Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2001, 04:28 PM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

Just a quick question:

I've seen a lot of new posters on this board and I'm curious. How many of you have just bought this game in the last few weeks? And to make it a more useful thread we can reopen the "little about yourself" discussion type thread we had a while ago.

So how about it? Are we experiencing a second wind of buyers for this game? Maybe if enough copies sell we may see another game from Heuristic Park.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 04:41 PM   #2
Lord Roberts

Hi, I've had this game now for a month or so, and then found this site about a week ago, and I like it.

I've been playing these games now for years.
It's, taken me longer to play this game then it did to play Diablo II.
Not impressed with that game!!

I would love to see another game like this one. And yes I enjoyed Wizardry.
My all time favourite was Ultima.

bye for now
Old 01-29-2001, 08:16 PM   #3
Lily the Ranger

skywalker (you ancient human being you!) I am getting VERY discouraged to hear people say there won't be a WW2. I purchased mine in October and am on my second play . . . I learned from Sazerac that Wizardry (6&7) have TECHNOLOGY in them (I assume Wiz 8 will probably too). YUK! That was one of my gripes with MM . . . now don't get me wrong, I played Resident Evil and enjoyed every high tech item I could get my grubby hands on! But when I play magic/swords/mythology I just want it to stay "period". I love steak and I love vanilla ice cream but I am not going to make a smoothie with them! I keeps 'em separate. Oops, ranting, sorry. Anyway, I would love to play WW2 as I am sure a lot was learned from the making of WW1. Perhaps, we should all go out and buy a copy for a friend. Who cares if they don't have a computer.
Old 01-29-2001, 09:59 PM   #4
adam mage

I brought this game on December 13 which is my birthday.

The first Wizards and Warriors I seen was at the arcade in 1983-84. I still remember watching my brothers playing on it. One of those 'table' machines. (geez I'm oooooolllldddd)

Years ago, I have played role-playing Nintendo games such as: Ultima, Shadowgate, Princess Tomato (don't ask), bubble bobble (again, don't ask), Castlevania (my mother played it more than I did!), Crystalis, Deja Vu, Final Fantasy, Genghis Khan, Shingen Ruler, etc etc... I tried to get more Ultima games but my stores do/will not carry them.

now what I can say about Nintendo game Ultima: I was very disappointed with its ending when I finally finished it!

Played a couple of Sega games afterwards then I sold the stuff.

after I brought my computer, the first PC game I got was MYST.
Old 01-29-2001, 11:31 PM   #5
Moni

Adam,
Give your mom a high five for me, lol...I played Castlevania with my son until he took his Nintendo to a friend's house and left it there. (No doubt to keep from having to share it with me, lol)
Dec 13 is my sister's birthday as well as my boyfriend's mom's...I knew we got along for good reason!

I got W&W in Dec from a friend who knows I'd love playing it. : ) and have been a member of this forum since the day after I installed it.
: )
Moni
Old 01-30-2001, 12:22 AM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Hi, Lily!

Actually, Wiz 6 was pretty well "sci-fi" free until the very end, same with Wiz 7, and Wiz 7 retained the "Medieval feeling" all the way through, unlike the M&M series which made you feel like you switched to "Star Trek" in the last 1/4 of the game...so I really wasn't panning Wiz 7. Wiz 7 I will still play from time to time, just because it was such a tight game (and bug-free, I may add...something most games can't boast nowadays).

The W&W series has great potential, but HPI must realize that this is a niche market, NOT mainstream. Most little console jockeys are NOT going to buy into this type of game because it's more thought-oriented than "chop-socky". Not that I have anything against action-oriented games, but they shouldn't be held up as a standard of comparison to CRPG, IMO. (and no offense to any console gamers out there). We were having a discussion the other day about the level of brutality of the posts on the HPI board, most coming from preteen console gamers, and some rumors that HPI won't be doing another W&W because of the level of abuse they've taken from that board, grrrrrr. As I said, I wish DW Bradley WOULD check this forum and see the loyal fan base he/HPI has here.

As Shinwiki says, "We are a fair tribe, with great magic."

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 03:43 AM   #7
carg
The Magister

To keep an eye on RPG developments you might check this site: http://desslock.gamespot.com/.
There you can read coming year many companies will shift towards massive online-only RPGs, because of the success of Everquest and the like. And next to that the console market has quite a bit of attraction at the moment too. So not that good for us hard-core RPG lovers. But still there are several interesting RPGs under development, so I guess we'll not get bored anytime soon.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 10:59 AM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

Lily: I apologize for getting you down. I was only being realistic from what I read on the HP site and the newsgroups. They espouse gloom and doom and I can't help but think that HP won't try again in this narrow genre. I strongly hope they do. I really loved this game (I just finished Sunday AM, Yay) and I WANT more. I picked up BG2 and I'm having trouble getting into it. Maybe Wiz 8 will be better.

Heuristic Park: If you're reading here, please make more. This was the most fun I've had in a loooong time! Kudos to you! Perhaps you should stay away from Activision .

This Forum is very special. There is none of the anger and insults that are found everywhere else. I think I will only join forums that are started here from now on.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 01:11 PM   #9
Lily the Ranger

Saz - Oh, I know you weren't panning it (just being the wonderful sage that you are ). It is my own fault that I just like to keeps my ?genre? separate. At least, I will have my fantasy for most of the game . Then my poor medieval clods will have endure the "magic" of strange beings without being tainted by it.

skywalker - Perhaps, we should all infiltrate the other board . . . the WW Liberation Party. LOL! Did I say that out loud?
Old 01-30-2001, 01:26 PM   #10
Heado'Cabbage

picked up the game beginning jan. spent the first night roundly cursing it, and very nearly returned it.

then, i began to get into it. which is good, and bad, cause i play it too much, given that im supposed to be packing

its a good game in many respects, love the character development. love that some of the puzzles just feel so satisfying to solve, as compared to other RPGs out there.

am not so hot on the way the game world doesnt feel so real though. (c'mon, does the serpent temple seem even remotely believable? who the hell would design such a place?)
and the interface, well, the less said about it, the better. oh yeah, the manual too.

BG/BG2 are still my all time favourites, but i hafta admit, this game has its own special charm, once u get to know it. i'd be sorely disapppointed if HPI dont produce a new game.