Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4361791.stm

This girl has been excluded from her school for wearing braids, yet two students from ethnic minorities are allowed to wear them. She thinks it is unfair that the hairstyle is classed as "extreme" by the school on her head, yet not on theirs.

She claims that the school's behaviour is racist and it should be one law for everyone.

Also from a Guardian article:

Quote:
"Olivia asked why and [the headteacher] replied 'it's not your culture'.
Braids are part of black people's culture...?

My view - its stupid decisions like this that create half of the tensions between communities. Either the hairstyle breaches school rules or it doesn't...if it does, then all three pupils should be suspended.

[ 03-18-2005, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I agree. Either they conform to permit all students to be allowed to wear braids as they choose, or no child shall wear them regardless of race or culture. To allow one culture a right that is denied to others of a different culture is called something...but I don't know if its necessarily racism. Whatever its title however, treating all students equal should be the goal.

Good topic man! But its pretty much cut and dry from what I see. I don't think anyone would dispute the sillyness of it.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

I don't know about racism, but it sounds like political correctness at it's worst. Whomever made the school rules probably don't like hairstyles like this but allow black students to wear them in fear of being seen as racist otherwise.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
Lucern
Quintesson

Well, it is racist to assume that you know someone's culture based upon their physical appearance, if that's what happened. It's also silly to assume that you would know someone's culture anyway and would make decisions based on that.

I'm doubting that the school has some sort of cultural acceptance guidelines. This sounds more like arbitrarily dictating what students can do, and having an apparent double-standard thrown in the teacher's face.

[ 03-18-2005, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Lucern ]
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

I believe I read a while ago about a man who filed a complaint because he can't have his hair long in the army but the women could. A bit of similarity here.
armageddon272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:50 PM   #6
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Racist alert phrase: "I'm not a racist but..."
Old 03-18-2005, 08:56 PM   #7
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by armageddon272:
I believe I read a while ago about a man who filed a complaint because he can't have his hair long in the army but the women could. A bit of similarity here.
The women have to keep their hair tied back VERY close to the skull so the helmet and respirators are still able to fit. Similarly, men have to shave every day so the respirator keeps a tight fit to the face in case of NBC attack.

The Army demands high standards of presentation and all male recruits are required to visit the hairdressers on a regular basis to keep themselves presentable. I've known people to be beasted for not having haircuts before inspections (all part of the fun in the Army ).

Now, it is compulsory for male recruits to have a haircut during training (whether you've just had it cut before training or not... shared experience = tighter teamwork). It is also compulsory for them to keep themselves smart and presentable. This means that a male soldier CANNOT grow his hair long whilst serving in the UK Armed forces (some exceptions for Int Corps and special forces) without looking 'scruffy' as the hair grows. The rule that you must be smart and presentable at all times is the official explaination for why it cannot be done.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #8
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I agree. Either they conform to permit all students to be allowed to wear braids as they choose, or no child shall wear them regardless of race or culture. To allow one culture a right that is denied to others of a different culture is called something...but I don't know if its necessarily racism. Whatever its title however, treating all students equal should be the goal.

Good topic man! But its pretty much cut and dry from what I see. I don't think anyone would dispute the sillyness of it.
It may not necessarily be racism (or reverse-racism, in this case), but it is definitely discrimination. Enforcing the rule differently for different students clearly fits the definition of discrimination, IMHO. I support the girl and her parents for refusing to comply and fighting the decision that has been made against her.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:29 AM   #9
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek:

I support the girl and her parents for refusing to comply and fighting the decision that has been made against her.
I'm not so sure. There was a similar situation in a school in Estonia. As I recall, the school threatened to expel the girl if she didn't change her hairstyle. The girl decided it was best to change schools.

There weren't any blacks in the school and that school's rules were very strict with such things(no short skirts, no coloured hair and such - prestigious school, go figure) but still.

Personally, I can't find much of a point in resisting such things. It doesn't make any difference. Couldn't she just change her hairstyle and get it over with? Besides, it doesn't look that good on her. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 03-19-2005, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: uss ]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 02:40 PM   #10
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
quote:
Originally posted by Cerek:
I support the girl and her parents for refusing to comply and fighting the decision that has been made against her.
I'm not so sure. There was a similar situation in a school in Estonia. As I recall, the school threatened to expel the girl if she didn't change her hairstyle. The girl decided it was best to change schools.

There weren't any blacks in the school and that school's rules were very strict with such things(no short skirts, no coloured hair and such - prestigious school, go figure) but still.

Personally, I can't find much of a point in resisting such things. It doesn't make any difference. Couldn't she just change her hairstyle and get it over with? Besides, it doesn't look that good on her. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Fighting and/or resisting the decision made is a matter of principle, uss. If she were the ONLY girl wearing braids at school, then I would support the school for enforcing their rule equally to ALL students. But the school is NOT enforcing their rule equally. Braids or "extreme hairstyles" are against the rules, UNLESS you happen to be a certain race or from a particular culture. That is not enforcing the rules equally or fairly, and that type of discrimination should be fought and resisted.

In the example you gave, even though the rules were very strict, it does sound as if they were applied equally to ALL students. Some students may disagree with the rules, but as long as the rules apply equally to all students - with no exceptions - then the school IS being fair in their policy..and it probably WAS best for the girl to switch to another school that would allow her hairstyle.