Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2004, 06:09 AM   #1
Link
Jack Burton

Just got Feist's work recommended by both Earthdog (old member) and my nephew, and I like it a lot, although in Silverthorn it gets bad already. What are your opinions on the adventures of Pug?

Oh, and before I hit the post button:
SPOILER!!!
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
I thought Tomas' struggle with the Valheru Ashen Shugar was so incredibly lame. He only made that up so that Tomas had his little story as well, and not everything would be about Pug's adventures on Kelewan.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 04:26 PM   #2
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I think Feist is one of the most overrated authors I've ever read. His droll, narrative style just isn't all that interesting. And he seems to write fantasy for the sake of things being fantastical. That sounds stupid, I know, but compare him to someone like Frank Herbert, who implicitly uses his 'Dune' Sci Fi world to desribe themes and movements that could not be described in a contemporary setting.

I dunno, I just that Feist, like alot of Fantasy authors, is just gratuitous and bland.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:41 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

More often then not, I find the plot to be unoriginal and predictable. Still, I like his writing style, so I continue to buy his books. The character Pug is quite horrible. The Elminister of Feists storyline. He should just kill him off and be done with it. Fortunately, the characters improve (slightly) during the coming series.

Despite this rather negative review, I still like Feists work. In fact, I own most of it. Read some more books, then judge for yourself [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

Give David Eddings a try,I realy liked the characters in his stories.Like Sparhawk and his buddies.I think one of the first stories was "The Crystal (?) Princess+ or somthing like that.Been a long time since I read those..
Old 05-05-2004, 06:15 AM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

I have read Eddings (Belgariad!!) and his writing is loads better than Feist. Eddings has a lot of good humour in his books IMHO. Cracks me up a good many times [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I liked Feist in the beginng but like all fantasty authors who don't know when to end a series - can anyone say "Robert Jordan" or "Terry Brooks"? - Feist has killed the cash cow by continually milking every penny he can from her.

I'll withhold my comments on Eddings. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:33 PM   #7
Link
Jack Burton

*anxiously awaits comments on Eddings* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Totally agree with you on Jordan and Brooks, although I have to say that Brooks' "Heritage of Shannara" series is one of the most inventive and twisting fantasy book series I've ever read. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2004, 11:51 PM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Really, Link?! The Heritage series was that good? Truly I enjoyed the first trilogy of the Shannara series and even parts of the second series, but I eventually gave up. I may have to seriously look into the Heritage series. I remember the ending to The Elfstones of Shannara and was completely blindsided by the major twist at the end. If Hetitage is like that I'll be most pleased.

As for Eddings, well I tried his writings several times and found him sophmorically light.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:05 AM   #9
Link
Jack Burton

SLIGHT SPOILERS!!
~
~
~
~
Without spoiling too much: I (and I've heard this from others as well) hold the opinion that Brooks gets better and better along the way. Instead of delving further in his Lord of the Rings rip-off "Sword of Shannara", he explored the whole idea of magic a bit better. This started in the Elfstones, and went on in "The Wishsong of Shannara" (IMHO a great invention, that wishsong).

Instead of inventing new powerful enemies that don't show much inventiveness from the writer's side, Brooks created a grand story in the Heritage of Shannara, instead of 4 seperate stories. The beginning might seem lame, but it truly gets better along the way. The ending, for one thing, is more complex than you could ever imagine.

EDIT: About the Elfstones. Yeah, I never saw that plottwist coming either. What I admire most about the characters is that Will loved Amberle very much, and she loved him as well. Then you've got the gypsy girl (forgot her name) as well. What happens to Amberle is truly a great event story-telling wise, especially in the whole environment the characters are in at that particular moment. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 05-06-2004, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Link ]
Old 05-06-2004, 06:40 AM   #10
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Wasn't Sword of Shannara from Terry Brooks?
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote