Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2003, 02:28 PM   #11
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by spydar:
I must say that this original post kinda irritated me. Perhaps it's that I come from Canada so we think in more of a cultural mosaic kind of way rather than a melting pot so when someone speaks another language than us it's seen as part of our cultural diversity and we protect it. And I could say a whole hell of a lot about the supposed threat Canada poses to the states but I'd rather not piss people off.
I am not sure what the largest minorty group (that an oxymoron?) is in Canada, but I know theyre are alot of Japanese in Vancouver so I will use that as an example.

What happens when you start seeing Japanese writing on signs and then english in littler text? What happens when you start getting recorded messages that says 'If you would like to hear this message in Japanese, press one, if you like to hear the message in english, press two.'

But this isnt a debate about english vs other languages, that just a small part of it. As I said in my orginal posts, alot of drugs traffic through both countrys, and I have know some people in south texas who have suffered from repeated burglarys from illegal immigrants.

It is a problem, wether people like to accept it or not.

Hey I have no problem with people speaking a diffrent language...Among them selfs, 65% of the conversation when I visit my grandfathers house is spoken in German. But when dealing with a public matter, it goes to english.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 05-14-2003, 02:31 PM   #12
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
The language thing irritated me because THE UNITED STATES HAS NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE! Speak whatever you want to speak. [/QB]
Hey Djinn hows it going? Havent seen you around in a while.

I have seen a few sources that list English as the offical language, actaully I cant recall that I have ever seen it anywhere that states it doesnt have an offical language.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 05-14-2003, 02:32 PM   #13
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
I am not sure what the largest minorty group (that an oxymoron?) is in Canada, but I know theyre are alot of Japanese in Vancouver so I will use that as an example.

What happens when you start seeing Japanese writing on signs and then english in littler text? What happens when you start getting recorded messages that says 'If you would like to hear this message in Japanese, press one, if you like to hear the message in english, press two.'
Ever seen Blade Runner? We will be sprechenzie City Speak, wakarimasu ka?
Old 05-14-2003, 02:34 PM   #14
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Hey Djinn hows it going? Havent seen you around in a while.

I have seen a few sources that list English as the offical language, actaully I cant recall that I have ever seen it anywhere that states it doesnt have an offical language.
check it out: Not official.. but i would wager reputable.
NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE FOR USA
Old 05-14-2003, 02:35 PM   #15
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
quote:

Ever seen Blade Runner? We will be sprechenzie City Speak, wakarimasu ka? [/QUOTE] Actaully no, I never watched blade runner, I wanted too it seemed like, but never got around to it.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:45 PM   #16
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:

Again and we actually have that already at most ATM machines in Victoria and Vancouver. Push a button for french, english, and chinese. Could be a couple in Chinese for all i know, Cantonese, Mandarin.. I've pushed those buttons by mistake before..
Old 05-14-2003, 02:46 PM   #17
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Well this is an interesting bit here-

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/us.html

Quote:
Languages:
English, Spanish (spoken by a sizable minority)
But is that offical languages? If so then both English and Spanish would be the languages. But if spanish being spoke by a sizable minority makes it an offical language, then quiet a few other languages should be as well.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:50 PM   #18
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I would say that if we fortified the southern border, we would be depriving ourselves of a huge, motivated labor force that is embarrasingly cheap and quick to do the kind of jobs U.S. Citizens avoid, like lawn work in the broiling sun. We do not force these people to come here, but we benefit enormously from their labor. Why ruin a good thing?
Old 05-14-2003, 02:51 PM   #19
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
quote:

Ever seen Blade Runner? We will be sprechenzie City Speak, wakarimasu ka? [/QUOTE] Actaully no, I never watched blade runner, I wanted too it seemed like, but never got around to it.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:58 PM   #20
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Well this is an interesting bit here-

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/us.html

quote:

Languages:
English, Spanish (spoken by a sizable minority)
But is that offical languages? If so then both English and Spanish would be the languages. But if spanish being spoke by a sizable minority makes it an offical language, then quiet a few other languages should be as well. [/QUOTE]That's not official though. If you check here at the CIA factbook's Canada page you will note that it tells you when a language is official. Both french and english are tagged with (official) which is decidedly lacking from their page for the United States.

Check factbooks Canada page to see what they do for an 'official' language