Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2002, 06:18 PM   #1
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I'm pretty sure this wouldn't fit under Miscellenious CRPG Games, so I'm posting it here. One of my games, Civilization III, keeps giving me this error after approx. half an hour of playing. It says something like this: This application is running critically low on memory. I forget the rest. Then, after about 1-2 hours later, it quits because of a 'critical error' or something like that. If anyone can help, please do. I'll post the errors in more detail, the next time I get them. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2002, 06:31 PM   #2
andrewas
Harper

This should be under misc CRPGS. But to guess at an answer:

Your on a mac right? You havent gotten fed up of no chat access and bought a PC? (you really should, but lets not go there)

This phenomenon sounds like called a memory leak.

Most likley is you need to patch CIV III.

It could be because of an error in your virtual memory settings. This is a windows thing that got copied from unix. Macs have it too, but i dont know how they set it or even what they call it. Advice on all systems is the same: Add more physical RAM, leave virtual on auto.

Drivers maybe. Mac experts can help you there.

Was it you that posted you have an old version of the OS and cant afford a new one? If so it may finaly be catching up with you.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:43 PM   #3
Zidane
Manshoon

Go to your game application and click on it once to highlight it, do not open it.

Then do apple key and type i, it will give you a little screen with details on.

Click on memory and up the amount, according to how much RAM you have on your machine.

If it isn't apple i, I am sure it is the get info screen in your file menu.

I am typing this on my PC at the moment and I can't be bothered to go downstairs to check this on my Mac.

This will then allocate more memory to your game.

Another way of getting round it. When you first get the error message about running low on memory. Save. Then just quit your game and reload. A lot of games usually store stuff being used in a cache and reloading usually clears the cache, thus freeing up your space.

Hope this works.

Lady Zidane
Old 08-01-2002, 07:01 PM   #4
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Zidane....I have tried the memory thing many times before, no luck. I've tried upping it, lowering it, but I may have found the perfect one for now. I don't have as many errors popping up anymore.

Andrewas....do you know where I could get a patch, for Civ 3?
Old 08-02-2002, 07:58 AM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
There's this program you can download, called freeram. You can use it during games preventing it to land on your harddisc. Maybe that could help ?
Old 08-02-2002, 01:21 PM   #6
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
There's this program you can download, called freeram. You can use it during games preventing it to land on your harddisc. Maybe that could help ?
What....are you talking about?