Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 10:51 AM   #11
Skippy1
Elminster

Does anyone really think that much would be different if Kerry had been elected?

I have to say that my overall impression of the Presidents powers in the states is that he still has to go throgh a lot of people before he can actually instigate anything major. For this reason, I can't see how a change of Pres. would have changed a lot anyway.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:51 AM   #12
Moiraine
Anubis

Quote:
Originally posted by dplax:
To add to a topic french newspaper Le courrier international had a front page headline in front of a picture of Bush) saying.

Putain!! 4 ans.

Which would roughly translates to:
Sh*t!! 4 years.

I feel that they went too far
This is a private joke DPlax. We have a satirical muppet show here in France called "les Guignols", where many political an other people are represented by a muppet, and this expression refers to back in 1988 when Mitterrand was elected president against Chirac, and in the show Chirac's muppet kept saying "Putain ! 7 ans !", meaning that he would have to wait for 7 years before trying again to be elected, referring to the duration of the presidential mandate back then (it has since been reduced to 5 years).

That was meant to be understood by the French people as 'tongue in cheek'.

Try to get information first before jumping to conclusions.

I'd appreciate little snide comments about French to stop too.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:53 AM   #13
MagiK

Johnny, not a chance. However I think the impression was (and I may be wrong here) but I think the impression was, that if Kerry got into office, the EU and the UN would have a lot more control over US national Policy.

I also think that there was some hope of having the US military or at least it's use under a UN control.....not that this would have happened..I just think this was what was hoped for froma Kerry Presidency.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:59 AM   #14
dplax
Jack Burton

Moiraine:

First of all sorry for misinterpreting that newspaper headline. Not even the french people who were with me when we saw this new about this. They also told me that they thought this was going a bit far. This is probably because us university students were only little kids in 1988 when that event happened, so we can't remember it.

Secondly I did not intend to make a little snide comment about French people, I intended to make a little snide comment about a certain newspaper. If I had any problems with french people then I wouldn't have come study in France. I have no problem whatsoever with french people, I even prefer their mentality to that of hungarian's.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:17 PM   #15
Djinn Raffo
Ra

It's the Daily Mirror people.. I don't think the average Mirror reader should be calling anyone else dumb.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:20 PM   #16
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
It's the Daily Mirror people.. I don't think the average Mirror reader should be calling anyone else dumb.
I'm kinda glad somebody said that, too. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #17
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Light Bulb

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

As far as my fat gun totin ass goes....it's probably the slimmest part of me...I wish I had more of a caboose.....but oh well me bum is me bum and I have to accept that [img]smile.gif[/img]
As someone once said "You only need a big hammer if you've got a big nail" [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Mouse ducks, covers then runs for the hills....... [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:51 PM   #18
MagiK

DoH!

hehehe good one Mouse

Djin not everyone knows the character of the media rags of every nation [img]smile.gif[/img] I take it that you mean to say this paper is somewhat like our Enquirer or some other tabloid.
[img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2004, 01:54 PM   #19
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Like that yeah, but i'd say, like most British tabloids, it has a bit more venom to it.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 03:02 PM   #20
MagiK

Is there a reason why the British tabloids would have more venom? I mean I don't really read many of the Papers in the UK unless someone quotes an article form them. OUr media kind of walks a fine line because they might get sued if they go too far. Guess I really should pay more attention, but life has a way of keeping one busy so you can't do everything.