Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2002, 03:27 AM   #1
Aliyah L'bliss
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I see exp cap remover as a cheat, is this so?

I am a noob to bg2, and havnt got higher than level 11, so maybe my opinion doesnt count but what do others think?

Is the exp cap too low for the later levels of the game?
Old 09-18-2002, 03:43 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I see Xp Cap Removers as cheating as well. The only time I close one eye is when the person wants to solo, but does not have ToB installed to raise the Xp Cap.

If you have a party, 2,950,000 Xp is more than sufficient for you to raise Hell upon thy enemies.

Not to mention that you need to scrimp and squeeze every last quest to reach that Xp Cap with a 6-people party.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 06:09 AM   #3
Radek
Red Dragon

As far as BG2 is concerned, it's a question whether XP cap remover is cheating.
1. It is: Yes, it is a cheating because it maipulates game files and game logic. Period. The game was created by somebody and we should play it as it was meant by the authors. All editors, viewers, xp cap removers, and so on are cheating.
2. It is not: But hold! XP cap remover is a "mod". There are bags of "mods" all around. Are they all cheating? I don't think so. The "mods" modify the game so that it becomes more (or less) interesting. Is it bad?
Therefore, you are playing a modified game if you install the XP cap remover. The remover removes anger of those people that reach the XP cap limit too soon and feel deceived when they are not rewarded for their effort. This can happen to all solo players and to all players of small parties of heroes. Also, this is the only reason for installing the remover. With a party of six, you will reach the XP limit late in Suldanesellar most probably. Consider whether you can even level up during the rest of the game, therefore, whether it matters that you do not get any XP any more.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:04 AM   #4
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

I want to know in SoA, if u use a Monk and u use the XP remover so that it can gain more levels, does the Monks fists still count as a +4 weapon when u reach l 25?
Old 09-18-2002, 09:02 AM   #5
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

Considering Dundee's post, I do not treat XP cap remver as a cheat. Solo chars will hit the cap in ch5 at most (I did it in ch3 [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ), so they do need the remover to continue levelling later in the game, which is the greatest part in every RPG (besides, maybe, RP). And party games do not use the remover - they simply do not hit the cap, as Dundee said [img]smile.gif[/img] So anyway the cap will either prove itself to be a requirement, or useles at all!! No cheating, man!
Old 09-18-2002, 09:08 AM   #6
Sir Exxon
Zartan

I fully agree with Dundee on this one, the Experience Cap Remover should be labeled as a cheat. I have it, yes, but only because I prefer to go solo, so I also agree a bit with TaSSaDaR. It is annoying to reach the cap in chapter 3.
But I would just buy ToB instead, you dont need higher levels before that anyway.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 09:11 AM   #7
TaSSaDaR
Baaz Draconian

You can buy it. I can't. What is the solution?? Guess...
Old 09-18-2002, 10:28 AM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Irenicus:
I want to know in SoA, if u use a Monk and u use the XP remover so that it can gain more levels, does the Monks fists still count as a +4 weapon when u reach l 25?
If I am not mistaken, no. Unless the Xp Cap Remover program caters for this.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 12:23 PM   #9
Mr Flibble
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by TaSSaDaR:
You can buy it. I can't. What is the solution?? Guess...
If you really want it, check on eBay, someone is always selling it there (where I got mine, and for a lot cheaper than the store).

But to stay on topic...
Yeah, I also feel it's cheating. You just have to decide if you want to go beyond the developers' scope and become as strong as possible, or play the way they intended. If you are playing alone on a single player game, I say go for it, but if you are playing Multiplayer over the net with others... you might as well just use a Shadowkeeper character.