Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
Khalen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey all,

I just started NWN for the first time. I made a Custom bard and I'm about level 5 now. At this moment I'm doubting about my character. I like playing with him but I'm wondering if he can survive much longer.

I prefer not to take any henchmen with me but I'm not sure if I can survive that way. So my question: Is a bard a viable solo option?
Khalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

Yes, he is but difficult perhaps the first time around.

A few tips:
1. Taking four levels of either Fighter, Ranger or Barbarian will give you one extra attack per round eventyally.
2. Use summons.
3. Use 'Use Magic Device', it'll let you use spellscrolls and items you otherwise wont be able to use.
4. The Bard has several quite useful spells: Summon spells, stat raisning ones (Bull's Strength etc. ), Ghostly Visage, Haste, Improved Invisibility, and War Cry to mention some. If you're lv. 5 then you should have Ghostly Visage avable to you, which grants you 10/+2 damage reduction and 10% concealment, and if you didn't pick it; do so at level 6 as this spell is pretty standard at low levels.
5. Don't forget the Bard Song, it can be pretty useful.

Hope this helps, but note that playing a solo Bard the first time around is difficult, especially in a combat-heavy game such as NWN.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:56 PM   #3
ScottG
Drow Warrior

A bard really starts comming into his/her own at level 8 when they start getting level 3 spells. Hopefully you have SOU installed for the spell Wounding Whispers - which is VERY powerfull against everything but a Greater Minigon. (Its actually one of the most powerfull spells in the game.)

IMO I prefer an elf for the bard and utilizing them as archers (with the ubiquitous summon distracting opponents while you pump arrows into them).

Also seriously consider spending points in set trap even with the penalty - trap setting can be invaluable with weaker melee characters.

IF you go the figter route remember that you could face pentalties to exp. if you don't do it properly (depending on race). Also remember that you will only have one additional class to choose from after that.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:09 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Bards are actually very powerful when built right. They can rival a good fighter or cleric easily. Use Bard Song alot and make sure you get the right amount of Perform points. Take Curse Song and Extra Music (if by chance you actually have SOU). Concentrate on dex as opposed to str and wear light armor. Up Charisma a little bit (maybe 15/16 eventually) and take useful spells like Improved Invis., Ethereal Visage. Balagorns (Xp1). Wear a shield when not casting and remove it when casting spells. Don't forget the sunscreen.

[ 03-29-2004, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 03-31-2004, 09:04 AM   #5
Khalen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello,

thank you all for the replies. Currently I am level 8 and I have finished Chapter 1(though I haven't done many sidequests)

I am still faring well and haven't encountered many serious obstacles. I found the spellcasters a bit too easy. They used many ability-affecting spells which made me hit less hard but the constant bashing of me and my trusty boar made them fall to their knees. On the other hand the sorcerors you encounter early in the game were much more of a chore seeing that one or two fireballs could kill me. If any of the 'higher' casters would decide to use a 'heavy spell' on me I'd die. For example, when I rushed a certain caster in the crypts, she was more concerned with healing herself than killing me.

The only real threats were the spiders. It took many reloads to defeat them. Ghostly Visage combined with the bard song were real life savers. Adding my boar to it effectively doubles the damage I do in a round.

Furthermore I plan to polish my fighting techniques(I already have weapon finesse and rapier focus) and focus on dexterity. A leather armor+1 is the heaviest I'm willing to carry and no shields. Adding all bonuses and gear I add up to a AC of 22.

I'm just wondering if I'll be able to survive when I meet a real threat: an able spellcaster or a plated knight or something. Not even mentioning monsters...(not that I know what I will encounter, but I can imagine [img]smile.gif[/img] )

edit:
furthermore, in the beginning I was mislead by my inexperience with bards. I didn't realise that the bard song also affected me although I busy casting and/or fighting. I thought that it was either sing or fight....

[ 03-31-2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Khalen ]
Khalen is offline   Reply With Quote