Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2001, 09:17 AM   #11
Luther
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
Really? I don't know much about Australia (except from Neighbours hehehe)
Is it really multi-cultural? A smuch as the UK?

New Zealand and Australia are probably the two most multi-cultural nations in the world. The two Nations (Well, New Zealand at least) are so young that they are essentially without an identity of their own and thus are a great place for foreign markets and cultures to sort of melt-together. No one has any real sort of National-Pride or extreme racism. Great stuff. We should all turn communist.
Old 09-12-2001, 09:47 AM   #12
Moni

Well patriotism in America has been stifled somewhat over the years.
When I was in Elementary School, we would stand up together, the first thing every morning and say "The Pledge Of Allegiance".
(I pledge allegiance to the flag of The United States of America and to The Republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.]

Because of such differing religious values in this country, it has been all but halted. I seriously wonder how many people under twenty-five know it, or have ever even heard it.

You don't see nearly the same kind of expressions of patriotism now that you did when I was a kid. Everyone, or most everyone had a flagpole in their yard and they flew the red, white, and blue on a daily basis.
Public sentiment over our presence in Viet Nam changed that and gradually over the years, outward expressions of patriotism by people other than schools and government offices (flying the flag every day) has dwindled to a point where flags flying in people's yards only happens on some national holidays for the most part and even then, I have seen less and less flags as the years go by.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-12-2001, 10:04 AM   #13
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

It is still not the same level as in Germany, though . Heck, I don't even know when our national holiday is!

EDIT: BTW, When I went to school in Connecticut from 91 to 97, we said the pledge every day before school. I know it by heart, too It was not voluntary

------------------

Kazara

Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe

[This message has been edited by Kaz (edited 09-12-2001).]
Old 09-12-2001, 10:06 AM   #14
MagiK

Thought I was the only one who remembered the Pledge

We have perverted much of the intent of the founders in the name of religious freedom in this country. It is sad

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-12-2001, 10:26 AM   #15
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by sylent:
As an australian, I kinda get to see the whole picture from outside a bit.
I think a lot of the information I get, is a little warped and twisted, but hey.
In australia, it is often said that half of the population wouldn't actually know the national anthem... This would by no means be the case in America, where flags are hung proudly, and the anthem is known by all.

No.

You are overestimating the frequency of such things in America. As Moni points out above, flag flying is relatively unusual, and I would wager that the majority of americans could not accurately sing the national anthem.
Old 09-12-2001, 10:30 AM   #16
MagiK

Diog...I would argue that flag flying being a rarity is not a universal accross the nation. It does appear to me to be more of a Rural phenomenon, in the cities I rarely see a flag. It may not be popular with younger generations there are still many hundreds of thousands of US flags being purchased and people do use them.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MagiK (edited 09-12-2001).]

Old 09-12-2001, 10:31 AM   #17
skywalker
Banned User

Oh say can you see
By the dawns early light
What so proudly we hailed
At the twilights last gleaming
And the rockets red glare
The bombs bursting in air
Gave proof through the night
That our flag was still there
Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave
For the land of the free
And the home of the brave

Is this right? I hope so, or I'll be very embarrassed.

Mark
Old 09-12-2001, 11:02 AM   #18
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Diog...I would argue that flag flying being a rarity is not a universal accross the nation. It does appear to me to be more of a Rural phenomenon, in the cities I rarely see a flag. It may not be popular with younger generations there are still many hundreds of thousands of US flags being purchased and people do use them.

I said "relatively" unusual. Clearly, some people do fly the flag, but they are definitely in the minority.

Btw, I do live in a rural area. Flag flying is quite popular here, but it is typically the Confederate flag instead of the American one.

Old 09-12-2001, 11:03 AM   #19
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

Ouchies in Germany.

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

The Spaminyte Emperor
Fish?
Welcome to your doom!!!
Official villain/demon of IW!

Old 09-12-2001, 11:06 AM   #20
MagiK

Diog, any thoughts on why flag flying seems to be so much more popular in rural areas vs cities?? I never did understand that distinction....and sorry I misread your post and totally missed the exact meaning of your post. My Bad.

------------------