Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2002, 11:12 AM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Was reading up on this last night, it looks very promising. The storyline will have multiple branches with a whole host of non-violent and non-lethal ways of achieving goals. Giving players the moral and ethical choice of not having to kill everything in sight [img]smile.gif[/img]
Also the AI is going to get a serious boast, making the npc's much more environmentally aware, so besure to not shoot those exploding barrels! lol.

I am in the middle of playing the original Deus Ex right now and loving it. An incredable game, can't wait for sequel.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:36 AM   #2
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

OH good. I really enjoyed deus ex. heheheh, the sheild and the healing ability were favs. Do u still play as the same guy? JC denton was his name wasnt it? hmm, Ive been thinking, do you think that the "JC" stood for "Jesus Christ"... wouldnt put it past them with a name like "Dues Ex" which means "God" something in latin. heheh. Helous. hahah! how could they continue from *that*? Or yes well. anyway, good to hear it'll be out soon.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 10:41 AM   #3
Rokenn
Galvatron

I though the same thing (JC = Jesus Chris). Esp with his brother being named Paul (one of the Apostels). If I remember correctly the full term is Deus Ex Machina, which means God from the Machine or something like that.

Not sure if JC is back or not for the sequel.
Old 08-03-2002, 06:20 AM   #4
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I also like Deus Ex i have palyed it trough 10 times i thnk lol. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Do knove when it will be released?
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 09:10 AM   #5
Grimslade
Drow Warrior

I liked the game, but was it really the classic as everyone made it out to be? Reviewers are saying that it has changed the gaming industry, and changed the way people play games.

Eh? What?

What else...the game was supposed to redefine "non-linearity." But there was a set storyline in the game (with the exception of multiple endings), and if you didn't follow the story, well, you din't have much chance of surviving. You can personalise JC, and make him proficient in skills of your choosing, but so what? It's not as if this hasn't been done before.

Plus, the action in the game sucked big time. I know it's not an action game in the vein of Serious Sam, but it is a FPS, and you have guns to shoot people with. But the action was nowhere near as fun as other FPS games, the enemy AI was nothing special, and headshots were inconsistent- sometims they worked, and sometimes they didn't. And I didn't like the triangular shards of blood either.

Lots of the maps were very basic too. Check out the map early in the game, where you step off a boat into what you are told is a city but looks nothing like it. What you see is a flat, boring attempt, with buildings and structures seemingly placed at random.

Look, I liked the game. I liked the story, the RPG elements and the stealth mode, but I can't help but scoff when reveiwers say how this game revolutionised gaming. Pu-leeeeze!
Grimslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 12:49 AM   #6
Angelouss
Dungeon Master

dues ex machina means god from a machine which is actually a literary term mostly used by ancient greek playwrights. basically it's in the play it looks like things can't get any worse so the playwright inserts a god who fixes everthing and everybody lives happily ever after. this of course has multiple meanings when ur talking bout the game. one jc comes along and pretty much solves the problems(at least the ones caused by mj-12) the other promient meaning is **********spoiler***************

JC comes from a machine u find that out near the end of the game. and one of the possible endings is to become a god almost. also the ai is a machine that becomes a god like figure.

**************end spoiler****************
as for JC it's fairly obvious that your not suppose to be Jesus,u can kill a hell of alot of people,(I played once trying to save as many as i could but u have to break out the guns cause of lack of ammo if nothing else also i always save Paul and its proably not impossible but i could save him without resorting to lots of grenades and an assualt rifle) but the connection was intentional u are the futures savour whether they know it or not and theres a possiblity of ur acession. i'm sure the paul connection was intentional too. there is very little that wasn't

intresting side note
there seems to be a connection to between dues ex and rocky horror picture show
the name of the sword
sonic tranducers
and one other thing i can't remember appear in both
when warren spector was asked to comment he said he didn't know anything about it but would not be surprised to find out if a staff member had done it intenionally. he qouted it as a testament to the growing size of game devolpment studios and seemed to find it quite amusing
Old 08-20-2002, 01:25 AM   #7
Angelouss
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
I though the same thing (JC = Jesus Chris). Esp with his brother being named Paul (one of the Apostels). If I remember correctly the full term is Deus Ex Machina, which means God from the Machine or something like that.

Not sure if JC is back or not for the sequel.
you play his brother or his clone(possibly both) i forget exactly. your trying to find him(he's become reclusive) so i imagine he reappears

ps
not paul a new brother
also i think the current realease date isn't set yet but it's expected late(very late) quater 4 of this year or quater 1 of next. it may be delayed though.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:25 AM   #8
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Calaethis Dragonsbane:
Do u still play as the same guy? JC denton was his name wasnt it?
Nope. You play a Alex Denton:
"[...], one of the four lab rats, and "related" to Paul and JC (Alex's name appears in Deus Ex, in Area 51.) Alex was about five years old during the events of the first game and was primarily raised in Chicago. The character is fairly mutable, since the player will be able to dictate gender, skin/hair color, and nanotech enhancements. "

More here: Planet Deus Ex
Old 08-23-2002, 06:11 PM   #9
whacky
Emerald Dragon

I love Deus Ex, i played it a lot and enjoyed it a lot, it was creepy, had awesome music, fabulous and heart winning storyline, i cant wait for Deus Ex 2 to go gold, i'll buy it as soon as it gets out !
whacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 09:01 PM   #10
SecretMaster
Apophis

What is the plot of Deus Ex?? I've heard some cool stuff about it, but whats the main plot.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote