Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2001, 01:05 AM   #1
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

HURRICANE EVACUATION PLANS FOR HOUSTON

City officials announced the Houston Hurricane
Evacuation Plan today as follows:

Hispanics use I-10 West to San Antonio.

Cajuns use I-10 East to Lafayette.

Rednecks use 59-North to East Texas.

Republicans fly Continental to Washington, D.C.

Yankees and Democrats use 45-South to Galveston.

Aggies use 610-Loop

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 08-12-2001, 01:11 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

ROTFL, John D!

But who takes I-45 north to Dallas/Fort Worth?

------------------
Old 08-12-2001, 01:17 AM   #3
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

But who takes I-45 north to Dallas/Fort Worth?

Cowboys fans? (if there are any left)

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 08-12-2001, 12:34 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
Cowboys fans? (if there are any left)

[/B]
HAHAHAHA!!!! Great comeback, John D.!!!

------------------
Old 08-13-2001, 01:03 PM   #5
Epona
Zartan

'scuse my ignorance, but what are 'aggies'???
I'm confused!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 08-13-2001, 02:13 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
'scuse my ignorance, but what are 'aggies'???
I'm confused!

Oh, man, Epona, where to start??? OK..."Aggies" are students of Texas Agricultural & Mechanical University (Texas A&M for short). For some reason they got the reputation of being the dumbest things short of owl excrement at some point in time in the past, and since then have been the brunt of "dumb" jokes the same as "blondes" have been. Pretty much, you can take any "blonde" joke, substitute "aggie" for "blonde" and recycle the joke.

For the life of me, I've never understood why they got this rep, especially as Texas A&M has a very prestigious engineering school. I think it has something to do with the military cadets there, since most cartoons about Aggies show a charicature of a gimp-nosed "goober" of a military cadet, kind of a "Gomer Pyle" type person.

That's the humor of Aggies using the 610 loop in Houston...it goes around forever in a circle.

Some typical aggie jokes:

Aggie (calling campus police): I want to report a robbery...
Police dispatch officer: Ok, sir, what was stolen?
Aggie (frantically): They got my entire pot stash and all my plants!
Police dispatch officer: Don't move, sir, we're coming right over. I've got five squad cars heading there right now.
Aggie (relieved): Oh, thank you. Thank heavens, they missed all my cocaine!

Two aggies were talking, and one was telling the other about a girl who had given him a ride. "So we're out riding in the country, and she stops the car, and gets out, takes off all her clothes, and tells me, 'You can have anything that you want!' So, I take her car."
The other one says, "You did the right thing, man...her clothes probably wouldn't have fit you anyway."

What do you call 10 aggies in a classroom?
A kindergarten.

How many aggies does it take to change a lightbulb?
100...one to hold the lightbulb, and 99 to turn the building round and round.

I think you get the idea!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 08-13-2001).]
Old 08-14-2001, 07:27 AM   #7
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Well in the earning of the reputation for being stupid ---- its not completely unfounded.

Each year there is a HUGE pep rally the night before the annual football game with the Texas Longhorns. Thousands of students and alumni show up for a good bout of raising hell and drinking. I think there are about 30,000 people that come to this event each year.

Each year the engineering department of Texas A&M builds a huge bonfire out of logs which are interlocked and held together by steel cables. It stands about 50 feet tall and the students get one it and raise hell. The plan is for the students to raise hell (and school spirit) for a short time before they all climb down and light the bonfire which can be seen for MILES. (They use about 20 tons of wood on it.)

Anway, The engineering department did such a good job building it in 1999 that 13 students were either killed or seriously injured WHEN THE ENTIRE STRUCTURE COLLAPSED. Luckily some were killed instantly but others were unfortunate enough to been injured to the point that they had to spend weeks in Intensive Care at BAYLOR Hospital. (Note that it wasnt Texas A&M Hospital.)

I think about 6 of the 13 students were killed. Seeing this run into the by the local news in Dallas bothered me more than the actual tragedy. I got sick of it. Everyone I know got sick of it. Too bad for the students, really, but it doesnt help when the news runs a story so much that it makes you take a "who cares" attitude. Clinton did Monica Lewinski. I dont care. Mainly because Im sick of hearing about it.

Where Sazerac said you could subsitute the word "blonde" for "Aggie" you would do just as well to say "moron".

Their highly rated engineering department cant even be trusted to build a bonfire. Sheesh.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Earthdog (edited 08-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Earthdog (edited 08-14-2001).]
Old 08-14-2001, 10:10 AM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Earthdog...I sincerely hope this was intended as a joke. If so, I suggest you use "smileys" to clarify your meaning. If not...

The 1999 A&M bonfire tragedy was utterly avoidable, but it was a tragedy none the less.

I care, and I don't care if they were my worst enemies, I'd still care because they are HUMAN BEINGS. I certainly don't believe in making a monument out of the tragedy, but I would never stoop to hurl insults at the dead. BTW, Texas A&M University was impeccable about following up on the tragedy and investigating its causes. The one thing I would fault them for was not having proper supervision in the building of the structure. Those were engineering STUDENTS, not professionals, that were building the bonfire tower, and they had no proper supervision in doing so.

If you must be angry at someone, be angry at the media that runs a story into the ground to milk as much ratings out of it as possible (e.g. the Levy-Condit scandal that I'm ready to spit about every time it comes up). But don't take it out on those who have already passed on.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 08-14-2001).]
Old 08-14-2001, 10:59 AM   #9
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Sazerak, I edited my post. And yes you were right. I apologise. That was pretty nasty. I still think they are a bunch of morons Pretty inhumane of me Well Ill try to stay a little more upbeat.

I now have to ask you to edit yours to take out the parts that I did. If there is anything else you think I should edit out please tell me. I dont have a problem with that.

I hate to drudge up something you are obviously sick of but what is the Levy-Condit scandal? Never heard of it.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2001, 11:24 AM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I did edit it, Earthdog, and thank you. The "accident" still is a sore point around Texas. I have a friend whose younger brother one of the victims of the accident. She still is in mourning over it.

The Levy-Condit thing...whoo boy! Well, I'm glad you DON'T know about that, because it means the media over there isn't running it into the ground either. Chandra Levy was a congressional intern working on her masters degree. She had an affair with a congressman, Gary Condit. She disappeared under mysterious circumstances, and now he's being implicated in her disappearance. That's the bare-bones description. The trouble is, none of the media will let it ALONE. It's despicable the way they pick it apart and throw the basest of sexual innuendos around. You can't tune into a news station or read any news page on the internet without "Levy" or "Condit" screaming at you from the headlines.

Yes, it's enough to make one scream...and so I do understand your frustration about the bonfire incident!

Cheers,

------------------