Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2001, 04:53 PM   #1
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

My mouse works just fine normally, but when I have the game on its erratic and hard to put where you want. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it?
Old 12-15-2001, 05:17 PM   #2
vesselle
Hathor

i have been able to fix it by changing my properties.
for Win 98/ME:
~ r/click on a blank area of your desktop
~ choose properties
~ click settings
~ click lower fight... advanced (did i just say "lower fight"? LOL! lower right is what i meant)
~ click performance tab
~ there's a slider that's moved to the far right
~ sliding it one click to the left will make adjustments for mouse related problems.
~ click apply, then ok and exit

usually clears up all problems with mouse movement in all games for me.

ps: if it still doesn't work, check your graphics card settings. sometimes having AA will do it. if AA is enabled, turn it off. if AA isn't enabled, turn it on.
Old 12-15-2001, 05:30 PM   #3
Vaprakgruumsh
Drizzt Do'Urden

This was happening with my wife's PC when she went to DirectX8.1a... the way I fixed it was running Wiz8 setup again, and putting it on DirectX 6... why this works, who knows, but it has.
Old 12-15-2001, 06:19 PM   #4
vesselle
Hathor

~~LoA~~

another way to fix that (looking thru old posts and testing stuff out)...

if you have your settings on say 1024x768x32, run the WizSetup again and drop them down to 800x600x32. the sloppiness goes away.

i hope you get it cleared up. nothing quite like a drunken, sloppy cursor to cause frustration, eh?
Old 12-15-2001, 07:30 PM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

quote:
Originally posted by vesselle:
~~LoA~~

another way to fix that (looking thru old posts and testing stuff out)...

if you have your settings on say 1024x768x32, run the WizSetup again and drop them down to 800x600x32. the sloppiness goes away.

i hope you get it cleared up. nothing quite like a drunken, sloppy cursor to cause frustration, eh?

You may be right, I do have my settings up in that range. I'll switch that when I'm not so drunk and sloppy. Which is to say tomorrow of course [img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks all for the help!
Old 12-15-2001, 11:51 PM   #6
Morgalas Everhate
Dungeon Master

You could be having a low memory issue, meaning your swap file(virtual memory Win 9x) or page file (Win 2000/XP) is too low and the game gets kinda of choppy. The mouse cursor can seem to pop around a bit with some sluggish moving. Try increasing it a bit or bring down your game resolution a bit like the others have suggested.
Old 01-03-2002, 03:41 PM   #7
Chaosopher
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am SO SO SO glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I have a fresh install of win2k on a box with 384M of ram. My mouse works fine until I start the game. Then it becomes very erratic. Too erratic to play the game in. I do have the latest DirectX installed. I will try some of these tips and let you know if that fixed it.
Chaosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 05:58 PM   #8
Chaosopher
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, I tried reducing the performance bar a notch. Then two notches, then three. I have the latest soundcard and video card drivers. I am running DirectX 8.X (because I've done all the major updates to windows using Windows Update). [As per my previous post, I'm running Win2k, on a P2-450 w/384M of ram. I have a TNT1 card with 16M of ram. I have a sound blaster platinum live 5.1]

So what I did was use wiz8 setup and change the graphic settings to MMX from OpenGL and it's working! O rapture!

At any rate, I hope this advice is helpful to someone else with the same difficulty.
Chaosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 02:12 AM   #9
Goumindong
Manshoon

Truthfully i think the erratic mouse your are seeing is either bad programming, or simply the outdated engine (no offence, the game is great but the engine looks like it was used for kings quest 8)

the problem for me lies when i am using anything but the closed screen. the mouse just isnt responsive. In normal windows or the inventory screen and any other game i play i dont have a problem.

I would have a serious doubt that its my system, seeing as it barrels through other games. I would chance to OGL but for some reason its telling me that no resolution is support in that video mode (when i know it is).

anyway with dx7 (8.1a installed) and no AA or FSAA the mouse laggs.

why? old engine. what can ya do about it... nothing.

maybe its that texture compression is off (causes a problem with Dialbo when off too) but i dont think that that is going to have much of an effect.
Goumindong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 01:14 PM   #10
MagiK

If it was the engine everyone would have the problem, I have absolutely no problem with the mouse or anything else so far in 80+ hours of playing. I have a PIII 1GHz 512M Ram and an older Logitec trackball. Oh the vid card is a GF3 too..at 1600x1200 32bit it runs smooth as a babys bottom. I think it may be the speed of the system boards in question...