Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2003, 11:56 AM   #1
TheWiSeFooL
Manshoon

Ok to the more experienced gamers...
TACTICS to use in CUSTOMISING SCRIPTS for certain CLASSES...
Please tell me what combos yous gamers use?

I have played thru BG1 and unfortunately didn't quite finish b4 my comp got a virus! played thru BG2 and completed now currently in BG3.

HOTKEYS
------------

I, myself have never ever used HOTKEYS
I just couldn't b bothered - it would make the continuous flow of battle and action a lot more smoother and exciting, to me I think...

The advantage seems obvious enough but I would not know where to start assigning what particular spells for what keys? And never really fully understood how to assign them for say PRIESTS and MAGES?
What r some expert opinions please?

AI Turned On or Off?
PAUSING and Customising SCRIPTS
----------------------------------------------------------

I have always paused during the middle of every combat to reaccess the situation as CUSTOMISING certain SCRIPTS for your particular CHARACTER\CLASS and PARTY is not always appropriate for ALL situations...Or reaccess for different more effective spellcasting tactics!
(eg I have found that Area disabling effects that ur spellcasters will cast they will cast upon sight of an enemy but then your Melee fighters also all CHARGE in and also get disabled! unless missiles r used)
With this in mind just to have them all set as DEFAULT attacking SCRIPT upon sight of enemy either ranged or Melee BUT have AI turned off whenever u c fit?

(eg JAN JANSEN is a illusionist\thief depending on what u think is the best TACTIC or if u like STEALTH u would use hide in shadows then backstab, but then after that 1 hit he is vulnerable! or u could stay at the back and launch offensive\disabling spells)

In general I don't c the point of shortcut keys when u cast all defensive spells in preparation before entering a new area?

But obviously Pausing like every second to issue new commands or whenever your character gets struck makes the game extremely tedious and boring... [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
what is a good balance?
Who on this FORUM has played all the way throughout a game without a single pause and not had a character slain and won!?!? That I would like to know??? [img]redface.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2003, 12:08 PM   #2
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

ehm, there aint no bg3. Do u mean TOB?
Old 09-21-2003, 03:02 PM   #3
Jonni Voodoo
The Magister

Pausing is part of the core game design. Without it, the battles would be nigh impossible. Personally, I hate with every fibre of my being BIO's bastardization of turn-based combat with their phased/psuedo-realtime junk. Fortunately one cam almost simulate real TB with the auto-pause options. Setting "When enemy seen" and "End round" really cuts down on the pauses and still makes combat manageable.
Jonni Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 03:05 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I always Pause. I like it and i have better "wiew" over the battle.
AI is turned off.
I do not use hotkeys.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:30 PM   #5
cav_again
Manshoon

how do you assign hotkeys? is it in the manual?
cav_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:35 PM   #6
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by cav_again:
It is under configuration.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:46 PM   #7
cav_again
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
quote:
Originally posted by cav_again:
It is under configuration. [/QUOTE]yeah, I found it, now... HOW do i do it? can I set specific spells to certain keys and stuff? and how exactly do I set the hot keys? I'm not very experienced with this...

thanks
cav_again is offline   Reply With Quote