Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2003, 01:32 PM   #11
Arvon
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Hey now Arvon, don't overreact to what I am sure was meant as a helpful suggestion. Why not start an "Arvon's House of Laughter" or similar based on the idea of Cloudy's Cafe. Everyone needs a good laugh from time to time [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
I hoping to answer all of you who have suggested a single post for a joke thread. As I stated in the original post THIS IS NOT A THREADED BOARD!!!! All answers in a single post are stored sequentially. Thus a response to say joke 1 gets posted after say joke 9. That response would make no sense at all.But you say well you can use the quote option. Yes but doesn't this over load the server and Ziroc's storage. Separate joke mostly minimizes the quotes. Also the responses are together. For those of you who haven't seen a threaded board go to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.tower/home.htm and look at the Tower Tavern. You don't have to be a member, Ann doesn't keep a member list.

For the time being I think it's best to hold off. Maybe later I will start again.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 01-20-2003, 01:40 PM   #12
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, Mouse's suggestion sounded quite good, kinda like CC. That is, if Z thinks it's worth the space. Everyone who has a good joke can post it in there, how's that ? No need anymore to have several threads with jokes on the first page of GD. Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:50 PM   #13
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I'll miss the jokes.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:08 PM   #14
Arvon
Unicorn

Oh they'll be back ...sometimes. And as for a continous thread AKA Cloudy's Cafe...I don't go there 'cause it's too long. Take too much time to follow a single idea.

Old 01-20-2003, 02:25 PM   #15
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Sorry, but threaded boards annoy the piss out of me. It reminds me too much of the outlandish diagraming of possibility paths. Too much linear algebra involved in making sure you've read everything important.

Actually, I'm using a bit of hyperbole here, but I do prefer boards like IWF.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:16 PM   #16
Arvon
Unicorn

Yes but...you can jump in anywhere in the thread and (hopefully ) make sense. That's why I don't think a joke Thread here will be worth a damned

Old 01-20-2003, 03:29 PM   #17
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

To be perfectly fair Arvon, although this isn't a threaded board it does have a quote function. As such if someone wants to post a response to something said 3 or 4 pages ago in a thread then they can do so and quote the post in question. Or they can just say "I like your joke about [fill in joke subject here], it was really cool", and most people would get the message. I also like the jokes from time to time, but I can see why having them in individual threads gets a little bit annoying as it fills up the board. I don't think putting them in one small thread would render it all incomprehensible - JJ managed it! Give it a try! [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 01-20-2003, 04:11 PM   #18
Arvon
Unicorn

Berry the sprout...Yor statement is interesting. I think I addresses that above, but to recap. If I were to use the quote of your post above for instance that material would be stored twice. (That is unless there is some sort of compression.) Ziroc is already complaining about sig longer than 3 lines. The quote option is good for short threads where one want a specific reference. I don't think so in a joke thread. IMHO

Old 01-20-2003, 04:22 PM   #19
Melusine
Dracolisk

Uh, maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but the responses to your joke threads are pretty much along these lines all the time:

"ROFL! Good one Arvon"

"LOL LOL"

"That was funny"

Sounds to me you don't actually miss out that much if you don't know exactly which joke a certain reply is referring to.
Besides, I thought the idea was that you wanted to post jokes, not read one-line relies to jokes. If you put all of your jokes into one thread, we don't have to make "LOL LOL" posts in the several joke threads usually found on the first page, and wouldn't THAT save server space as well??
So hey, how about a happy middle - you start a joke thread every week and put all jokes in there that you were going to post anyway that week. It sure would be less cluttered.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:31 PM   #20
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Don't hold back with the quote feature. It only become a problem when someone quote a quoted quote that was also quoted before that, making a big quote pyramid.

As long as there is only 1 or two quotes inside a quote, it's no probmlem.