Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2002, 02:53 AM   #1
Celelen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi!
I play the German language version of the game, and I happen to carry a sword which is +3 for shapeshifters (which I think is the correct translation). What on earth is a shapeshifter? [img]redface.gif[/img]
Celelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 03:17 AM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Pretty much any creature that can change form.

Examples:

Werewolf
Wolfwere
Rakshasa

The sword will give a +3 to hit on these types of creatures.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 03:19 AM   #3
whacky
Emerald Dragon

A shapeshifter is a creature that can change its physical form from one to another like rakhshasas. Its usually done to deceive you. Though i never found any use for that sword, there are much better out there.

[ 07-19-2002, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: whacky ]
whacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 12:54 PM   #4
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

it also includes dopplegangers (don't know if they're in SoA or just BG1) and high (7+) lvl druids/mages that can alter their form (although mages only count when they are shifted into another form (polymorph self, shapechange, etc)
Old 07-19-2002, 01:45 PM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
it also includes dopplegangers (don't know if they're in SoA or just BG1) and high (7+) lvl druids/mages that can alter their form (although mages only count when they are shifted into another form (polymorph self, shapechange, etc)
There's one doppelganger in Irenicus' Dungeon in Chapter 1, but obviously you get the sword far too late for that!

I agree that the sword really isn't worth it. Get the Blade of Roses instead if you want a longsword; it's +3 against everything!

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 01:51 PM   #6
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I think the main reason that sword is in the game in the first place is that you get it in BGI, and as it came in very handy then;it would be logical that you had it with you when you were captured by Irenicus (BG1, for those of you who don't know, is just swimming with doppelgangers, werewolves, wolfweres, and druids.) Another item like that is the Amulet of Metaspell Influence, though its usefulness is quickly replaced by stronger items later in the game.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 02:01 PM   #7
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
You will come across a doppelganger party one of the last times you travel between the areas in SoA. They look like common folks, but will attack you.
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 02:07 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
You will come across a doppelganger party one of the last times you travel between the areas in SoA. They look like common folks, but will attack you.
Yeah, but by the time that happens, your party will be celestially powerful, making the weapon look like a toothpick... ...

On the other hand... it is one of the few decent Bastard Swords that you can find in Chap2-3. If you think good Katanas are hard to come by early in this game... try getting a good Bastard Sword. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

~~ADD] Zzzz... time for me to go to sleep.

[ 07-19-2002, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote