Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2003, 06:14 PM   #91
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
China's navy performs lots of manuevers in the waters between China and Taiwan just to keep us reminded.
On the contrary, the manuevres remind us that the two are very much at odds and could go to war again.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 02-21-2003, 07:52 AM   #92
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Within Australia, Arnhemland is for all intents and purposes an independent nation. Certainly it is soveriegn in most areas. Yet it is part of the State of the Northern Territory, which is part of the federation that is Australia which is part of the British Commonwealth.
Small correction here Hugh. The word 'British' was dropped years ago. It's just 'The Commonwealth' now.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 02-21-2003, 08:25 AM   #93
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Quote:

Within Australia, Arnhemland is for all intents and purposes an independent nation. Certainly it is soveriegn in most areas. Yet it is part of the State of the Northern Territory, which is part of the federation that is Australia which is part of the British Commonwealth.
Small correction here Hugh. The word 'British' was dropped years ago. It's just 'The Commonwealth' now.[/QUOTE]And another - when did the Northern Territory achieve full statehood?

You are having a bad run tonight Hugh - have you been away from home too long, or perhaps playing with lectricity again .
Old 02-21-2003, 08:31 AM   #94
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Actually, I have always made a distinction between nations and states. I'm not sure just how well this accords with dictionary definitions, but for myself, these are workable definitions:-

A nation is a group of people who share a similar ethnic or cultural commonalities that allow them to identify themselves and be recognised by others as a separate social group regardless of geographic location or political boundaries.

A state is a geopolitical area defined and accepted by it's inhabitants and recognised as sovereign by the majority of the international community.

Thus, the Sioux Nation can exist independently of a Sioux state and it is valid to talk of widely dispersed groups such as the Romany as a nation. States on the other hand are what you find by looking at maps and commonly contain a mixture of ethnic and cultural minorities.

Just occasionally, you come across examples of a nation-state where the two ideas converge. For example, at its foundation, Israel was an attempt to form a Jewish state for the Jewish nation.

I don't claim the above covers all the subtleties and nuances of the subject, but it works for me

[ 02-21-2003, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Mouse ]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 02-21-2003, 01:25 PM   #95
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
C'mon Charles... That's St. Paddys Irish flag. From the days of "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland".
I was wondering where the red x on the union flag came from...
Old 02-21-2003, 03:19 PM   #96
Charlie
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
I was wondering where the red x on the union flag came from...
It's not a red X, it's a red cross.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 02-21-2003, 03:39 PM   #97
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I just re-read the UN Charter and it interestingly does not define "state" though the term is used a lot in it.

But, the generally-accepted wisdom is that a state is its own sovereign. Massachussetts is not a state because it is not sovereign - being answerable to the U.S.A. How is this different than Tiawan, Yorick? I know Taiwan wants autonomy, but I haven't heard it declare itself an independent sovereign. Maybe you could do it for them.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:57 AM   #98
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Quote:

Small correction here Hugh. The word 'British' was dropped years ago. It's just 'The Commonwealth' now.[/QUOTE]I was using the word 'British' to distinguish the British Commonwealth from the "Commonwealth of Australia" as it is officially known.

Old 02-22-2003, 05:04 AM   #99
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
when did the Northern Territory achieve full statehood?
Since 1978 when the Australian parliament passed the "Northern Territory self government act" and a legislative assembly was created. It is a functioning state in all ways but official name Davros. I'm calling a spade a spade.

Old 02-22-2003, 05:20 AM   #100
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Massachussetts is not a state because it is not sovereign - being answerable to the U.S.A. How is this different than Tiawan, Yorick? I know Taiwan wants autonomy, but I haven't heard it declare itself an independent sovereign. Maybe you could do it for them.
How is Massachussetts different from Taiwan????? Let me count the ways.

Are you being serious Timber or are you truly unaware of the Taiwanese situation?

1.Taxes. No Taxes collected in Taiwan go to China.

2.Government. The Chinese federal government has no authority in Taiwan, no beaurocratic presence, no mandate and no way to impliment any law or desire China has for Taiwan.

3.Ecomomy. The economy of Taiwan is totally separate from Chinas. One is free market capitalist, the other nominally communist.

4.Currency. The American dollar is worth 35.45 Taiwanese dollars as of March 2003. However 1 US dollar is worth 8.28 Chinese Yuans.

The last I checked Massachussetts had the American dollar as it's currency, not it's own. It also has members in the US senate and is connected economically, legally and politically.

Taiwan HAS autonomy. They are not fighting for it. Taiwan IS an independent state and is dealt with in trade arrangements as such. The hullabaloo over not recognising that officially is a load of bollocks pure and simple. Gutless pandering to a bully on the behalf of western governments.

They say one thing and do the complete opposite.