Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2001, 01:24 PM   #11
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Silver
Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Fish-wife? Moi? (If that's the right way to spell it)

C'est juste, ma cherie........

Pretentious? Nous? No way!!

------------------
Old 09-25-2001, 01:25 PM   #12
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Ummm...Dio, I just couldn't resist including my own story of 'bear encounter' if it's ok.

I used to hike every weekend up in the mountains here. On one trip, my hiking buddy and I were on our way up to one of the many falls up there. About half way up, we were met with several people hurriedly coming down the trail. My friend and I just kept on going. We rounded a bend only to come face to face with a black bear (I guess about a year old). It was AMAZING! I just stood still. It looked at me and I at it. Then it cried out and plunged off the side of the trail (it was steep both ways). I then hurried on back down, because I figured it had called for "Mom" and I wasn't about to see how friendly SHE might be. It was exhilarating nonetheless! Just thought I'd share.

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Owner/operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Mage extraordinair.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Occasional subjugate to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

"Allright! We'll call it a draw."
Old 09-25-2001, 01:29 PM   #13
Absynthe

Innocent? Why of course I'm innocent! I'm innocent of all thoughts of restraint. I'm innocent of purity in mind and deed. And of course I'm innocent of anything not based on hedonistic principles... And, m'dear Fljotsdale, I am utterly innocent of any talent to whistle. And I am an unabashed Anglophile, too, although I worry that my idiom may be out of date due to the slow release of vids from the U.K.

Heya Blade! I'm from over here, on the left side, just up a bit from Seattle, over to the right some... now just a bit lower.. That's It! Scratch right there.... AAAAAhhhhhh!

And in case you all thought I have been sidetracked, let me just point out that i have a bearsuit which I will loan to Dio if he so wishes...

------------------

Old 09-25-2001, 01:44 PM   #14
Absynthe

Alright DragonMage, since you started, I have to submit my own bear story. I swear that every word in this story is, in fact, a real word.
My wife and I were hiking on a ridge near Mount Baker, at about the 3,000 foot level, when my wife spied a bear feeding in a berry thicket. I decided to sneak up a nearby tree to get a good picture. I quietly climb a nice fir tree about fifty feet from the bear, who is busily and unconcernedly stuffing itself. As I get settled in, I hear my wife start to make this queer wheefing sort of noise... Annoyed at being interrupted, I glance down to see her all sort of red-faced and panicky, making quick little upward pointing gestures at me. I look at her in total puzzlement for a minute before I twig that she wants me to look up. upon doing so, I spy the south end of a small bear about five feet over my head, craning over to look down at me. After a short pause, both the bear and I decide on the same course of action: Abandon Ship!
According to my wife, we both reached bottom at approximately the same time, but the bear did it with much more savoir faire. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to get the picture I wanted, but I did discover just how fast I can move when utterly terrified.

------------------

Old 09-25-2001, 01:51 PM   #15
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Hey guys
Saw the topic and thought this might interest you. I have been a treeplanter here in Canada for many years. We go up into the mountains way out where the all the clearcuts are etc.

And ive had bear encounters in the hundreds.

In some spots we get helicoptered in and set up camp. Some of these camps are surrounded by bear fences.

One time while working me and buddy were planting along and my partner looks up and says “ hey…don’t move theres a bear 10 feet behind you.”

I look behind me slowly and sure enough this medium sized black is puttering along minding his own business. But he was right there…I could of spit on him. That time the thing just left and sniffed his way around out of our area.

Another time I was brushing, using a machete to cut down herbaceous material around planted trees. Well the herbaceous material was all about 5 feet tall so you literally could hardly see anything. Well a bunch of us are brushing along and we come across this spot where all the growth is flattened down like somethings been sleeping there. And then were getting all para cause we been smoking all day and were startin to smell this rotting carcass smell…just disgusting. Then were starting to hear things and that dint help. We found a nice high spot where we could scope out the area and there he was about ten meters behind us. You don’t want to run or do anything stupid and he wasn’t being aggressive so we just kept are heads up and the thing wouldn’t go away. We worked for another hour or so before finally we were just like lets get out of here, we were all too nervous. It just followed us around all day.

Another time while working a black charged our checker. Ran up full bore at her stopped 5 feet away and started freaking out. Jumping up and down roaring and growling snarling and looking right pissed. She just stood still and the thing eventually decided that that was enough and took off. But man that night she was so out of it. And rightfully so these animals are brutally powerful.

They are also just as curious as humans. If they see something weird going on they just have to check it out. Not to raise hell or anything they just want to see whats up.

Saw two grizzlies playing with each other once too. That was cool. Two big bad muthas rolling and slapping each other. Must have been brother and sis or sumthin. But if you could have seen the power that these two were unleashing you would have been amazed. It was like thunderbolts scrapping.

Plenty of times I’ve come back to the tree cache only to find my pack has been ripped open and my lunch strew about all over the map…that really sucks cause 1.) no more lunch and 2.) I dint see the things and I come back and look around and theres no sign of it.

We had a problem bear once and Fish and Wildlife crew came in and set up a bear trap. Caught the thing and relocated it. We saw it in this barrel screeching its head off…poor thing.

Woke up in my tent real late once to the sounds of another planter screaming “BEAR BEAR!” It seems this bear had decided to pass out on top of this guys tent. Glad it wasn’t me in there.

But in all my many bear encounters I am glad to say that I have never seen one shot. Never seen anyone use bear spray either. A whistle is your best defence imo.
Old 09-25-2001, 02:41 PM   #16
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
Would it be frightfully inappropriate of me to suggest Dio wear a bear suit to Brighton?
Absynthe wanders off, whistling innocently....

LOL.

Thanks for the suggestion, Absynthe, but I am a married man

Old 09-25-2001, 02:54 PM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL at the thought of an innocent Abysynthe.
ROTFL and nearly cracks a rib at the vision of Dio in a bear suit.

Closest I've been to bears in the wild was on a Girl Scout camping trip. The bears helped themselves to food from our coolers our first night there.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-25-2001, 02:58 PM   #18
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
LOL.

Thanks for the suggestion, Absynthe, but I am a married man

Looks like I'll be making a trip to the local tailor for a bit of nip and tuck on the bear suit... Hmmm, where does one find cheap tickets to England? *surreptitiously tugging at his own wedding band*

------------------

Old 09-25-2001, 03:09 PM   #19
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
LOL at the thought of an innocent Abysynthe.
ROTFL and nearly cracks a rib at the vision of Dio in a bear suit.

Closest I've been to bears in the wild was on a Girl Scout camping trip. The bears helped themselves to food from our coolers our first night there.

Cloudy

Why does everyone doubt my innocence?
Cloudy, dear, weren't you the originator of the "Hose Hunting" thread? I seem to remember some fantastically funny steamfests with you and BK and LadyZekke...
I have to say I miss that stuff in a big way.

------------------

Old 09-25-2001, 03:15 PM   #20
tracey
Manshoon

i haven't got a bear...... but i have got a cockrel. not personally, but it lives in a garden backing onto mine and it crows with the old cock a doodle doo crap every sodding morning morning at daybreak. oh deep, deep joy.

is it any wonder i have lots and lots of pillows.

flojtsdale does actually have quite a brummy accent - someone should telephone her and giggle. 'j'wanna cup a tay, bab?' terribly difficult to translate without recourse to a phonetic alphabet! i of course, was born with a plum betwixt my cupid bow lips and speak beautifully, you'd never catch me twiddling with dipthongs - oh dear me no!