Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
manikus
Jack Burton

Light Bulb DC themed design contest

Hey folks, we're going to have an official DC themed design contest. The winning design will be included in the default package as the official Dungeon Craft design.
The rules are pretty straight-forward.
1. Must use default art, but may add your own art as needed (that would be the themed part)
2. Must be in a fantasy setting. You may choose to set it in a Dungeons & Dragons world, but you don't have to.
3. Must make use of at least one of each of the following events, in whatever form the author thinks is applicable: text statement, shop, temple, transfer (stairs, teleporter, or transfer module), combat, encounter, logic block, tavern, who tries, who pays, training hall, vault, special item, question list, question yes/no...
[at least one of each type would be ideal but not required, though you will find that they all easily fit in most adventures]
4. Anyone may enter, but if you enter, you may not judge the competition. (I believe head judge will be Tarlanon)
5. Don't be offensive, ideally we would like this to be playable for ages 13 and up.

Now, we just need to pick the theme. Some possible ideas are sewer, underground, the bandit's lair, castle, arctic, your-idea-here...

Please give me whatever feedback you can and as soon as I get enough, or enough time passes which ever happens first and both are totally at my discretion, I will pick the theme and we'll be off in running.

The winning design will most likely be in release 0.915, as there is not enough time to get it ready for 0.914.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Default Re: DC themed design contest

To be honest, I do not like the 1st rule, because my own art looks very different from the default... However, this may force me to do some "default-art-compatible" additional artwork. May be good for the community...
I like all other rules.

Concerning the theme: Themes like sewer, forest, mountain etc. would force all partipiciants to create graphics for these themes. Thus I would prefer them to themes like underground or city. The latter could be done with the artwork that is already available.
Dinonykos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
manikus
Jack Burton

I didn't think you'd like the first rule. But, we have to include it because this will be the official DC design, and the official design should probably include the official artwork. Now, with that being said, I like the idea of different styles of art being used in DC. Some people would just opt to use whatever and not worry about if it goes together or not, but I don't think that applies to you (or me). Another group of people will decide not to participate in the contest, but a third group will figure out a "locigal" reason for why there aer multiple styles of artwork. A couple of things spring to mind, but I won't share those since it would mean giving away the "gimmick" (I would be happy to share them with you privately though); instead I'll give an example- Harri Polsa in one of his DC designs uses black and white art to simulate virtual reality and differentiate between it and regular game play.

So, your vote is for one of the broader categories such as underground or city. I'm with you on this, for the reasons you list. I am leaning towards underground.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikus View Post
1. Must use default art, but may add your own art as needed (that would be the themed part)
2. Must be in a fantasy setting. You may choose to set it in a Dungeons & Dragons world, but you don't have to.
3. Must make use of at least one of each of the following events, in whatever form the author thinks is applicable: text statement, shop, temple, transfer (stairs, teleporter, or transfer module), combat, encounter, logic block, tavern, who tries, who pays, training hall, vault, special item, question list, question yes/no...
[at least one of each type would be ideal but not required, though you will find that they all easily fit in most adventures]
4. Anyone may enter, but if you enter, you may not judge the competition. (I believe head judge will be Tarlanon)
5. Don't be offensive, ideally we would like this to be playable for ages 13 and up.
Let me add another one-
6. Artwork used that is not part of the default art base must be original or explicitly allowed for use. In this case, explicit means that you either have personal permission from the artist, or a published statement that says the art may be used, eg. art released under GPL. Just finding some art on a website is not good enough. This is for the official DC design, so we don't want any future issues over copyright.

There are many sites out there with usable art for those of you that don't plan on creating your own. Do a google search for art communities OR open source art.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:57 AM   #5
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Perhaps I caused a misunderstanding with my last post. To put that clear, I would suggest that the theme should include some aspects that "force" the participants to be a little bit creative and create at least some new graphics. For example, in my opinion there is a lack of convincing "forest walls" right now. Thus, if the theme included a forest, some participants would perhaps consider to create a new forest wall.

Hmm, what about a theme like: "a village at the outskirts of the woods" ?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikus View Post
A couple of things spring to mind, but I won't share those since it would mean giving away the "gimmick" (I would be happy to share them with you privately though); instead I'll give an example- Harri Polsa in one of his DC designs uses black and white art to simulate virtual reality and differentiate between it and regular game play.
Well, I could do something like "Who framed Roger Rabit" to combine the default style with the comic style I normaly use...
However, I guess depending on the theme I will create some graphics (walls, sprites etc.) that are compatible with the default artwork. The default artwork itself does certainly not look very consistent in its style.

By the way, I have also thought about a project in which all the art looks like drawn with a pencil.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
manikus
Jack Burton

Hmm, just re-read your first post. I certainly did misunderstand. That's no surprise, though, I go around misunderstanding things all the time.

So, if you had to pick the theme right now while reading this, what would it be? (Mind you, there is a good chance that it will be whatever you pick. )

As to the mish-mosh of art styles, well there is my style and there is not-my-style. Ziroc (who was doing it) and I have different ideas. But, his work is so good that I didn't want to stop using it as the official art. Instead, I've just been trying to fill in the gaps. Eventually, I would like to have enough additional art available that new designers had a choice in whatever area they needed art. Actually, if you consider in the unofficial sites- Ironworks, Steve McDonald's site, Kaltusara's site and my own - there is already that choice. Though, we are lacking a bit on outdoor walls and combat wildernesses...