Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2003, 04:28 PM   #1
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

I had to reformat my computer due to some virus or other...

When it came to re-installing Windows its now set as NFTS...i think thats what it is...and now I don't know how to change it back, I really think I should as my computer has been acting strangely since it has been changed over, the virus is entirely gone due to some help by NTL, and I doubt it would have affected my computer all that badly.

Cheers for any help,

J.W.K
Old 09-03-2003, 04:37 PM   #2
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

It is NTFS (NT File System). You can not change it back without another program. Partition magic could change it back or if you made a ghost image then formatted you system you could restore the image back to the FAT32 partition. Normally NTFS is a good thing. What problems are you running into? Do you have Norton SystemWorks or Norton Utilites?

Granamere

Edit: If someone tells you to run convert from a DOS Prompt it will not work. Convert only goes from FAT32 to NTFS. Not the other way around.

[ 09-03-2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Granamere ]
Old 09-03-2003, 06:24 PM   #3
Zero Alpha

1. the only reliable way is to reformat. i know there are probably programs that can do it, but i would not trust any windows program with my file system!

2. NTFS shouldt cause any problems whatsoever. the only difference between it and Fat32 is it is more effieciently organised for faster use. when i thought i had problems with some games and NTFS it turned out to be a bad stick of RAM
Old 09-03-2003, 10:17 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

NTFS is better for a typically modern and good machine of today's youth, unless you have an old and slow machine with about 10 GB HD.
That is what the instruction booklet described it like when I installed XP.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:01 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Another issue for NTFS is other computer systems... older Windows versions (W95A and prior, IIRC) can't read an NTFS system, so they won't be able to connect to your system.

Of course, you may want that [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:04 AM   #6
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

NTFS is only a problem if you boot to 95 or 98. They have to be installed on a FAT or FAT32 partition and would not be able to read a "D:" drive that was NTFS. If you are connecting from a 95 or 98 computer across a network there is an issuse of security but after you put in the right user name and password in you should have access to the NTFS files. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Granamere
Old 09-04-2003, 12:25 PM   #7
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

Okey Doke, ill leave it NFTS, I cannot be bothered to re-format again.

Thanks anyway,
J.W.K
Old 09-04-2003, 04:16 PM   #8
WillowIX
Apophis

Felix, couldn't you tell us what strange things are happening to your computer? Perhaps it isn't NTFS that's toying with you but something else. [img]smile.gif[/img] There are several great computer gurus in here. Andrewas being one of them. He has an answer to every computer problem. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2003, 07:10 AM   #9
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Another issue for NTFS is other computer systems... older Windows versions (W95A and prior, IIRC) can't read an NTFS system, so they won't be able to connect to your system.

Of course, you may want that [img]smile.gif[/img]
Oh and I found a tool that allows win98 to read NTFS partitions. You can't write to it but you can read from it. Haven't tested it though. http://www.systeminternals.com/
Old 09-08-2003, 12:52 PM   #10
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

NTFS (New Technology File System) was designed, apart from adding greater data access speed, to also communicate with other platforms such as mac OS. This presented a problem to the makers as macs save files often not only with the .*** extension but with data in the file itself used to identify what program to use to open it etc. So in NTFS Alternate Data Streams (ADS) were created for this purpose, this allows data to be added to these streams to identify the file and run undetectably which is not really such a good thing.
Also if you had access to someones computer and just wanted to be annoying you could add a few gigabytes to explorer.exe which would be udetectable without the use of a program etc.

http://www.storageadmin.com/Articles...rticleID=19878
http://www.heysoft.de/nt/ntfs-ads.htm
http://www.heysoft.de/nt/lads.zip (program that lists ADSs)