Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2002, 11:40 AM   #1
Snowking
Dungeon Master

hi everyone.i just completed icewind dale and am starting icewind dale 2.however,i find that icewind dale 2 a bit different.particularly the character creation.i find that the character creation is very complicated and i am at a loss.can anyone help me?thanks.
Snowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 12:02 PM   #2
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

It's a little bit different than 2nd ed. All characters need high consitution. You need 2 or 3 tank, 1 cleric or druid, 1 wizard and 1 rogue. I'll post my party as example..

Aasmir Paladin/Fighter

STR 18
DEX 10
CON 14 (16)
INT 10
WIS 12
CHA 16 (14)

STR gives you attack and damage bonus. Unlike 2nd Ed, heavy armors limits your DEX bonus. If you're wearing full plate mail, you can gain only +1 DEX bonus. That's why my dex is 10. For paladins, CHA gives bonus to saves.

Dwarf Fighter/Barbarian

STR 18
DEX 12
CON 20
INT 8
WIS 12
CHA 6

Human Cleric

STR 10 (12)
DEX 12 (10)
CON 16
WIS 18
INT 10
CHA 10

Maximize your WISDOM!

Human Wizard

STR 10
DEX 14
CON 16
INT 18
WIS 10
CHA 8 (you can lower your CHA more and give these points to CON and DEX if you want)

Human Rogue/Ranger

STR 14
DEX 18
CON 16
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 8
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 01:26 PM   #3
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

This is a good read for party creation tips:

http://www.nomiata.com/iwd2/IdealParty
Old 12-19-2002, 01:10 PM   #4
Axl of Darkness
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi

I had a problem creating the first party as well. I were used to the 2nd ed rules and I could not understand that they did not have multiclasses.
I wanted a fighter mage badly as it is always my main character.
On IWD 2 , stick to the basic classes and them you modify them along the game.
If you want a fighter mage (as I did). Make an inteligent fighter, after he gains a level you advance him in mage not in fighter , that way you have a fighter mage.

When you create FIGHTERS you dont need a very high DEX as PLATE MAIL ARMORS do not let the bonus work on the AC, so use a DEX of 16 and upgrade STR and CON stats.
A Half Orc can begin with a STR 20.......nasty !!!
I also feel that if you spend FEATS in BOW you can create a deadly sniper that will easily obliterate many enemies.......

Best wishes

Ed
Old 12-21-2002, 06:00 PM   #5
Magness
Quintesson

@Axl
Unless a tank is going to want to select the ambidexterity feat (requires 15+ DEX) or Rapid Shot (requires 13+ DEX), a Tank should take a DEX that matches the armor that you intend to wear. Since the max DEX that heavy armor allows is +1, a DEX over 12 is a waste (with the above listed exceptions). Zoltan has the right idea with his tank builds listed in his previous thread.

@Zoltan
Paladin builds depend on how much you like paladin spellcasting. I don't give a bleep about it, so I tend to ignore WIS.

This is a Paladin build that I like. Yes, there will no spellcasting. I don't care. With that monster high CHA, all of his saving throws will be great and he'll get 5 HP/level in Lay On Hands.

Aasimar Paladin
STR 18
DEX 10
CON 16
INT 8
WIS 8
CHA 20

Ahhhhh.... Ranger/Rogues. I love 'em!!!

Human Rogue/Ranger
STR 14
DEX 18
CON 16
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 8

I prefer the following:

Human Rogue/Ranger
STR 12
DEX 18
CON 16
INT 14
WIS 10
CHA 6

I like having a LOT of skill points, since ranger/rogues are very skill dependent. An INT of 14 is high enough to get all the skill points you need.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 02:07 PM   #6
Raznar
Dungeon Master

I know this isn't the sort of "tip" indicated in the title but GET A MONK! I just started another game (my first with a monk) and he rocks! He does all the killing and he doesn't even wear armour of use weapons.