, thank you. [img]smile.gif[/img] But what file are you talking about when it comes to W&W? Is it the Radeon patch? Or? Oh and W&W is definitely playable on XP. You did check the tech tips thread right? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2003, 11:02 AM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
quote:

Exactly andrew! I have stated that to the hubby several times. But I am awaiting Deus Ex 2 which looks to take a pretty hefty toll on your graphics. Anyway, it's not easy to withstand the hubby since he's working at a certain Canadian computer company.

Felix, thank you. [img]smile.gif[/img] But what file are you talking about when it comes to W&W? Is it the Radeon patch? Or? Oh and W&W is definitely playable on XP. You did check the tech tips thread right? [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]I don't have it anymore, and can't remember where it came from. It was in the W&W forum for awhile. When I was on my KFOR rotation I remember we revisited that file for a new user. It's somewhere located in the forum. Without that patch file it makes the mouse very hard to pick up items. Especially when trying to get those darn coins in the Serpeant Temple. I'm not sure if the new drivers have addressed the issue or not.

I went through the XP tech files, did the virtual-dub thing, but still cannot gain access to some of the shops, or leave from the gate towards the crypt. Besides, since Morrowind came along I haven't had the time for other games.

My gosh Willow, your hubby works for a certain hardware firm in Canada? Geez Louise, you ought to be able to smoke any 3D application that comes along!

Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:28 AM   #7
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Heres a basic run down http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...714/index.html
or http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...024/index.html
or http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...718/index.html

Toms is a great resource, look around and see if any of this pertains to you.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:02 PM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
I don't have it anymore, and can't remember where it came from. It was in the W&W forum for awhile. When I was on my KFOR rotation I remember we revisited that file for a new user. It's somewhere located in the forum. Without that patch file it makes the mouse very hard to pick up items. Especially when trying to get those darn coins in the Serpeant Temple. I'm not sure if the new drivers have addressed the issue or not.

I went through the XP tech files, did the virtual-dub thing, but still cannot gain access to some of the shops, or leave from the gate towards the crypt. Besides, since Morrowind came along I haven't had the time for other games.

My gosh Willow, your hubby works for a certain hardware firm in Canada? Geez Louise, you ought to be able to smoke any 3D application that comes along!

Felix
OK then I know what file it is. Rick has it on his excellent W&W site. I'll download it when I get my new card. [img]smile.gif[/img] And let's just say we get a hefty discount when purchasing PC software/hardware.

If you can't access the shops after doing the virtualdub trick you are doing something wrong. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Check my post in this thread: http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/no...c;f=4;t=008154 Dang I really must update that tech thread soon.

Elif, thanks a bunch. I'll read that when I get home.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:52 PM   #9
Animal
Gold Dragon

The 9700 Pro, is a much better card so why not try it? If you find it doesn't run your games the way you want, switch back to the nVidia, although I'm sure you'll find the ATI to be quite capable.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:04 PM   #10
Elif Godson
Dracolich

what kind of discount do ye get ? and how may I go about getting a helping hand please please please