Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2001, 02:53 PM   #61
Aragorn II

Hey guys, i wrote a while back but didnt know what the outcome was so im just gonna repost. i live in the us, east coast. id love to get an mplayer game up on weekends so if youve got space then email me or throw up a reply. like i said before, if you cant fit me in, no worries. -Strider

Old 02-04-2001, 02:53 PM   #62
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi

Had another hour or so's kip. Still don't know if you got my mail Turbovee.
Old 02-04-2001, 03:07 PM   #63
turbovee
Elminster

Charlie: got it

It looks like this should be fairly easy. I'll just go on m-player, create a game, set a password, e-mail to the members who want to join in, and stand by for your arrival in the game. If you want to try for shits and giggles we could try today. It's 12:00 noon here in San Diego, california I need to get your time so I can set up a real game later.
Old 02-04-2001, 03:28 PM   #64
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

hmm... hello all... i seem to be late but...

since a couple of you want to go on mplayer for a game i just wanna tell you some pointers to make it easier for all of ya...i have been to mplayer before and i have been quite fond of it... (but i dont go there anymore since im one busy person)

here are some tips:
1) all of you should have the same version of patches
2) all of your mplayers should be updated everytime you log on or else you cant join
3) tc/ip connection also works wonders (sometimes better than mplayer)
4) your host must have a very fast computer and internet speed capability
5) make sure all your players are honorable and stick to the game (heh i played with nutty friends and we killed everyone in sight... and the game went wild!!!)
6) make sure all your char a legitimate characters...(belive me.. having a god in your game will just make it boring and once your god finds it boring he will do some jokes and make the game go wild.
7) a 6 player game is sometimes not advisable since all of you will get lagged (believe me!!) and the game will slow down... i played a game with 6 other people for 4-5 hrs and all we were able to do is finish chapter 1....
make sure all of you guys have the right time =)
9) if you want a private game make sure to lock the room in mplayer BUT if one of your friends gets dropped out he cant come back in the room and cant rejoin (just a warning)

if you wanna know how the tc/ip game works... it is nearly just the same as mplayer game... but sometimes it saves a little memory so it goes a little faster... all you have to do is to let your host get his tc/ip address in his computer... (to get it you have to go to c:\windows and look for ipconfig.something or winipconfig.something... its one of those two) and let all your other players know about it and logon on that address... its better sometimes than mplayer...

hope this will help your game
Old 02-04-2001, 03:32 PM   #65
Charlie
Lord Ao

Err totally confused now.

Why not just a direct TCP/IP? Apparently this is easier and quicker. I don't understand the M.Player thing or the whats/whys of what I'm attempting to do.
Old 02-04-2001, 03:34 PM   #66
turbovee
Elminster

Zor: can you explain this tc/ip thing to me. I'm not quite sure about it. I'm fairly computer savvy, but there are still many things I have to learn. I was thinking about the NPCs in the game also, if we have more than 3-4 players wont that obstruct some of the NPC quests, by not allowing them to join the party?
Old 02-04-2001, 03:39 PM   #67
Charlie
Lord Ao

To get you IP address - Go

START
RUN
Type in - winipcfg
hit RETURN

your IP address.

Let all people type in hosts IP. This apparently improves performance because the M Player stuff isn't running in the background. Direct host connection effectively cutting out the middle man.
Old 02-04-2001, 03:44 PM   #68
Charlie
Lord Ao

Sorry Turbovee.

I was getting irate opening files and trying to configure things that I don't understand.

I had to call younger brother in who works in the internet industry. Above are his suggestions.

PS. Thanks for advising Zoratorek. That was really nice of you
Old 02-04-2001, 03:46 PM   #69
turbovee
Elminster

Charlie: sounds like a better plan. Would you rather host?, because if you walk me through this IP thing I'll still host. I still need to know what time it is there. Its now 1240 pm here.
Old 02-04-2001, 03:54 PM   #70
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

ARGHHHH! I am totally frustrated here. sniffle...somebody help or say something funny, fast, cuz I am about ready to pull my hair out with this blasted M-Player software...

Uh, hi, I'm back from M-player hell in case anyone wonders

I have dl a lot of software in my time and this site had me so confused as to what was being sent and when and the biggest problem- when it was DONE!

I *think* I got what I need, but as to the BG2 patch it supposedly dl, I dunno.

Anyone want to tell me how I can be sure if it is here? What's it called, where it would be? Or would my BG2 version number just be different?

Cloudbringer