Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2002, 10:16 PM   #1
otter
Elminster

(for avid skill-builders)
Practising magic need not be limited to cast-anytime party-buffs-- just hit the combat button anytime and you can cast combat-only buffs eg. bless, dracon breath, guardian angel, razor cloak, etc.
Also good for practise as cast-anytime spells: Sonic boom and hypnotic lure (the latter drives Fire right through the roof.)
This also works for Gadgeteers' Engineering and Bards' Music.

[ 04-28-2002, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: otter ]
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 09:10 PM   #2
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

cool.
was kinda wondering about that...
some spells work, others, like shrill noise, dont.
care to compile a list?
Old 04-29-2002, 11:40 PM   #3
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Two very good ones that you'd use anyway are stamina and rest all. If you need them outside of combat, enter combat and then cast them or they will have no chance to raise magic skills; if you do them in combat they will.
Old 04-30-2002, 12:43 AM   #4
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

heh. wondered about that too.
does the casting of stamina and healing spells on fully healed characters do anything stat wise? evidence ive collected suggests unfortunately no.
Old 05-11-2002, 08:04 PM   #5
Dilbert
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I don't think these spells work for skill if the charakter is already at fullhealth or stamina , like if you have already armorplate or something like that and you speak another it wont improve your skill

This sometimes sucks like my monk stillcan only cast cameleon on earth realm
but my party got enough skill indevine until lvl 5 was reached while they had al lot to heal at first [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 10:05 PM   #6
otter
Elminster

That is correct. If the spell has no effect because it was meant to counter something not there, then you get no credit. That's why they're not on my list. You can't cast anything that needs a target, either (no offensive). This only works for those in the post, and similar: El. Shield, Soul Shield, Haste, Super, Body o'Stone.
The Portals also zoom your realm and book like crazy, if they're not already max'd by the time you get them.
Lava Lamp gets a bunch of Engineering, you can throw lures until you pass out; Stam comes back so fast, it's grand.
Old 05-12-2002, 02:31 PM   #7
otter
Elminster

Here's a real fun trick you can do with Portals:
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
I just went through all 3 Retros nearly simultaneously. As soon as everybody got the Portal spells, I Set one at the mana-hex fountain in Trynnton, and one each at the start of the three Retro's. Every few steps, i Set again, and Returned to one of the other Retros, and back to the fountain as needed. I didn't need the Portal book there, ironically, i got all i needed at Ferro's...
Old 05-12-2002, 05:13 PM   #8
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes, setting a portal in Trynton is really a nice trick. I tried that my last game. Whenever you get short of mana, just set a portal, then portal to Trynton to get it back. Whenever you get hexed, just cast some remove curse, and portal yourself back to where you were. I very rarely used potions after I found that out.