Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2003, 12:03 PM   #11
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Looks like I've been the longest, so far! Been with my present company for a total of 15 years. With one break. I left in 1988 and went to work with the local government (Never do that again. Work for the government that is). I also was in the Gulf War during this break. Came back in the fall of 1991.

This wasn't the career I thought I be in when I graduated from High School, but I like it and it's somewat cutting edge. How much longer will I be with this company? I don't know. If something better comes along, I'll go, but it definately has to be BETTER. I work with a good group of people. That's something you can't get just anywhere!
Old 06-17-2003, 04:50 PM   #12
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:
How lucky for your father, Aelia. For him to be there so long he must have not only enjoyed his work but his employer must have treated him well. I think (at least in the U.S.) that the main reason ppl don't stay at one company anymore is because most (not all, just most) companies no longer treat their employees as individuals and as humans. They are now just treated as a number and a resource, and therefore, employees don't feel a sense of loyalty to their employer. It would be great if we could get back to that, though.
Yes it was that way right up until he left - the board decided to make his position redundant and incorporate it into a bigger position. He could have applied for it but if he didn't get it but was offered a different position which he didn't want (out in woop-woop) he wouldn't have got all his entitlements. But it was all so cold - all his staff and the people he worked with were so lovely, with cards and this personalised newsletter and a great gift and a farewell party, which was lovely. But the guy who my dad had just the day before said had been his mentor and helped him reach the position he was at only managed to make the contribution of coming down on his last day and demanding his access card and company credit card and mobile phone back [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] . None of the other general managers (like my dad) saw fit to sign any cards or do anything special for him. He left feeling really disillusioned and hurt.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:49 PM   #13
Davros
Takhisis Follower

I hate stories with unhappy endings - that is shameful the way they treated your dad after so many years service AJ . That doesn't sound like a voluntary redundancy to me.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:20 PM   #14
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Yeah it wasn't really. Basically the new CEO has no control over the board, and the board doesn't really care about loyalty and the importance of experience. Fortunately his contract gave him a good payout, plus he gets to keep his Statesman, and due to his contacts and obvious competence which apparently was not enough for QR, he has another job which starts as soon as his QR-funded holiday finishes next month

It's sad too because the project that my dad was so integral on, the tilt trains, have only just been finished and they're on the news and such, and it's as if he had nothing to do with it. He actually went into QR yesterday to apply for some engineering award for that project and yet he's no longer fit to work there anymore
Old 06-19-2003, 07:23 AM   #15
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:

It's sad too because the project that my dad was so integral on, the tilt trains, have only just been finished and they're on the news and such, and it's as if he had nothing to do with it. He actually went into QR yesterday to apply for some engineering award for that project and yet he's no longer fit to work there anymore
I (we) was there at Cairns station when they unveiled it, quite by accident. We were getting information on the Kuranda railway. and the tilt train and the TV cameras were there!!! I don’t suppose you or your dad was there too Aelia?

Sorry to hear about your dad, I hope "they" get treated like that in years to come.