Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2001, 06:21 PM   #1
domingo
Zhentarim Guard

Last night I went to the Utah shakespeare festival ...... man was that great, they had a feast (5 course) and they had it set up like ancient times ... they had sword fights and everything .. it was like a big show the whole time , and then the play afterwards was great .... Just wondering if any of you guys enjoy this stuff as much as I do ...

[This message has been edited by domingo (edited 08-23-2001).]
Old 08-23-2001, 08:31 PM   #2
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Shakespeare is one of the true joys of the Literature Curriculum that I teach. Every year many of my students, regardless of age and skill level, enjoy reading Shakespeare's plays. And I think his plays only get better with age, my age that is. In college, I had no patience for the stuff. A little older and wiser, I now appreciate it much more.

My personal favorite is Macbeth.
Old 08-23-2001, 08:35 PM   #3
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I love shakespeare (not as much as some though ) try to get to every play that is shown in town, anywhere to full scale production at one of the downtown theatres to a small production in the park across the street.

Which play was shown at the Utah festival domingo?

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Old 08-23-2001, 08:37 PM   #4
Djinn Raffo
Ra

MacBeth is good.

I like Much Ado About Nothing and Hamlet a lot too.
Old 08-23-2001, 08:41 PM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Father Bronze good to see you around again! On subject though, I guess I'll have to get older before I like Shakespear. Maybe when I hit 40 in a few years?
Old 08-23-2001, 10:09 PM   #6
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by domingo:
Last night I went to the Utah shakespeare festival ...... man was that great, they had a feast (5 course) and they had it set up like ancient times ... they had sword fights and everything .. it was like a big show the whole time , and then the play afterwards was great .... Just wondering if any of you guys enjoy this stuff as much as I do ...

How very cool!
I'll have to check out the areas entertainment and see if I can't get as lucky.

Closest thing I have had to your experience is to be "the purse lady" in a skit done by some renaissance actors ever other Saturday Night in downtown Tucson. I always had a blast, esp when the guy who would eventually "steal" my purse would grab me and use me as a shield while his buddy flung his sword, ever so gracefully, skillfully, and effectively, missing my face and body by mere fractions of an inch at times.
It was always a thrill and I was able to improv almost fainting and not giving up the purse (making him work harder for it) so effectively the first couple of run throughs that they implemented it into their show since the audience got as much of a rush seeing me struggle as they did watching the sword-play.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 08-23-2001, 10:24 PM   #7
Conan

The Shrew could never be tamed and he knew that. Really thoughtful stuff and mostly your thinking how is this going to end most of the time thing. Wait, Im a Barbarion, I'm out of here

------------------
*\Conan/*

[This message has been edited by Conan (edited 08-23-2001).]

Old 08-24-2001, 02:46 AM   #8
domingo
Zhentarim Guard

It was the 2 Gentlemen of Verona ... one of my personal favorites ..... the Utah festival actually won a tony last year .... they are very good, I would recomend it to anyone ... It is in cedar city Utah
Old 08-24-2001, 02:29 PM   #9
DEADMAN
Manshoon

Romeo and Juliet, I'm a sucker for a good romance, besides that King Lear.
Old 08-24-2001, 05:55 PM   #10
Starkiller
The Magister

Ah, Two Gentlemen of Verona, that is one of my favorite's too, I especially like the character of Valentine. However, I have to say Macbeth is my favorite Shakespearian play. I happen to love Shakespeare, and who says it has to do with age, I am only 18. Living in New York is great for it too, because we get great productions. A couple of years ago I got to see Patrick Stewart in "The Tempest", and wow, it was great. As often happens here in america we know an actor like Patrick for his roles on "Star Trek" and what not, but in fact he is an amazing Shakespearian actor. Kellsey Grammer (Frasier) was amazing in Macbeth this year as well, though it didn't get great reviews. They decided to do the play as a single scene, with one character coming in as another leaves, keeping the play flowing realistically, and at the end they had Macbeth defeat Macduff, only to be suddenly mauled by the witches when he is about to kill Macduff. The witches, (only there in spirit) hound Macbeth, repeating the lines about his downfall at the hands of "one not born of woman", until Macduff manages to get to his knees and stab Macbeth. I found this choice very interesting, because it really played into the question which runs throughout the whole play of how much of the story happens because of destiny, and how much is caused because the witches say it will happen, thus making Macbeth think of it. For example, it makes you wonder if it is fate causing Macbeth to lose at the end, or simply the doubt in his mind which has been brought about by the women, but either way it depicts how Macbeth's destiny in now unavoidable because he has witnessed it, but it begs the question of whether it would be the same if he did not know. Well, sorry to have taken up so much space, in a word, the answer to your original question, domingo, is "yes", I am as interested in Shakespear as you.

------------------
"Not everything ends the way you think it should"