Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2003, 08:02 PM   #1
Decurion
The Magister

In BG2 ToB (I don't have it but this is what I heard) there was a item, a robe, that let you cast spells significantly faster. Are there any items like that in NWN? Or are they planned for SoU?

Decurion
Decurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:39 PM   #2
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

I remember seeing a Robe of Vecna in Neverwinter Nights, but I can't remember what the stats were. Sorry. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2003, 09:08 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Hmmm..Haste will do this naturally. There is also the 'Quicken Spell' feat which, right now is actually at exploit-status allowing mages to cast spells at super speeds. Really it's insane, one spell after another but again this is an exploit...
Old 06-16-2003, 10:36 PM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Hmmm..Haste will do this naturally. There is also the 'Quicken Spell' feat which, right now is actually at exploit-status allowing mages to cast spells at super speeds. Really it's insane, one spell after another but again this is an exploit...
I wouldn't call it an exploit. It is a natural part of the 3rd edition rules. Also, remember that it bumps up the slot needed for the spell by 4 levels (i.e. a quickened Magic Missle fills up a 5th level spell slot (1st level normal + 4 more for the quickening)). This is a lot of levels to move a spell up. Yes, eventually you can have a few quickened magic missiles memorized, but you are giving up 5th level spells to have them. It all evens out.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 02:40 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Originally posted by Nerull:
Quote:
I wouldn't call it an exploit. It is a natural part of the 3rd edition rules. Also, remember that it bumps up the slot needed for the spell by 4 levels (i.e. a quickened Magic Missle fills up a 5th level spell slot (1st level normal + 4 more for the quickening)). This is a lot of levels to move a spell up. Yes, eventually you can have a few quickened magic missiles memorized, but you are giving up 5th level spells to have them. It all evens out.
Nah mate, I'm talking of the quicken exploit and it *IS* a recognised exploit that Bioware have acknowledged. It does not adhere to the 3E rules at all - spells are cast successively and at the fastest rate possible...I won't explain it in depth here as I have a hard enough time as it is trying to curtail it's use online. Alot of mages who are new to the game are actually taught this by friends and take it as a natural and legal use of the rules. From what I've heard they're fixing it though either in this patch or the next...I hope so anyways.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:06 PM   #6
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
Nah mate, I'm talking of the quicken exploit and it *IS* a recognised exploit that Bioware have acknowledged. It does not adhere to the 3E rules at all - spells are cast successively and at the fastest rate possible...I won't explain it in depth here as I have a hard enough time as it is trying to curtail it's use online. Alot of mages who are new to the game are actually taught this by friends and take it as a natural and legal use of the rules. From what I've heard they're fixing it though either in this patch or the next...I hope so anyways.
Actually, I didn't know about that. Yes, if you end up casting a whole bunch of quickened spells in succession, then it is an exploit (per rules, only one quickened spell per round, so at most 2 spells a round--one quickened and one regular). I do hope they fix that, as it would be way too powerful.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:15 AM   #7
BelGarionNZ
Elite Waterdeep Guard

'ello. I'm new here. I signed up when I started BG2 SoA and ToB and I've since finished them in the time it took to register me and I've moved on to NWN

Anywayyyy...I'm playing on a LAN with my friend, I have a lvl 9 sorceror so far and I'm "intrigued" by this exploit. Puhleeeeeeez tell me how to do it so I can whoop my friends butt [img]tongue.gif[/img]

OR is this basically it here?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull
Yes, if you end up casting a whole bunch of quickened spells in succession, then it is an exploit (per rules, only one quickened spell per round, so at most 2 spells a round--one quickened and one regular). I do hope they fix that, as it would be way too powerful.