Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2003, 04:44 PM   #31
B_part
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
Lol, breathe, please: if I unintentionally hurt your patriotic feelings, I apologize.
-
Actually, my intention was not to ridicule Italy, but Signore Bossi who well deserved that IMNSHO for the callousness with which he tried to polish his "law-and-order" image at the expense of both defenseless refugees and the more gullible parts of the Italian public: I am utterly convinced that Bossi knew throughout the whole media drama that his "demand" never had any chance of becoming actual politics. Those complelety unsubstantiated "tough stance" posturing antics are of course not an exclusively Italian phenomenon but rather a very common image maneuver of right wing populists all over the world. They are a political pet peeve of mine and deserve nothing but ridicule.
-
So, maybe the next time before you come blazing in here determined to defend your national honour you might want to check first if it was indeed under attack.
You should read your post a bit more carefully and you would notice that, in order to ridiculize Mr Bossi, you widened your aim to Italy as a whole. Hence the racist taste of the post. It's like ridiculizing the U.S. in order to ridiculize Mr. Bush. If you had stated your idea using the words you used above, I would have simply agreed.

Quote:
And while I am sure that your knowledge about the details of Italian politics exceeds mine, [...]
At least we have two things in common: your notion of patriotism is just as foreign to me as mine is to you and I don't like your tone, either.

I admit the phrasing was a bit poor on my part. What I meant is that calling Bossi a patriot is like calling Saddam Hussein a pacifist. It wanted to be a simple statement, but I understand, re reading it, that it might sound unnecessarily sarcastic. Since I was in time, I edited it. I apologize for that.

I will try to listen to your advice about being a bit less emotional.
My advice to you is that sarcasm can be really annoying in some situations. Beginning your post with a "Lol" and ending it with a "(righteous indignation feels so good, doesn't it?)" isn't perhaps the best thing to do in some situations.