Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2004, 12:50 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Light Bulb

Quote:
From the New Zealand Herald (www.nzherald.co.nz):
Israel breached NZ's sovereignty and international law, says PM
6.30pm
Israel breached New Zealand's sovereignty and international law when two of its agents attempted to fraudulently obtain a passport, Prime Minister Helen Clark said tonight.
The Prime Minister announced a virtual suspension of diplomatic relations with Israel after Uriel Zoshe Kelman and Eli Cara were each sentenced to six months jail in the High Court at Auckland.
They had pleaded guilty to charges, including fraudulently attempting to obtain a New Zealand passport and participating in an organised crime group to obtain a false passport.
Helen Clark said in a statement there were "very strong reasons" to believe the two men were acting on behalf of Israel's intelligence services.
"The New Zealand Government views the act carried out by the Israeli intelligence agents as not only utterly unacceptable but also a breach of New Zealand sovereignty and international law."
She said the case involved far more than simply criminal behaviour by two individuals.
"The Israeli agents attempted to demean the integrity of the New Zealand passport system and could have created considerable difficulties for New Zealanders presenting their passports overseas in future," she said.
"New Zealand condemns without reservation these actions by agencies of the Israeli Government.
"The Israeli Government was asked for an explanation and an apology three months ago. Neither has been received."
Helen Clark said that as a result, the following measures had been implemented:
* New Zealand was suspending high-level visits from and to Israel;
* Approval for appointment of the new Israeli ambassador would be delayed and accreditation visits to Israel suspended in the meantime;
* Any approach by Israel for its head of state, President Katsov, to visit New Zealand in August, in association with a proposed visit to Australia, would be declined;
* Israelis visiting New Zealand in any official government capacity would be required to apply for visas;
* Foreign Ministry consultations with Israel, due later this year, would be suspended.
Helen Clark said no approach by Israel to intervene in the sentences imposed on the two men would be entertained.
"At the end of their sentences the normal process regarding deportation will apply," she said.
"This type of behaviour is unacceptable internationally by any country. It is a sorry indictment of Israel that it has again taken such actions against a country with which it has friendly relations."
Helen Clark said it was not the first time Israel had sought fraudulently to obtain passports from another country.
"Israeli agents caught in an unsuccessful assassination attempt in Jordan in 1997 were found to be carrying fraudulent Canadian passports," she said.
"While we regret the need for it, New Zealand has no option but to take the actions that it has in response to a deliberate breach of its sovereignty."
- NZPA
Source: www.nzherald.co.nz

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:53 PM   #2
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

[img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]

Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidMo ssad.

Btw, how do they know that they work for the agency?

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:59 PM   #3
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

wow, even when iran took those brittish guys captive, britain didnt cut all relations... and they even KNEW FOR SURE it was iran.

now, new zeland SUSPECTS that MAYBE the guys were israeli agents, and they cut of all diplomatic relations... i thought america was supposed to be the unstable one in the world eye?
Old 07-15-2004, 01:05 PM   #4
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by promethius9594:
now, new zeland SUSPECTS that MAYBE the guys were israeli agents, and they cut of all diplomatic relations... i thought america was supposed to be the unstable one in the world eye?
I suspect, promethius, that the NZ govt. sorts have many more proofs than they let on for the papers. Could they be leaving the Israelis a face-saving way out?

Well, the Mossad always was a bunch of cowboys...

... in my military history class someone asked why the United States never did assassinations anymore, and the Colonel teaching the class said, "That's what the Israelis are for."

*ducks tomato*
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:05 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Mossad rocks. Cohones mass grande. They are what we can only wish the CIA was. Why we ever got out of the assasination business is beyond me, it's often the quickest means to an end. Of course, with over a dozen failed attempts at Castro, I guess the CIA just couldn't be trusted to do it competently.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:45 PM   #6
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Mossad indeed rocks, (and i threw on you aleph also a piano and a fireball [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) But sometimes his mistakes are so plain stuuuuupid.

Again, the question of identification arises. How they know? Could be just a pair of criminals.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:47 PM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

But that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms. If you assassinate a country's leader, they are "justified" in assassinating yours. I think the original prohibition on the CIA was to protect the US president from reprisals. Now if a country's leader ordered the assassination of the US prez, I'm sure the successors would take off the gloves.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:29 PM   #8
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Baron:

Again, the question of identification arises. How they know? Could be just a pair of criminals.
Well, I've heard Mossad mentioned in other news sources as well, so I'm pretty sure that New Zealand is certain they were Mossad agents. Otherwise they wouldn't break diplomatic relations with Israel.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:14 PM   #9
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Also, just from having listened to Prime Minister Helen Clark and Foreign Affairs minister Phil Goff's statements regarding Israeli 'policies' over the years I get the impression that 'our' government's sympathies tend to be somewhat pro-Palestine. If Israel ever screws up in our shores, the goverment will probably want to come down reasonably strictly.

Still, they only recieved six months jail time and a $50,000NZ fine each, which they shall pay to the cerebral palsy foundation (the guy who's passport they were trying to swipe is a cerebral palsy sufferer). Passport fraud caries a five year maximum sentence, so it could have been alot worse for these two men.

[ 07-15-2004, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 07-15-2004, 06:17 PM   #10
Davros
Takhisis Follower

The 3 month silence of the Israeli government appears to be deafening. I am sure if it was a simple case of not being Mossad they would have been quick to come forawrd and say so. One wonders if they are Mossad what they are doing in that part of the world? Perhaps they are out to spy on NZ's world champion netball team .