Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2003, 04:55 PM   #21
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I want to be an English teacher.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:43 PM   #22
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
I wanted to be a doctor. Roger, that. I wanted to marry Galadria. That happened, too. Now, I want to be a published writer. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I'll just change Galadria to Stephen and remove the published write part and what's left above is what I would have said. I would like to change the published writer part to what Charlie said.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:47 PM   #23
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
What, my older? *sigh*
[img]tongue.gif[/img]
LOL Vask, might as well give up - it's a lost case. But I think it's great your putting in the effort of trying to point out that annoying and stupid mistake time and time again
Old 05-11-2003, 07:36 PM   #24
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I've wanted to be a teacher, writer, interior decorator, pharmacist. Now I want to be a clinical psychologist. But I am having a lot of fun doing my research project! I love feeling like I own my hypotheses and my theory and my experimental design. I am seriously thinking of doing a PhD instead of masters and becoming a researcher.
Doing a master's doesn't rule you out of doing a PhD. I'm doing a master's and haven't decided yet if I want to do a PhD or not. It's tempting but I don't think I'd be motivated enough to research the same thing for 3 years... well I've got another year to think about it. Also there is the small matter of getting a 1st class degree which I have to work harder for

Mel - I know I know..... can't resist - guess it gives me a false sense of intelligence ... what, my putting?
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 05-11-2003, 09:12 PM   #25
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
I've wanted to be a teacher, writer, interior decorator, pharmacist. Now I want to be a clinical psychologist. But I am having a lot of fun doing my research project! I love feeling like I own my hypotheses and my theory and my experimental design. I am seriously thinking of doing a PhD instead of masters and becoming a researcher.
Doing a master's doesn't rule you out of doing a PhD. I'm doing a master's and haven't decided yet if I want to do a PhD or not. It's tempting but I don't think I'd be motivated enough to research the same thing for 3 years... well I've got another year to think about it. Also there is the small matter of getting a 1st class degree which I have to work harder for
[/QUOTE]Yes I know, what I mean is, going straight into a PhD instead of doing a Masters first. I don't want to spend TOO many years at uni! Also to be a clinical psychologist you do a coursework masters, with the bulk of it supervised counselling, not a research masters. Oh well. Have to get 1st class honours first, or I won't even get the option

Yeah that's the trick, making sure your topic is interesting and sufficiently deep to do it for three years (or more!). My brother is actually doing a PhD in computer science, and he says after 3 years it's really getting boring and unmotivating (he's still working on it ). I think that wouldn't be too much of a problem with me though. My honours thesis is on spelling (something near and dear to your heart I know [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and I'm finding it so interesting!
Old 05-11-2003, 11:30 PM   #26
Seraph
Quintesson

Well, when I was 5 I wanted to become a teacher. Then at some point I decided I wanted to be a scientist. Then when I found out that an engineer wasn't just someone who drove a train, I thought I might do that. Now that I'm in college for Engineering I'm pretty sure I want to go to law school when I graduate.
Old 05-12-2003, 01:49 AM   #27
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

Retired!
Old 05-12-2003, 02:41 AM   #28
dark_angel_of_mine
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Light Bulb

***stands with hands on hips defiant look on face....i aint never gonna grow up...out maybe ..but not up. lol anyway i always wanted to be a truck driver when i was a kid then it went to race car driver then a drummer hmmm took band in school wouldnt let a girl play drums made me play the clarinet i still get ticked when i think about that..sorry i drifted off subject again...i ended up getting married at 17 never going back to school and yes i regret it everyday...but to answer your question in todays world technology is the way to go in my opinion.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:51 AM   #29
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Turns out my brother and I have the same future in mind... continuing to write books on our own tropical island, calm and peaceful with just enough civilization to keep things going.

Until I get there, I am continuing to work in computers, and getting ready for (a) the second edition of the technical book I wrote and (b) a second technical book that I need to finish fleshing out.

Unfortunately, those are targeted at such a small market that the only tropical island they'll get for me is a lump of sod in a mud puddle [img]smile.gif[/img]

Still, it's a start...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.