Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2001, 10:51 PM   #1
bstubbs
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have both IWD and HOW installed along with the Lure expansion. I cannot play the game for more than 10 minutes without it locking up. Does anyone else have this problem?
I have a PIII 600, 256mb RAM, GeForce II Ultra (12.40 drivers), Soundblaster Live! (3300WDM drivers), directX 8.0a, Windows ME.
I have tried everything I can think of without luck.
bstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 03:04 AM   #2
muaddib74
Welcomed New User

The same thing has been happening to me as well. I have both Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter and after working fine for 3 months, it started freezing on me. Very frustrating. I was actually thinking of just reformatting the hard drive! (That will show it!) Are any of your other games doing it as well? (I can't play Torment or Diablo II without it freezing up, so I think it's a software problem on my computer. All diagnostic tests show my computer running fine.)
muaddib74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 04:55 AM   #3
bstubbs
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Do you have a Soundblaster Live! or a GeForce 2? I think it is one of those stuffing it up!
I have tried reformatting and starting again several times without luck. I have even used Windows SE instead of ME, but the same crashes occur. It happens to me on Thief 2 and Baldur's Gate 2 as well. I can play other games perfectly though.
I'm sure we can figure this out.
Old 07-15-2001, 05:59 AM   #4
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

Hmm, i've always noticed a certain choppiness on this game for some reason It really shouldn't considering I've got an AMD6-2 550, 290mb ram, ami bios a Soundblaster Live and an 8meg video. Even before the soundblaster, it was choppy. I even disabled the onboard video and got a voodoo4 to see if more video power would crank out the performance. No dice (quake was a dream!). Now, i had heard something about AMD chips and interplay games not going together well. (something about changing CAS 2t, 3t in bios? )
And you say yours freezes a few minutes in? Have you messed with all the graphic settings in the game and it's config page? Maybe it's a Caching issue? Sometimes removing the Override folder prevents crashes(during loads). I wonder if it's something picky about timing; the game is always counting the seconds.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2001, 06:17 PM   #5
muaddib74
Welcomed New User

I seemed to have fixed my problem...for now. After posting, I was inspired to stay up until I figured it out, and at 2 AM I finally did it! Apparently there were problems between my Diamond Viper V550 vid card (It's an older one) and the newer DirectX 7.0. I downloaded a patch for it, and now I can happily say that I am playing HoW full speed with no problem. Keep at it! You'll find out what's causing it! (Heck, if I can, anyone can!!)
muaddib74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2001, 12:35 AM   #6
bstubbs
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the responses. I am happy to hear that you have fixed your problem muaddib74, but I am having less luck. I have tried all the options in the Configuration area, including turning EAX and OpenGL off, but it still locks up.
You know, it seems that it locks up more when I'm creating new characters or going through the information screens (ie. the Inventory screens, Maps etc.)than actually playing the game.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2001, 03:46 PM   #7
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

Hmm, DiretX might be the culpret. I remember BG having trouble with osme versions of DirectX. I'm currently running 7a, but i've heard some bad things about that version. What version DirectX are you guys using? Is 8a any good?
Old 07-16-2001, 04:56 PM   #8
bstubbs
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm using DirectX8.0a, but I have tried DirectX7.0a as well. I can't see any real difference.
Old 07-16-2001, 05:48 PM   #9
Leafy
Zhentarim Guard

i get some lag time on those screens as well. i usually pause before going into inventory screens for that reason. and I try not to move the cursor too much right away when a screen loads (i just give it time to LOAD load just like my windows boot.