Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2003, 01:04 PM   #1
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

i love to play pc games online and the best ones like Everquest asheronscall 2 and the new game i really wanted but cant buy is eve The second genesis it looks so cool im drooling when i see it! the reason i cant buy it is beacuse it costs a fee everymonth and i already got one game that costs per month and that is asheronscall 2 anyway i think its stupid that they have started doing this and now you cant no longer buy the things you want to play
anyway what do you think of this? if i would have been and adult with my own credit card and salary i wouldnt mind so much but now i dont have that so i think that having to pay every month is pure bullshit
Old 05-19-2003, 01:07 PM   #2
MagiK

Umm it is all about choices.....you can't have everything you want all the time.....unless you are planning on some how becomming a billionaire.

[ 05-19-2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-19-2003, 01:09 PM   #3
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

Well your a sharp one, I thought no one knew nearly every only online game costs money, I have not actually came across one that doesnt...something to do with being insanely expensive to make the new areas that pop up and keep up the servers etc...
Old 05-19-2003, 01:15 PM   #4
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

[img]tongue.gif[/img] yeah....im not gonna be a billinoarie thats 2 low
Old 05-19-2003, 01:16 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

I never see where people are coming from when they complain that a game requires a monthly fee to play.

There is a lot of work in maintaining the systems required to support even something as simple (relatively speaking) as battle.net . When you start to get into something like everquest or similar MMORPGs, its very expensive to do. You have the obvious hardware costs, administrators to pay, hackers to keep out, software glitches to fix, not to mention the costs of developing new content. Its not as if they're charging you money for nothing.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:20 PM   #6
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
I never see where people are coming from when they complain that a game requires a monthly fee to play.

There is a lot of work in maintaining the systems required to support even something as simple (relatively speaking) as battle.net . When you start to get into something like everquest or similar MMORPGs, its very expensive to do. You have the obvious hardware costs, administrators to pay, hackers to keep out, software glitches to fix, not to mention the costs of developing new content. Its not as if they're charging you money for nothing.
And do not forget the cost of bandwidth.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:20 PM   #7
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

The problem I have with Online games is that they charge for the software. I was a Everquest addict for over a year and a half, and I bought all their add-on releases. I spent something like $150 in software alone, not to mention the $12 per month online fee. If they are going to charge you a monthly fee, they ought to give the software away.

That said, they are incredibly fun to play! I spent almost every night playing sometimes up to 4 or 5 hours a night. One thing I did notice was that the longer it went and the higher level you got, the ruder the people around you got! Eventually, I burned out and quit playing.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:46 PM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Free distribution isnt practical. The money spent on packaging is high enough that you the losses incured would be considerable, especialy for the initial release when the game has consumed millions of dollars in development and seup costs, but hasnt yet produced a cent in revenue. But I agree, charging the same price as a full standard game is ridiculous, especialy for expansion packs when the game is usualy in profit already.

Of course, they could offer the software for download, the costs of that are much lower than boxed copies, although still significant. But the problem for that is how to offer significant content at modern quality, without forcing people to endure a huge download taking hours, even on broadband.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:53 PM   #9
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

I am not an avid online gamer, but I do think that the first copies of an online game should be cheaper than normal games. I was surprised when I heard World Of Warcraft is going to cost £30 to buy. I was like, "Huh? That's a little too much, considering there is an online fee..." But because they still make sales, nothing's gonna change, I don't think. As long people will buy the games, they won't do a thing...
Old 05-19-2003, 02:56 PM   #10
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

There is going to be a new Middlearth On-line game! Go here and down near the bottom in the Tolkien News Section is a link. It's under this title: "Play the Greatest Story Ever Written".

Here's the link http://www.tolkienonline.com/