Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2002, 12:42 PM   #31
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Xyx:
Dundee spaketh:

"What is your playing style then?"

Bashing stuff with the Flail of Ages, mostly. =D
// Alson: Amen to that. Long live Fury and Ages.

"As an early Anti-Spellcaster spell, Miscast Magic is superior."

Obviously a matter of taste, but how good is an anti-mage spell that gets
deflected, nullified or even bounced back by every spell protection out there
(as opposed to Hold Person, which is only nullified by the Globes)? Not that I
think Hold Person is that great, mind you. The main reason I don't like Miscast
Magic is that it's plain weak. Holy Smite and Animate Dead are such great
spells in comparison, probably even against mages.
// Alson: I agree with Xyx, here. I don't like Miscast, either.

"Everytime I summon an Aerial Servant, the enemy can see them without fail."

Try casting Farsight and CLUAing one (servsu) next to a bunch of hobgoblins
(hobarc01) or something. They won't see it until it attacks.

"To defeat a Lich"

I tend to mostly just run away from them (they're so slow) when they start
casting (invariably Time Stop, which takes them a while), wait for their
Protection from Magical Weapons to wear off, then rush them and bash them with
the Flail of Ages (which is quite good at disrupting spells). =D
// Alson: I HATE running away from liches. So, in high levels it's Nature's Beauty and/or Power Word: Blind (both ignore spell protecions and renders the Lich helpless - if it can't see ya, it can't blast you with spells. ), then blasting with spells. In low levels, It's just a lame "Loot Daystar, Fry the Lich with Sunray" tactic. Havn't fought the Improved Mages (thus Liches) from the Tactical Mod.

"[about RATI] Here are some screenshots of the tactic in action with a Necromancer"

Heh. Impressive!
// Alson: Yes, Dundee's screenshots are lovely. The tactic itself is simple and well know, i think - you don't ought to be a genius to figure out that 1+1=2.

Cheers,
Xyx
[ 11-06-2002, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: Alson ]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 12:52 PM   #32
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Nothing to add really, since it has boiled down to matter of taste now. The invisibility for Aerial Servants seems pointless though, if it is true, since the point of having an Aerial Servant is to smash the brains of enemies. Had it been Improved Invisibility, then it might be worth mentioning. Of course, I guess this means that they get first strike.

Cheerio.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 01:13 PM   #33
Alson
Galvatron

With a +4 THAC0/DMG bonus. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Old 11-06-2002, 01:19 PM   #34
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alson:
With a +4 THAC0/DMG bonus. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Eh? That is with Improved Invisibility, and it is a +4 THACO bonus, and a +4 to saving throws.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:52 PM   #35
Alson
Galvatron

I think that just being Invisible grants you these bonuses - becuase attacking for the shadows grants them, too. It's a mere speculation, though.

You are right about the +4 to Saving Throws, but AFAIK, it also grants "Attack Bonus" - which is a bonus to both THAC0 and damage.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:07 AM   #36
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I highly doubt Improved Invisibility grants damage bonuses. It is not an Attack Bonus, but a bonus to Attack Roll( as in THACO). I referred to IWD as well, and there was no mention of damage bonuses either in the character list or spell description.

An easy experiment will be to create a Mage, a Kensai, and a target. Use the Mage to cast II on the Kensai, then using the Kensai, activate Kai and hit the target( who should be armed).

[ 11-07-2002, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 11-07-2002, 05:31 AM   #37
dragon_lord
Elminster

I tested the Improved Invisibility out on my mage carefully writing down his saving throws, THAC0 and bonuses to damage by reading them off character information screen. Casting improved I i noticed the THAC0 went down by 4 but i failed to see any change in saving throws. Unless its a hidden bonus there is no bonus to saving throws that i can see from Improved I, even though its states that it does have it in the description. Bonus to Damage remained the same. Further digging into improved invisibility by looking at the spell with near infinity and infinity engine editor pro failed to turn up anything about bonuses to saving throws.
[img]\"http://unrealpowerhouse.ozforces.com.au/lich_des.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/\" target=\"_blank\">The Items Mart</a><br /><br />[url]\"http://www.flatface.net/~itemsmart/misc.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Monster Enchantments and Immunities List</a>
dragon_lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 10:00 AM   #38
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Bleah. [img]tongue.gif[/img] No bonus to saving throws huh? I am a bit muddled by your comments on damage though. Is there, or is there not a bonus to damage?
Old 11-07-2002, 11:07 AM   #39
Alson
Galvatron

The Saving Throws bonus IS there.

I'll test about the damage bonus issue.