Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2006, 03:28 AM   #1
TwilightKing
Dungeon Master

...TwilightKing Appears!!!! Quiver before my unholy might!!! MWA HAHAHA!!!

Seriously..

I'm back , sort of, didn't really leave. But I thought I'd drop in and say hi to everyone.

What's been up? Nothing DC related, unfortunately. But I hope to remedy that very soon!! I still read all the messages posted from the yahoo list, but since I don't have an account there anymore, I cannot reply to anything. So that has kinda led to me going into an extended absence. Then I remembered the forum, every few months or so I stop in and do a quick read.

But I havent had time to craft any dungeons. Been real busy: trying to find a new job, taking care of my shiny new baby (19 months old!), and anticipated the birth of ANOTHER shiny new baby!!! (wow..i've been busy!), plus throw in moving for the first time in 5 years, buying new vehicles, trying to learn new skills for a better job, etc. etc. etc. it ALL piles up into one great big stinking ball of sh...er...Life. and most, if not all, of my hobbies have slid into the realm of darkness.

Well, I just fired up DC last night (mostly due to the huge flurry of email activity going on) and man!! I wish I never forgot about it!! It's been too long, and I just may have to start this stuff all over again.

I see there's a contest going on...
Old 04-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

In regards to the yahoo thing, I thought about suggesting to some folks that we use the google/gmail groups b/c they are so friendly compared to yahoo, until I realized that you can't host any files or as best I can tell, use any attachments.
I suppose we could just email stuff around, but I like the idea of having someplace where people can get a file without asking me first.

Needless to say, if I can find somewhere with somoe freespace that allows files of larger than 1 MB and supports a forum, I'll set us up.

-manikus
Old 04-08-2006, 01:39 AM   #3
TwilightKing
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by manikus:

Needless to say, if I can find somewhere with somoe freespace that allows files of larger than 1 MB and supports a forum, I'll set us up.

-manikus
Well...I have some webspace (a LOT of space!!)
After I finish up a webproject I'm working on, I just might have to start a Dungeon Craft file repository. And yes, we can have a forum there!
Old 04-08-2006, 03:06 AM   #4
manikus
Jack Burton

I really think that a forum and repositroy together is the best way to draw and keep people, one-stop shopping if you will.
The ironworks forum and Ziroc are great. But, we are the smallest part of this site, and I've always thught a bigger forum with subforums would be nice. Imagine, a forum just for discussin of graphics or the GPDL

The trouble that I keep running into is the almighty dollar. There are a lot of free services out there. For example, I found a great site for hosting forums, but it's just a forum. As far as webhosting, there is nothing great for free. There's not even anything good. Most places make yahoo!groups look like the promised land. (Every email account I have offers better features than any webhosting sites I've found.)

Now, if I had more money, i.e. any to spend on webhosting, it's a different story

The best I can do right now is my http://dungeoncraft.beplaced.com website which allows individual files to be up to about 1.85 MB with about 50 MB or so of total storage *maybe it's 100 MB, can't quite remember at the moment).
By the by, I can and would love to host other people's stuff there as well. People can just email the files and I'll put them up.

-manikus
Old 04-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #5
TwilightKing
Dungeon Master

I pay for hosting ($5 bucks a month!!), I needed some space to host a resume and portfolio of sites I work on, as well as general gaming stuff. I have no problem setting up a section for DC. Their shouldn't be a ton of bandwidth being eaten up either (yet!), so that shouldn't be a problem.
Currently, I have 275MB of free space, and I can always upgrade later if I must.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:43 PM   #6
manikus
Jack Burton

Do you have any rstrictions on file size and type? Designs for DC are gong to be pretty big compared to the old FRUA designs. My Dungeoneer design is about 3.5 MB and Harri Polsa's Fury is about 15 MB.

-manikus
Old 04-08-2006, 08:07 PM   #7
TwilightKing
Dungeon Master

I should have no restrictions other than those I set, but I will double check. So far, I've upped a couple .zip files, the largest was agout 15megs. No problems thre!
Old 04-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #8
TwilightKing
Dungeon Master

Just looked into bandwidth, i have 25GB a month, and I can either upgrade or buy more bandwidth ($1 per GB)
Old 04-09-2006, 01:35 AM   #9
manikus
Jack Burton

Sounds like you already have more than enough for what we would need.
I would be more than willing to do whatever I can to help out.

What about forum software? I've been taking a look at phpBB, which is opensource and seems pretty good.

-manikus
Old 04-09-2006, 02:14 AM   #10
TwilightKing
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by manikus:
Sounds like you already have more than enough for what we would need.
I would be more than willing to do whatever I can to help out.

What about forum software? I've been taking a look at phpBB, which is opensource and seems pretty good.

-manikus
I already have SMF installed there. If you want to take a peek at it in action, go to
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/

I started a forum on my site (was going to do Play by post gaming) you can see how I customised the look here:

www.twilightsanctuary.net/roa/forum