Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
komo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

could anyone please tell me which stat modifies the main character's attack speed (i.e. the pause between each attack). Is it always the Dexterity, or the character's primary stat (e.g. Charisma for Bards, Strength for Barbarians) ??

Thanks
Old 03-12-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
dominions
Elminster

As far as I know, no stat changes this. However, you can get multiple attacks per round. This is based on class and level, not a stat.
Hope this helps.
[img]\"http://www.shalewyn.com/Images/KrynnWhiteDragon1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Hah!\", thought the white dragon. \"A wand of Ice Storm will never harm me!\"<br />He never did figure out that he was in a CRPG...
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

Dexterity affects your initiative. Initiative determines when you get to strike relative to others (before or after them). It doesn't do anything for your attack speed though.

The number of attacks per round (dependant on class, level, and some feats and magic) determines where in the round you strike. For this purpose, each round is divided in three portions (first two seconds, next two seconds, last two seconds).
Every third attack you get after the first gives you an extra attack in the first portion of the round (1 attack per round, 4, 7, 10 etc.). Since these are the first attacks to be made, they will be your best attacks (greatest chance to hit).
Every third attack after the second ends up in the second round (2,5,8 etc.), and your worst, left-over attacks (3,6,9) end up in the third portion of the round.
All that's coded into the game and isn't affected by anything in the character's build. The only thing you can do to get more attacks in in the first portion of the round, is to get more attacks.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:11 AM   #4
komo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i'm not sure if i understand the explanation. but, thanks anyway, for now i know that my bard will be forever slow.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:09 AM   #5
dominions
Elminster

What level are you? If it's low level then as a bard you will only get one attack per round. Bards are not really designed for combat and only start getting multiple attacks per round at 8th level.
At 8th level you should be able to effectively attack faster as you are now attacking twice in the same space of time. An example of this is:
Below 8th level (assuming you get initiative)
Round 1:
You attack
Enemy attacks
Round 2:
You attack
Enemy attacks
Round 3:
You attack
Enemy attacks
etc.
At 8th level or above:
Round 1:
You attack
You attack
Enemy attacks
Round 2:
You attack
You attack
Enemy attacks
Round 3:
You attack
You attack
Enemy attacks
etc.
The round takes no more time than before, but now you're attacking twice in it, thus seeming to go faster.

Initiative is something that determines who goes first in a round. It is determined by a random number, how high your/the creatures dex is, and bonuses from various feats you can take (like improved initiative (gives +4 I think). Anyway, whoever ends up with the highest initiative score goes first in a round.
[img]\"http://www.shalewyn.com/Images/KrynnWhiteDragon1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Hah!\", thought the white dragon. \"A wand of Ice Storm will never harm me!\"<br />He never did figure out that he was in a CRPG...
Old 03-14-2005, 06:28 AM   #6
komo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, that certainly explains a lot of things to me, like how Daelan could kill the enemies twice faster than me (which is his superior). Thanks a lot.

BTW, where did you find out that Bard get extra attack on lvl 8??

Since my bard went multiclass (Bard 6/Fighter 1/ Rogue 2), shouldn't i already get the extra attack??
or should i wait until 8/1/2?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:08 AM   #7
Brayf
Zhentarim Guard

That's an amazing multiclass, just so you know. Don't take too many fighter levels and it'll be amazing at high levels.
Brayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #8
dominions
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by komo:
...BTW, where did you find out that Bard get extra attack on lvl 8??

Since my bard went multiclass (Bard 6/Fighter 1/ Rogue 2), shouldn't i already get the extra attack??
or should i wait until 8/1/2?
The D&D 3rd Edition book has this info. As for the number of attacks per round for multiclass characters, you must combine the base attack bonus for each class then compare it to this chart:
+1 to +5......1 attack per round
+6 to +10.....2 attacks per round
+11 to +15....3 attacks per round
+16 to +20....4 attacks per round
+21...........5 attacks per round

So if we look at you r character, you should have the following at the moment:

Bard level 6 = +4 base attack
Rogue level 2 = +1 base attack
Fighter level 1 = +1 base atack
======================
TOTAL = +6 combined base attack

Looking at the chart, you should have 2 attacks per round at the moment.
To check this out load you're character into the game, press C to get you character stat screen up and look at ATTACK BONUS. You should see +6/+1 which means you have +6 to attack with your first attack, +1 to attack with your second attack.

[ 03-14-2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: dominions ]
Old 03-15-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
komo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanx again for the info, at last i get a non-heartbreaking comment on my character.

btw, since you mentioned it, i'm planning for to level up my character to 17/1/2. Is it okay??
Old 03-15-2005, 01:40 PM   #10
dominions
Elminster

Well, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not one for making uber-powerful characters.
even so, it looks ok to me as you seem to be concertrating on one class above the others which is always a good idea. Why did you take the rogue and fighter levels btw?