Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2001, 11:33 AM   #11
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
If I was in his position I would have done the same thing. Its all nice and easy to say what he COULD have done when your not in his place but it is a spur of the moment decision and I cant say I would have done differently. Actually I have done it before Much to my chagrin when i got a week of school for "physical violence against another student" of course the fact that the guy had been constantly at me for a week to get just that reaction from me was not mentioned.

I'm with you here on this one. There were some instances when I was in school. One in which the very same scenario played out. A girl was baiting me into a fight and threatening me. She confronted me one day and I'd had enough. She was about to beat the "snot" out of me (of course with some of her friends in tow as bullies have a tendency to do). I saw I was in a no-win situation so I punched her dead in the face. I'm not proud that I did it when I look back on it, but I felt at the time I had no other choice. I don't remember getting into any kind of trouble for it, though. The next year (because of this fight and many others), they instituted the "zero-tolerance" rule at school. It then didn't matter WHO hit WHO first - you both got in trouble.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)
Old 09-13-2001, 11:35 AM   #12
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Ouw...Moni, your son was really pissed huh? I mean... I am crippled for the moment, and then you push my crutches.. wow... here's one.. POW! Hehehe

Well that was just a joke, but here's the hitch...

I am planning to actually remove some laws whe I grop up... I mean for people and highways sorta thing... here in the Philippines, you see a no walking sign and people will just walk right through the sign! So, if the person gets accidentally hit, byebye car! So, this is what I am trying to remove and plan in the near future! It is so unfair! So I hope the same applies. Or either, the headmistress should have suspended both if not the guy who instigated it.

------------------

Heya! It's just me, Bahamut!
Old 09-13-2001, 11:41 AM   #13
Redblueflare
Galvatron

All schools are taking up the habit of suspending both people in fights. I don't think it's completely fair, as you have to defend yourself. Talking may help but some people are ignorant, and would rather let their fists tdo the talking. I agree he could've tould the principal, i mean headmistress, but would that have changed anything when the bully came back? Who knows?

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 09-13-2001, 11:43 AM   #14
Moni

Azurewolf and DragonMage,
I was in the same situation in school myself (1975).
The girl picking on me was four inches taller than me and 85 lbs heavier than me.
She attacked me but never hit me once.
She went home with two black eyes full of well deserved tears while all I had to do was comb out a couple of tangles out of my hair.

Paying attention (focus) does have its advantages.
We were both suspended btw but me, not being a fighter and having the guts to take her on got me an ice cream from my dad.

Bahamut,
LOL Yes, he was pissed. I didn't blame him but I could not fight against him getting suspended for it (she was suspended too).

I am not sure I understand that law, but if a person is dumb enough to walk where there is a no walking sign and they get hit, it should be no fault of the driver's thats for sure!

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-13-2001, 11:50 AM   #15
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Both parties being punished is the most stupid thing in this world.

When I was in Middle school, I was standing on some bleachers, in the gym, and a girl came by me and deliberatley pushed me, to where I fell off the bleachers. I did not retaliate, but instead went straight to the bathroom to see if there was any blood. Before I got that far, a teacher grabbed me, and hauled me to the office along with the girl. We both had a three day suspension.

------------------

Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.
Old 09-13-2001, 11:54 AM   #16
Istaron
Banned User

Hell Larry, that is sick. That teachers mind were perverted.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 09-13-2001, 12:05 PM   #17
Moni

Larry,
That was just wrong!
If one party does nothing to hurt the other they should be protected, not condemned!

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Old 09-13-2001, 12:08 PM   #18
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
Larry,
That was just wrong!
If one party does nothing to hurt the other they should be protected, not condemned!
Very true, but how many times do BOTH parties in a domestic dispute get hauled off to jail now when one (usually the female) was only fighting back/defending themselves? (oh no - did I just open up THAT one!)

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)
Old 09-13-2001, 12:13 PM   #19
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Very true, but how many times do BOTH parties in a domestic dispute get hauled off to jail now when one (usually the female) was only fighting back/defending themselves? (oh no - did I just open up THAT one!)

LOL! Yes, I have spent more than one night in jail for having defended myself and on more than one occasion for having NOT!
Domestic violence laws are necessary but at the same time are completely screwed up.

*Quickly closes can of worms*

------------------

Old 09-13-2001, 12:54 PM   #20
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I agree, Larry, that is just sick. I know in the wake of tragedies like Columbine High School, Jonesboro AR, and others, they are cracking down even more so, but undoubtedly your incident occurred way before those. Personally, I think the teacher should have been suspended without pay for making such a crackpot call without investigating the matter further. Same for the admin.

I am so glad I do not go to school in this day and age. Likewise, am I glad I don't have children in school. What must the parents go through?

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 09-13-2001).]