Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2002, 06:01 AM   #1
TCorOgre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi, I'm new to the forum so I hope this hasnt been answered yet:

I just finished the Vale quest and so far have gotten every (findable, not bought) item in it and before it (easthaven,cave,pass,pass cave etc.) and I am about to seek out the heart medallion or something ? I know how to get there, that is not the problem, it's my party: Paladin-Human,Fighter-Dwarf,Druid-half elven,Mage-human,Ranger-elven,Theif-human, so far they are pretty good, but I struggled very very much in the Last couple crypts of Vale,and the skel. mages and critters near the spirit warrior were hell; since its early I was thinking of changes, Drop pally? he seems to get beat on alot, and I havent noticed much special about him, is there? the dwarf handles more pain- for another dwarfen fight? Drop Mage and Theif-for a Mage/Thief multi? if I do that, what would replace the theif? I was thinking maybe bard, but they cant fight while useing their song so are they good? or maybe another fighter? I dont know 3 dwarves would be funny..
My other option was restarting... but I have found everything so I kinda want to press onward
Also, what in the 9 Hells do you do with all these gems?!? I know in BGII you used some in item creation, but Cromwell is yet to be spawned in Icewind Dale, so should I sell the bloody things or nay? they currently own 2 of my char's inventory so I 'need' to know, thanks
one more thing, if I make the mage/thief how will I deal with the trolls in the temple? someone said they are there as first sighting? Melf's is a lvl 2 spell...
Last thing, I have gotten 9,000 somethin' gold through the first part with only 2 trips to town (one being to ressurrect) so, should I get that bard's horn? If I make one? I already have a magic short horn, thanks.
I know this is pretty darned long so thanks for helpin!
Old 08-03-2002, 07:22 AM   #2
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Your party seems fine to me. The thief/mage idea isn't bad. What's your thiefs inteligence ? Maybe you can dual class later on. If you would drop one, i would suggest taking a cleric. Bards are only good when you have Heart of winter, and from reading your post, it seems to me, you haven't. Keep the paladin though. Later on, allthough very late in the game, you might just find a very nifty item for that character. They also get some paladin-only dialogues.

The gems are only good for selling.

If memory serves, there are no trolls in that temple complex. You'll find some later on but at that point, you probably have the necessary spells and you'll find enough items to deal with them.

The bards horn ? Isn't that item only ussable by bards ? If you don't have a bard, buying that item is a mistake, otherwise you might aswell but seeing as you don't have one, i would just leave it alone.
Old 08-03-2002, 08:48 AM   #3
Finn an Ruadh
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Greetings!

About your party... Keep the paladin; he/she will be a virtual tank later. The dwarven fighter is truly worth his weight in mithril armor. My best success came with Fighter/Mage multi & Illusionist/Thief multi. The druid isn't great unless you have HoW. The ranger (while a personal favorite) isn't too great until higher levels. Since IWD is combat intensive (read: hack & slash), load up on fighter-types & multi's.
Have a great week!

Finn
Old 08-03-2002, 08:48 PM   #4
TCorOgre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks alot guys, it helps so much to know the Paladin isnt a bad class, and now I can be rid of those awful gems! Thanks again
Old 08-03-2002, 11:01 PM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

As for armor, what do you have the paladin equipped with? Along with the dwarf they should make a formiable killing machine. Also, and as Jr. Jensen pointed out, I'd go with a cleric. Besides the all important healing they are real essential in Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster. Personally, I never go anywhere without a straight cleric in my party. I also have a gnome multiclass cleric/illusionist as one of the best support characters in the game to back him up.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 02:26 AM   #6
TCorOgre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Plate Mail, but it seems his armor class is that of a little lower then my dwarfs (about 2 penalty difference)mayhaps it's my inexperiance wiht paladins that he isnt good, they are a very different class.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:13 AM   #7
Finn an Ruadh
Elite Waterdeep Guard

D'OH!!! I forgot about straight clerics! They're a must! Incredibly useful!
I'm a dumb*ss. Sorry. Yes, armor makes all the difference with your fighters.
Have a good week!

Finn
Old 08-05-2002, 02:37 PM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Finn, glad someone else is a fan of straight clerics! A good straight cleric has some great spells and then can be good in a fight, too. TCor, what is your Paladin's desterity? The higher the better. It really helps to bring down your AC.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 06:42 PM   #9
TCorOgre
Elite Waterdeep Guard

15 dex for paladin and fighter-dwarf's is 17 so I think that explains their 2/3 point armro differance thanks guys!!
Old 08-21-2002, 11:16 AM   #10
ratchild
Manshoon

Definitely want dex at 18 for all characters if you can. it makes the most difference on mages, because they can't wear armor, but an additional 4ac for any character is great. Con isn't so important for non fighter types, as they'll max out bonuses at 16 con.