Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2001, 01:17 AM   #1
scuba_pup
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Is this a mis-print in the IWD manual or does it work? If so how do you trigger it and how can you check its functioning (other than watching the att role log real careful)? I know how it works in BGII (replace shield with second weapon - but that does not seem to happen here).

Any thoughts?
scuba_pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 01:59 AM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

I think you get an extra attack from your ranger IF he/she is only equiped with a 1-handed weapon and the off-hand carries nothing.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 02:04 AM   #3
Lrd Feanor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It did not work for me and I noticed also that only the fighter of the fighter class can exceed +2 in specialization.....that sucks. Especially since the Paladin and Ranger classes are suppose to be equal if not better than the normal fighter in some areas...Ranger gets +1 when using longswords and bows just like Elves.
Lrd Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 02:01 PM   #4
vesselle
Hathor

scuba_pup: you can check in your chars' record. scroll down the info box to the right of her picture, directly under the thac0 it will say "attacks: X x/x". it is VERY IMPORTANT to have her equipped with the weapon you're checking. *rolls her eyes, smiling* sorry, as if you didn't know that.

anyway, her attacks work in my game.
but that's only one reason i adore my little level one ranger. her 2 1/2 on her bow is quite elegant also. i can't live without my sweet Minscetta. *lol*
i just started a brand new game (fourth one) and watching those orcs crumple, before anyone else knows they are near, is soo sweet.
i'm seriously considering a ranger-only party.

but about you guys that aren't getting the extra attack... i have how and how's patch installed. dunno if that makes a difference. i know it changes certain encounters, as far as *what* or *who* you face.

sorry. its sad that your rangers are handicapped.

V***V

[This message has been edited by vesselle (edited 06-13-2001).]
vesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 02:26 PM   #5
Axterix
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lrd Feanor:
It did not work for me and I noticed also that only the fighter of the fighter class can exceed +2 in specialization.....that sucks. Especially since the Paladin and Ranger classes are suppose to be equal if not better than the normal fighter in some areas...Ranger gets +1 when using longswords and bows just like Elves.
Nope, this is D&D rules. Fighters can go to 5 (optional rule in fighter's handbook, I believe). Paladins and rangers can't. Just a bit of balancing they did to even out the paladin and ranger getting special abilities and spells. As for ranger getting +1 with longswords or bows, never read that rule. Far as I know, it doesn't exist. Rangers get to be ambidextrous (hence why they get dual wield in the game) but that's about their only weapon related bonus.

Ranger dual wield does work, for some weapon categories at least. I know it works for swords and maces. Just give them a 1h weapon and see the number of attacks. And then equipt a shield with it and see it drop by 1. Well, at least it works for me. Personally, I don't bother with it. I prefer the 3 or 4 AC from a good shield. Too bad you can't set up a ranger-thief... 2 rings of the warrior-thief, dual wield, and a morningstar of action... +4 attacks. That would do some serious damage

Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 03:37 PM   #6
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

Yeah, any one handed weapon wielded while not equipping a shiled will give the extra attack bonus. sometimes though, if you equip a shield and look at your attacks, it will appear not to lose the bonus attack. then, if you unequip the shield, sometimes the extra attack seems to be lost.
in reality, it works fine but sometimes has a little trouble reporting it to the character info screen. freaky
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2001, 11:40 PM   #7
Havok
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I don't think that IWD is not really tuned to having Rangers or Paladins in your party...more of a personal preference than a real need. The two limit on weapon specialization really sucks and their innate abilities aren't all that useful in this game. HoW supposedly ramped up the Ranger's tracking ability, but big whoop, when do you use it?

For Paladins, there is the "Pale Justice", which is IWD's version of a Holy Avenger, but I don't think it's available til late in the game...least I haven't found it yet anyway, but again his innate abilities aren't really all that hot. However, as a Paladin in IWD, you don't have to worry about doing evil things and taking rep hits or falling from grace (just don't kill townspeople is all you need to not do). Everything else seems to be acceptable.

Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 02:15 PM   #8
Axterix
Manshoon

Nah, I've found both classes to be quite useful.

The paladin is nice as a defensive warrior... LoH can allow you to hang in there with some tougher enemies without requiring your druid/cleric to move in. And with how Protection From Evil is just a 2 ac bonus, well, makes that a great paladin special ability. The priest spells also come in quite handy, mostly the high level ones. Not to mention paladins are the best to hand 3 White Doves to.

I'm much less impressed with the ranger, but again, it comes down to using his spells. The druid spells are quite nice. Ensnare, summon animals, and the like. Perhaps if you'd been able to actually charm a few animals instead of not even getting a save message, rangers would be more useful. Ranger spells cover a wide variety of things... which is why the multiclass ranger/cleric is probably the most popular class to solo the game with.

Much of it has to do with party composition, of course. If you are running clericless, the paladin's priest spells become more useful. If your mage is a conjurer (no summoning spells), the ranger summoning spells come in very handy. If you have a druid in the party who you aren't relying on to heal... then why bother with a ranger?

The primary advantage I see to fighters is not weapon specialization. It's levelling. Lower thac0 makes a big dif. And specialization requires such a big commitment. It is nice to have party members that are proficient in a large variety of weapons... you never know what nifty toy you can come across. And for that, the paladin and ranger are quite nice.
Old 06-15-2001, 04:49 PM   #9
Windrunner
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As far as the limit to 2 levels of weapon specialization for Rangers and Paladins that is the standard D&D rules. In reguards to multiple attacks, as long as no sheild is equiped you get the extra attack with the one weapon that is equiped. My Ranger right now with the +2 long bow, and my fighter/theif with the messenger of Sseth both have 3 attacks per round. By the Gods I love being a Ranger. By the way has anyone else noticed this. My new IWD quest, my Ranger has not gained the cure light wounds special ability, she keeps getting only the charm animal one this is driving me crazy.

------------------
Windrunner, Ranger of the Wolf Clan
Windrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 08:46 PM   #10
Axterix
Manshoon

Rangers don't get cure light wounds ability. Neither does anyone else, for that matter.

The cure light wounds ability is a special BG thing, for being what you are, the main character only. Your alignment determines what ability you get and, well, for good, it is cure light wounds.