Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-20-2001, 11:24 PM   #1
SecretMaster
Apophis

I'm currently playing as a lawful evil assassin, and well, they rock. I was in the shadows, and with there x7 backstab, I did freakin 116 damage, on a backstab critical hit!!!!!!! Raw power!!!!! NOt to mention that there coating of poison kicks @$$. But the points to distribute is way down there, but you can't get anything. I also like the bounty hunter, awesome traps.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:05 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I got a solo Assassin running on Insane Difficulty at the moment, so far life has been easy.
Old 11-21-2001, 06:58 AM   #3
Kingenigma
The Magister

Don't they have only 15% per lvl up? I hate that about Assasin...
Old 11-21-2001, 07:53 AM   #4
Archon Devangilous
The Magister

long live artemis

thief of shadows
Old 11-21-2001, 12:02 PM   #5
Kaleban
Manshoon

There's a point at which Thief skills really don't get any better, and that's around 150%, as the penalties in the game usually add up to no more than 65%, so you'll still have an effective rating of about 85%.

Plus, some of his skills are useless. Detect Illusion? I've found it quite useless, and some people have reported a 200% DI not puuling people out of Invisibility, so assign points here at your own risk. Set Traps? You get these as abilities, so I'm not sure on the interaction between the Set Traps skill percentage and the actual Set Traps ability. Move Silently is questionable as well, I don't think the game checks for this, as an Invisible Wizard cannot be heard either, so MS may be useless. Pretty much the only skills you need to worry about are Hide in Shadows, Pick Locks, Find Traps, and Pick Pockets. And at even 15% per level, with a high dexterity and other bonuses (add in equipment and potions of Master Thievery) you don't really need to worry about your primary skills as you'll have enough points to distribute.

Remember, an Assassin is all about the most efficient method of killing, and they do well at it. If my analysis above is flawed or incorrect, feel free to correct me.
Old 11-21-2001, 01:52 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Kaleban:
Plus, some of his skills are useless. Detect Illusion? I've found it quite useless, and some people have reported a 200% DI not puuling people out of Invisibility, so assign points here at your own risk. Set Traps? You get these as abilities, so I'm not sure on the interaction between the Set Traps skill percentage and the actual Set Traps ability. Move Silently is questionable as well, I don't think the game checks for this, as an Invisible Wizard cannot be heard either, so MS may be useless. Pretty much the only skills you need to worry about are Hide in Shadows, Pick Locks, Find Traps, and Pick Pockets. And at even 15% per level, with a high dexterity and other bonuses (add in equipment and potions of Master Thievery) you don't really need to worry about your primary skills as you'll have enough points to distribute.

Remember, an Assassin is all about the most efficient method of killing, and they do well at it. If my analysis above is flawed or incorrect, feel free to correct me.

Actually detect illusion is brilliant. From 90 points on it's like true sight. Get's rid of heaps of illusions. 250 alerted me to this.

Also points in traps means less chance of the trap not setting properly. (failing)

I think you'll find move silently lessens the likelyhood of mages hearing you and casting true sight to dispel the illusion. It seemed to be so for me.

I've been playing a game with a Bounty Hunter, Assassin, Swashbuckler, Dwarven Fighter/Thief, Gnome Illusionist thief and Jester.

Was going a treat before I got distracted with a solo Sorcorer game.

ANyhow the 15% percent thing is a bit wierd. You get 15 POINTS per level. A Bounty Hunter gets 20 points and a Swashbuckler/True class gets 25 points. Not that big a disadvantage really, considering the aforementioned backstab.

I gave my Assassin Celestial Fury.

Oooohh yeah. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 11-21-2001, 01:55 PM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Kaleban:
There's a point at which Thief skills really don't get any better, and that's around 150%, as the penalties in the game usually add up to no more than 65%, so you'll still have an effective rating of about 85%.

Actually the difference between having 150 pickpockets and 250 pickpockets is quite astounding. Zero failure. Except when he put on the gloves of pickpocketing, which though it was then at 270, failed every time.

Off they went.

Old 11-21-2001, 10:36 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Let's see...

My solo Elf Assassin is now level 15, and she has the following,

Lockpick: 100%
Detect/Disarm Traps: 100%
Hide in Shadow: 105%
Move Silently: 110%
Detect Illusion: 0%
Set Traps: 55%
Pickpocket: 55%

I had the following equipment to boost the stats,

Mercykiller Ring
Boots of Stealth
Gloves of Pickpocketing

Currently trying to boost Set Traps to 100%, then I will boost HiS and MS to base 100%, so that I can change equipment.
Old 11-22-2001, 01:46 AM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

then I will boost HiS and MS to base 100%, so that I can change equipment.

Ah-ha...

Old 11-22-2001, 10:46 PM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Ah-ha...

Ah-ha?