Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 04:38 AM   #1
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4500245.stm

This child has been blocked from having an abortion because she apparently lacks the maturity to make such a decision.

This is despite Florida abortion law not requiring parental consent - the Florida state government intervened and asked a judge to rule on it.

1) Why does the government insist on interfering in people's lives??
2) If she's not mature enough to decide whether she wants an abortion, she sure isn't mature enough to have a baby! This will ruin her life and ruin the life of the child who will have the fun experience of being shuffled from foster home to foster home.
3) Isn't it cruel to force her to give birth? A rather painful and traumatic event at the best of times, I doubt she's even developed enough for it to go as easily as it might.
4) Wasn't this precisely the sort of interference that was made illegal by Roe vs Wade?
5) By slapping temporary injuctions on her, surely the baby moves ever and ever closer to that 'partial birth' point decided in 2003 after which it would be illegal to abort anyway?

[ 04-30-2005, 04:40 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:20 AM   #2
uss
20th Level Warrior

I wholeheartedly agree. It would only be fair to let her hava an abortion if she wishes to do so.
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:02 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
One thing is for sure...the kid is definitely incredibly stupid.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hell yeah. Must've had a major brainfart. I agree with the ruling however.

[ 04-30-2005, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Sir Degrader ]
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:

This child has been blocked from having an abortion because she apparently lacks the maturity to make such a decision.

This is despite Florida abortion law not requiring parental consent - the Florida state government intervened and asked a judge to rule on it.

Because nobody is thinking of the unborn childs life.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:55 AM   #6
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
Because nobody is thinking of the unborn childs life.
Pardon my straightforwardness, but shouldn't we view the situation while regarding the effect it has for the material world?

If the 13-year-old had her abortion, the whole issue wouldn't have much of an impact on her life. It would probably teach her never to do that again but not much else. She could move on with her life.

If the girl would give birth to the baby, the consequences would be very real. It would be very unlikely that the birth would be a success. The baby could affect her and her relatives' lives negatively.

I could be wrong though. It's all about the details, really. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

By the way, what about her parents? What do they think on this matter? The article doesn't mention them at all. If they were for the abortion, would she have to give birth regardless?
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 01:07 PM   #7
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

No, she could have it anyway under Florida law. And as far as I'm concerned that baby is still a bunch of cells - the life of a living, breathing human being is far more important. But if concern for the baby is first in your mind then consider what kind of life she is going to have born into a situation like that. Another social security drain on your tax dollars too [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 04-30-2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:21 PM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:

Because nobody is thinking of the unborn childs life. [/QUOTE]Fine, then I will think of both of their lives if the child is born.

13 year old girl never does well in high school. Her parents probably help take care of the kid, but she drops out as soon as she can. Ends up in a dead-end minimum wage job to support herself. And of course she resents the child, consciously or not.

What a great way to enter the world.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:39 PM   #9
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Better to enter it in that way then never at all.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:12 PM   #10
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
Better to enter it in that way then never at all.
Erm...no... that's not exactly true.