Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2002, 12:02 AM   #81
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Well I have not been on for a few days but I have noticed some threads getting out of hand. So I am glad these problems were addressed. To bad it had too be done. I do not have alot to add other then I as well as Larry like to visit the board I have been around for sometime now. I may not post as much as some other members but I enjoy lurking around [img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img] and reading your posts.

Over and out.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:15 AM   #82
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

[img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kissy2.gif[/img] :1love: [img]graemlins/lovestory.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/lovestory2.gif[/img] (ok ok...so that's all the 'love' smileys we have! )

Larry's right. He did get scolded for being out of line when he was misunderstood and had badly phrased something which upset other members.

Being a mod means attempting to be as impartial as one can while helping to ensure the rules are followed. That makes IW a good place to be. It's why I'm still here after more than 2 yrs and it's why I agreed to be a mod. I think it's important work and since I love Ironworks, I wanted to help keep it a decent, fun, interesting and safe place to hang out. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now, let's all go post in some fun, decent, interesting etc... threads!

[ 11-24-2002, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 11-24-2002, 12:17 AM   #83
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Alas, I as I have posted elsewhere, I entirely agree. Ziroc, I would not get drunk in your living room or insult your friends. I also would not disrespect ( I hate that word. What would be the classic tag? Disdain? Disregard???) Any way, just tell us what you want. The rest of us here are anxious to be on your side.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:16 AM   #84
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

since i live in a totally opossite timezone when most of you guys are asleep or working.. forgive me for this late opinion

personally, i agreed with nebs opinions. i think it is just common courtesy to reply to someone when they asked what they have done wrong in the first place. i know this is Z's forum and his rulez. i dont think neb was trying to insult someone... heck he already trying to be polite and stated that somethings (his opinions) should not be discussed in IW. but some of you still questioned his earlier post (for me: in a impetious manner). that i say why neb will be missed since he has indeed been with us for such a long time. i believe that "to earn respect of one person is to give respect yourself towards that person". i know that some of you think that "if you dont like this forum, then just leave", well for me i think that it is better to have common understanding. if both of your views dont mix then try to find the middle ground. that has always been my opinion. if that middle ground means leaving the forum... then so be it. but i dont think that was the case with neb. he was just stating his own opinions and emailed already the mods for that. if people dont agree me then i cant do anything about it. i am just stating my own opinion in a civilized and polite manner as possible. im giving out my respect for towards you all for being polite and i very much would like the respect i have given you all. i am not looking for arguements nor supports from people. i am just stating my own views (my 2c) as a member of this fine community. thank you for reading.

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-24-2002, 01:19 AM   #85
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm gone for 12 hours and where does the thread go? Won't you guys even let me SLEEP!!

I've read through the replies and have picked out some key point which can summarize this issue:

1. By and large, people don't mind doing what the mods tell them
2. The mods are generally seen as authority figures
3. For some people, the way that mods provide direction is important (asked vs. told what to do - illusion of free will etc. j/k)

Now what you think of each mod is your own business. We can't FORCE you to respect a mod, at least not inside. Respect has to be earned, both for a mod as well as for a member. But whatever your personal feelings are, if a mods asks or tells (whatever verb you want to use) you to do something then you DO IT. Because moderators ARE the authority here, and this is NOT NEGOTIABLE. This is what I mean by RESPECT. Sorry fellas, if that sounds dictatorial, that's because it has to be. This forum is easily ten times bigger than it was even just two years ago.

Like Luvian said, if a cop pulls you over, you do what he tells you. You might write a letter to the police service afterwards disputing the ticket you received, and provide evidence to support you, but at the time you do what he tells you - because he is the figure of authority, and because he will put you in jail if you don't. Following a moderator's request to do something doesn't make you less of a person - it just means that you are following guidelines of behaviour that you agreed to follow when you joined here. These guidelines of behaviour are a PRECONDITION to participation here. Don't agree, don't participate.

And if you don't like the way Ziroc runs this place, then you shouldn't be here - because Ziroc owns this place, like it or not. That's not going to change. If you want to buy it from Ziroc and invest the time and money that he has to keep it running then you can run it the way you like - but till then you accept the way he runs it, or you leave. I would've thought that this would be a simple decision.

And the overwhelming majority of us are here because, by and large, we like the way this forum is run.

We don't pick just anyone to be a mod here. We're proud of our record at keeping Ironworks a flame-free, troll-free environment. We've done this over the course of three years and this community has grown and continued to grow - therefore we must be doing something right. We know what kind of qualities we expect in our mods, because much is expected of them when they are chosen. It's a hell of a lot of work, which often forces you to stand up for your principles using the power of words alone. It will force you to make decisions that you KNOW will make you unpopular at times, but you know that those decisions are the right decisions to make, in the best interests of everyone in this forum (not just you). It's a lot of stress, and a lot of frustration at times.

Most of all, we stay away from picking people who are just out for personal prestige, power, popularity or glory - we don't want those people as moderators. People can achieve all those things without being mods. We want mods who will put this community first, hold true to their principles and make tough decisions that might make them unpopular with others, and will do the right thing.

[ 11-24-2002, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 11-24-2002, 01:38 AM   #86
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
I'm gone for 12 hours and where does the thread go? Won't you guys even let me SLEEP!!
sorry to hear that your losing sleep over this one memsy. i guess that the problem was already here before hand and nobody recognized it until now.. i guess this thread was the catalyst.

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-24-2002, 01:40 AM   #87
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

All I can say is ...great post Mems! You summed things up quite nicely!
Old 11-24-2002, 01:50 AM   #88
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
quote:

sorry to hear that your losing sleep over this one memsy. i guess that the problem was already here before hand and nobody recognized it until now.. i guess this thread was the catalyst.[/QUOTE]I'm not losing sleep mate - I just slept for 12 hours. I wasn't going to lose sleep over this.

Old 11-24-2002, 01:59 AM   #89
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Harkoliar:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry to hear that your losing sleep over this one memsy. i guess that the problem was already here before hand and nobody recognized it until now.. i guess this thread was the catalyst.

I'm not losing sleep mate - I just slept for 12 hours. I wasn't going to lose sleep over this.
heh, this forum had tougher times than this one mems, the storm will pass quickly. anyway, im might be meeting you pretty soon.. im leaving for sydney next year... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Old 11-24-2002, 02:06 AM   #90
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

Quote:
heh, this forum had tougher times than this one mems, the storm will pass quickly. anyway, im might be meeting you pretty soon.. im leaving for sydney next year... [img]smile.gif[/img]
This is off-topic, and I don't want to derail this thread, but make sure you email me when you do arrive in Sydney and we'll catch up. [img]smile.gif[/img]