Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2006, 07:52 AM   #1
Stratos
Vampire

Everyone should read this!

After surfing around the net, minding my own business, I noticed a new program at the toolbar at the lower right side of the screen; something called "Pesttrap". It notified me with one of them little bubbles that my computer was infected with Spyware and that I should click in it and Windows would download the necessary Spyware-remover. I know I haven't (intentionally) downloaded such a program.

"Pesttrap" had two icons in the Toolbar; one red spot with a white "X" in, and one that looked like a reddish sun or stylized virus. I clicked on the "virus" symbol and a list of approx. 65 detected "Spyware" showed up. There was also some form of green progress bar at the bottom of the window, but a little voice in the back of my head told me something fishy was going on so I immediately clicked "Cancel". Further, there now was a "Pesttrap" icon on my desktop, and a folder named "Pesttrap" on C:\Program Files\.

To make a long story short, I searched around the net a bit and discovered some info on Pesttrap. It's appearantely a Spyware itself but pretends it's a Anti-Spyware program. It also seem to be a new variety of an older program called "SpySheriff" or somesuch. Anyway, I believe I manage to get rid of it with "Ad-Aware", but I'm not certain yet.

Can anyone verify if this "Pesttrap" is a Spyware? Have anyone else had this problem, and is it a new threat?

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:58 AM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

If it's based on Spy Sheriff that's enough - it's highly dodgy. There's a mildly amusing video of a Windows PC being compromised by this (including tracking the processes being started) floating around on the net if you can find it. Your experience sounds like an almost direct repeat of the video I've seen, including the little bubble warning.

If you haven't installed it, can I hazard a guess that you're browsing with Internet Explorer?

[ 05-26-2006, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:

If you haven't installed it, can I hazard a guess that you're browsing with Internet Explorer?
[img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I'll switch.

Which is best; Opera or FireFox?

[ 05-26-2006, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 05-26-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Personal prefernce on that one. I'm currently running Opera 9 Beta, Linux format. "They" claim it's faster yadda, yadda,. Personal experience says Firefox is still a little faster, has a much larger inventory of add-ons, etc. Opera appears to be more stable while running multiple tabs, has only a few eye candy attachments, but with version 9, widgets have appeared. Unless you are hurting in HDD space, try them both. BTW, keep IE, you will need it for Windoze updates, M$ does not like any other browser conducting updates.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:30 AM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

I downloaded FireFox. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-26-2006, 09:30 AM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
BTW, keep IE
as if it's possible to remove it
Old 05-26-2006, 10:02 AM   #7
Bithron
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
quote:
BTW, keep IE
as if it's possible to remove it [/QUOTE]It is, we don't have IE anymore...
Old 05-26-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Even if it was, you can download IETab for Firefox... I never have to use IE now...
Old 05-26-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by Bithron:
quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:
quote:
BTW, keep IE
as if it's possible to remove it [/QUOTE]It is, we don't have IE anymore... [/QUOTE]Eh?! How did you manage that? Pretty interested [img]smile.gif[/img]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Me too. Microsoft couldn't do it when they testified in front of the DOJ... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote