Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: WoW- Deathwing attacks, The Shattering starts TODAY!

Q - Is Cataclysm going to be as casual as Wotlk or as Hardcore as Vanila/TBC ?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Something in between, from what I can see. They plan on bringing back the old strategies of CCing mobs in a 5-man dungeon, but, I imagine, they won't throwback to the days of niche raiding and guild-only content. They will keep what works (casual raids, weeklies, welfare loot etc) and dump what does not.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

It will start out moderatly tough, then get nerfed to slacktard level, followed shortly to full retard/whiner level.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
As far as i understand it's more like TBC.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:26 AM   #15
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
Without knowing what your definition of casual and hardcore is, I'm not sure how to answer your question, so I will answer according to my definition. It's going to be a bit of both. They are trying to make it more accessible to casual players who don't have a huge raiding guild with things like the new flexible lockout system. The raid wings are going to be more like WotLK where they are broken up so you don't have to do a monster 5 hour raid in one night - you do one wing, then another, etc.

That said, it won't be as faceroll as WotLK was in terms of making it ezmode for tanks, healers and dps - tanks won't just be able to pull every mob in the room as they won't be able to hold threat when dps starts to AOE (think trash rep runs in ICC). Healers won't have an infinite pool of mana to use to just overheal all the time, and dps WILL DIE if you pull aggro off the tank.

Also, like in all things, the players and guilds who invest the time and understand the strategies and execute them coherently will always do better than the pugs. The heroic modes will be what you would call "hardcore", and the regular ones "casual".

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:27 AM   #16
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

BTW - nearly level 84 now woot!

Old 12-08-2010, 02:28 AM   #17
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Alcohol View Post
It will start out moderatly tough, then get nerfed to slacktard level, followed shortly to full retard/whiner level.
Like what LoA said, it may be that over time they do a buff similar to the ICC one where they gradually make it more accessible to more and more players over time. I'm fine with that - you can always click off the buff if you want to be hardcore.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:30 AM   #18
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

So far I've quested through Hyjal, Deepholm and Uldum, and the new zones are REALLY pretty. In fact the Uldum questline in particular, with all the cinematics, makes it feel so much like a CRPG - Uldum almost feels like Amn in BG2!!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #19
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Many of the old instances have also been recycled too. Like the vanilla-wow high-level instances such as Stratholme, Scholomance and Dire Maul are all around level 40 instances now. They really needed to do that - find a use for those instances made obsolete by the expansions. There are changes to almost every instance on the way up too. Check 'em out.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well if anyone wants a taste of CRPG in WoW, the Uldum quests have it. For a few of the questlines you feel like you are in an Indiana Jones movie.